Current Player #26 James Golding

Well done, young man.

Interesting to read KR’s comments about Andy Whing and Banbury where Golding has been on loan lately. It sounds as though we’re building another partnership there and with Banbury surely due to go from level 7 to level 6, we’re going to have another local club playing at a very competitive level (alongside Oxford City).

Exciting times for any youngster coming through our ranks.

Well done, young man.

Interesting to read KR’s comments about Andy Whing and Banbury where Golding has been on loan lately. It sounds as though we’re building another partnership there and with Banbury surely due to go from level 7 to level 6, we’re going to have another local club playing at a very competitive level (alongside Oxford City).

Exciting times for any youngster coming through our ranks.
Banbury* may well find themselves in National League North next season ( as might 'City too) if the do get promoted under Whingy-
though thinking of Banbury, - or Oxford for that matter - as being based in the North is mildly ridiculous

But yes, another local club who can be trusted to nurture and develop our young assets

..... *reminds me of a time many years ago, when I was working at a local factory. It was a Friday, the queue to clock out was beginning to grow in numbers, a few of us were sharing what plans we had for the forthcoming weekend. I informed that I was heading up north, DJing at a rare soul allnighter in Bradford, a very old chap chipped in , in a rural 'shire accent. " OIve bin upnorrrth , just the once mind... OIve been ter Baaaan burrry . Strrange fowkes therrre " ...thing is the old fella wasn't joking, he actually meant it !

Banbury* may well find themselves in National League North next season ( as might 'City too) if the do get promoted under Whingy-
though thinking of Banbury, - or Oxford for that matter - as being based in the North is mildly ridiculous

They are further north than Brackley (by about a mile)!

Out of curiosity, do Banbury & Brackley have much of a rivalry? I feel like they ought to, given their proximity, but I don't know if they've actually played eachother much over the years?

Gloucester city are in the national north and are significantly further south than both Brackley and Banbury

They are further north than Brackley (by about a mile)!

Out of curiosity, do Banbury & Brackley have much of a rivalry? I feel like they ought to, given their proximity, but I don't know if they've actually played eachother much over the years?
I went to Brackley a lot as a teen and the short answer is yes. But you're right they haven't played each other much, and not for a while (11/12 season when Brackley won the league, typically the year after I stopped going). They were in different regions of the Southern League so didn't really meet competitively until both reached the Southern League Premier - Banbury promoted Wycombe style after finishing 8th in 03/04 due to the creation of the Conference North/South, then Brackley went up as Champions in 06/07. So really only 5 years in recent times in the same league, but I do remember those games were feisty as anything. I also remember being clocked in the face by some young Banbury yob for daring to wear a Brackley shirt in their town centre. Not even a matchday, I was just there to buy some shoes.

I went to Brackley a lot as a teen and the short answer is yes. But you're right they haven't played each other much, and not for a while (11/12 season when Brackley won the league, typically the year after I stopped going). They were in different regions of the Southern League so didn't really meet competitively until both reached the Southern League Premier - Banbury promoted Wycombe style after finishing 8th in 03/04 due to the creation of the Conference North/South, then Brackley went up as Champions in 06/07. So really only 5 years in recent times in the same league, but I do remember those games were feisty as anything. I also remember being clocked in the face by some young Banbury yob for daring to wear a Brackley shirt in their town centre. Not even a matchday, I was just there to buy some shoes.
blimey! .... Oxford by comparison seems much more liberal (small L).... PL club shirts are on display pretty much every day, without even a raised eyebrow in Oxford city centre

That's terrible / hilarious! Southern League aggro.

Well done James Golding.
He is only 17 and has all if the attributes ( as well as a really good attitude apparently)
Maybe a loan to Conference South next season?
He did'nt look out of place in league one so aim for loan to at least the conference push for league 2

He did'nt look out of place in league one so aim for loan to at least the conference push for league 2
He did ok after getting told he was playing when he arrived. I think at least 1 year in the conference premier would do him no harm and he would be more ready when he is selected again.
Mind you almost scored, unlucky lad but we will see more of you I think the season after next. Well done.

Own goal of the season attempt aside, I thought he did well today and looked promising. He made a good challenge in the first half which definitely saved us, and was unlucky not to score near the end. He clearly wasn't as comfortable on his left, but he has plenty of years ahead to work on that, and when he did come inside on his right he played some very good cross field passes.

Own goal of the season attempt aside, I thought he did well today and looked promising. He made a good challenge in the first half which definitely saved us, and was unlucky not to score near the end. He clearly wasn't as comfortable on his left, but he has plenty of years ahead to work on that, and when he did come inside on his right he played some very good cross field passes.
I reckon that if Golding had not of back heeled the ball the Doncaster forward would of had a tap in! So should may be classed as a fantastic interception.

I would like to see Golding on the bench next season in the same way that McNally was at the start of this season. He looked very good and got more and more comfortable as the game went on. What a great character Cameron Brannagan is!!, give the MOTM champagne to Golding. Shame the young lad can't drink it yet.

I would like to see Golding on the bench next season in the same way that McNally was at the start of this season.

Far too early for that I’d say. He really grew into the game and looks a good prospect, but he needs to play mens’ football via a loan. He really shouldn’t be our back-up centre-back yet - it won’t do him or us any good at this stage.

He did himself proud today though - a highlight certainly.

Good. Robinson's ticked the 'promotes youth' box and we all want to send him out to Darlo.

Far too early for that I’d say. He really grew into the game and looks a good prospect, but he needs to play mens’ football via a loan. He really shouldn’t be our back-up centre-back yet - it won’t do him or us any good at this stage.

If he's good enough, he's old enough. It didn't stop Curtis Nelson at Plymouth. We could always wheel Mousinho out of retirement.

Totally agree.
I thought that his distribution was very good.
But he needs to bulk up- he didn't seem to me to win a lot in the air.
He has huge potential, but do people reply think that he should be back up CB against some of the classy centre forwards in this league?
At 17 to me he needs further time in a team higher than Banbury

Back
Top Bottom