General Jake Daniels

Hopefully he doesn't get much abuse but sadly he'll probably get loads.

Just seen he’s 17 years old - big balls at that age or perhaps that generation are more likely to bring this out into the open.

He’ll need strong mentors.

Just seen he’s 17 years old - big balls at that age or perhaps that generation are more likely to bring this out into the open.
People can give ‘the yoof’ all the stick they like (some of it can be valid at times, obviously) but the reality is that they’re the ones who will shape the agenda moving forward, whether the rest of society likes it or not. It’s their turn now, and acceptance and inclusivity is a huge part of what matters to them as a generation.

If expression, equality and not feeling the need to hide or be ashamed of who you are is going to continue becoming increasingly normal throughout society, bring it on.

Well done Jake. Incredible bravery, and I strongly believe 99.9% of football fans will be fully behind you. I think football has moved on a lot since the 70s and 80s.

Absolutely bloody brilliant 🏳️‍🌈

One glance at Twitter shows exactly why it's taken so long for this to happen, but this brave young man will hopefully feel the love more than the bigoted hate and will be a beacon for the others out there scared or hesitant to come out or whom are struggling with their sexuality.

Good on him. I wish him all the best. I know there will be some Neanderthals who'll use this to send abuse his way but those types will be made to feel unwelcome at games if they have those views.

I hope one day that any player's sexuality/coming out story isn't worry of media attention because it's so accepted. We need some trailblazers and good luck to Jake Daniels being one of them.

EDIT. Meanwhile …

… and a load of Twitter twats standing up for him on the grounds that he’s allowed to have these views due to his religion 🙄.

Last edited:
Great news to hear, I came out at a similar age so I can totally get when he talks about not trying to hide it, because it's exhausting. Constantly having to feign an interest in girls, watching what you say and how you act.

Unfortunately he will have to deal with jibes from the terraces as rival fans will no doubt try to use it as a stick to beat him with, but the onus is on the majority to call it out when we see it so they go crawling back into their homophobic troll holes as quickly as they appeared.

I'm sure there will be some who say that someone's sexuality is no ones business and doesn't need talking about. And whilst that's true in some areas of society, the fact that this is the first openly gay male footballer in 2022 shows that things need to change.

It's incredibly brave of Jake to come out in this way, and I wish him luck in and out of the game. I hope this makes others feel more comfortable in coming out, as I've no doubt that there are other footballers currently hiding their sexuality.

Sadly we heard of some comments at the Wycombe game that were completely unacceptable, and I'm sure that there are many other comments that don't get highlighted. No one should ever be seen as a lesser person simply because of who they fall in love with.

I just want to echo what has already been said on this thread. It’s a shame we’re having to admire his bravery. In this day and age a persons sexual orientation shouldn’t be an issue. If one of our players came out as gay I couldn’t give a monkeys and I’d hope that’s the way all team mates and fans would feel. I hope the lad is getting loads of support from his club and it paves the way for everyone to feel they can be open and honest about who they are.

I'm sure there will be some who say that someone's sexuality is no ones business and doesn't need talking about. And whilst that's true in some areas of society, the fact that this is the first openly gay male footballer in 2022 shows that things need to change.

It's incredibly brave of Jake to come out in this way, and I wish him luck in and out of the game. I hope this makes others feel more comfortable in coming out, as I've no doubt that there are other footballers currently hiding their sexuality.

Sadly we heard of some comments at the Wycombe game that were completely unacceptable, and I'm sure that there are many other comments that don't get highlighted. No one should ever be seen as a lesser person simply because of who they fall in love with.
Yeah, and I think for the people who say that it's important to remember someone's sexuality isn't just about 'what goes on behind closed doors'. It's being able to freely express who you love without fear of recrimination, being able to hold someone's hand in public without feeling frightened and being able to visit places without being attacked for who you are. Whilst some may have apathy towards this and wonder why this matters, it's because there's still discrimination around, and sexuality encompasses someone's whole being and is more than just about who you sleep with.

From what I've seen so far the reaction's been vastly positive, and I can sleep safer in the knowledge that people who don't like it are in the minority and that's not changing any time soon.

Another brave move especially with it being Refs. Good luck to them. No doubt the neanderthals won't be able to stop themselves.
Wow, very brave. But these days almost everyone has a gay friend or family member. It’s only the most sheltered and narrow minded people who would use sexuality as grounds for abuse

Back
Top Bottom