Ex Player Jack Stevens

If an offer comes in from Villa, Jack will go. End of story. Why the hell wouldn't he? The chance might never arise again.

The other side to all this is that an offer hasn't come in and there is no saying that on offer from Villa will ever come in, so Jack is an OUFC player, and a dam good 1 at that.

Indeed and his agent makes his main money if he moves so he’ll be encouraging him to sign. Show me one Oxford player who has turned down a big, lucrative move in recent times.
Joey Beauchamp Man City

Joey Beauchamp Man City
Maybe not a "big" move, but James Constable turned down Paolo Di Canio's transfer offer which was rumoured would have doubled his wages.

I realise not all footballers are just in it for the money, and that game time and club loyalty comes into it as well.

Look at for instance Emiliano Martinez who we had on loan from Arsenal. In nine years he went on loan to six clubs and made under 100 appearances in total before finally signing for well, Aston Villa of all clubs.

I'm sure he has picked up a decent wage in that time, and that generally goalkeepers mature later so 28 isn't that old. But I still wonder if he would have been better off doing a Roofe and dropping down the leagues to get game time and then moving back up.

Ooh I've got a good one!

Wycombe at home a couple of seasons ago, the Ruffels pin-up moment match, that goalie with the dreads. Absolutely woeful.
I think the fact you had to go back 4 years kind of proves my point but made me chuckle

Loyalty in football has gone especially since the introduction of agents and introduction of the Premier League
Agents are after all are doing their job in trying to get the best deal for their client
Jack Stevens agent will be telling him chance of a lifetime you will be set up for life whilst getting a nice little earner for himself
This is happening throughout football all Sky have done is put money into players and agents pockets this is filtering down through the leagues and soon many clubs will go the way of Bury
There is a fantastic book by John Nicholson called We want our Football Back I urge you to read it. Tells how Sky/Premier League have ruined football for the smaller clubs over the past 25 years

That report says nothing about an actual bid from Villa or anyone else merely makes a quote from April and also states unless a bid we cannot control so it's a nothing story and does not deny any sale would take place.

That report says nothing about an actual bid from Villa or anyone else merely makes a quote from April and also states unless a bid we cannot control so it's a nothing story and does not deny any sale would take place.
This summer would suggest there’s been interest/bid, In stevens and others.
Pleasing thing is the club have a figure in mind for each player.
And are prepared to turn away clubs who don’t match that.

What do you mean a quote from April? He mentions the Atkinson sale.

“He’s not going,” the U’s head coach said.
“There’s a price tag on our players and Jack appreciates that.
“It’s fantastic for him, but it’s also fantastic we said no.
“It’s not the only bid we’ve said no to.

He said in April: “If you look at the top teams, there’s no turnover of players, they’ve only got better.

“That’s a big learning curve for us.

“Unless the transfer fee becomes something we have no control over, we’ve got to be really brave in keeping all of these players moving forward.”

Back
Top Bottom