Ex Player Jack Stevens

Villa could buy him and re-loan him out, if they think it makes better financial sense long term to bid now rather than in a few years.

He wouldn’t be getting the premier league level coaching if he was on loan but I get your point.

I doubt we get huge money if that’s Villa’s plan, they would have one eye on perhaps selling him on for similar or more money if he doesn’t make it there, a low risk signing, so £2.5to £3.5 million? Be a bit gutting to lose our first team goalie for that sort of money to a prem club but it’s hard for us to turn down those sums for a player who will obviously want to go.

Hope it’s just paper talk, fair chance it is, and he stays here personally.

I doubt we would get anywhere near 2.5 million for a keeper. 1 to 1.5 million is probably more likely with add ons.

He wouldn’t be getting the premier league level coaching if he was on loan but I get your point.

I doubt we get huge money if that’s Villa’s plan, they would have one eye on perhaps selling him on for similar or more money if he doesn’t make it there, a low risk signing, so £2.5to £3.5 million? Be a bit gutting to lose our first team goalie for that sort of money to a prem club but it’s hard for us to turn down those sums for a player who will obviously want to go.

Hope it’s just paper talk, fair chance it is, and he stays here personally.
I don’t think we’d get that. Would we even get a million?

For Stevens who recently signed a new contract moving to a prem club? We sold Atkinson to Bristol City for more than that.
Yeah dunno, keepers don’t tend to go for huge amounts. We need to breed strikers if we want to make big sums consistently

Not often we're going to have a Prem team interested in one of our players, not to mention a club with one of the richest owners football.

Especially if they sell Grealish for the ridiculous amounts being suggested, 1mil+ might not be too unrealistic, even for a keeper.

You go to work on Monday and somebody offers to multiply your wages 10 fold or more if you go and work for them doing the same job.......................

Forget the fee that`ll just be buying out his contract and a bit extra.

He`ll go if the offer is genuine.

I'd say that's a season too soon for all parties.

Stevens needs a full season under his belt as number one, I don't think he's PL level yet. And we need the likes of Brearey and Plumley need to go out on loan to develop before they're suitable backup to Eastwood.
Honestly I am surprised if a PL team is in for him, unless they plan to loan out for a considerable period of time. Would be surprised if he was a starter in the Championship. We all got really excited when he first came in but as time went on, it's clear he has areas he really needs to work on. Don't get me wrong he has bags of potential, is our best keeper and I think he is going to be a top keeper. However, his distribution including kicking and taking balls in the air need improvement.

Yeah dunno, keepers don’t tend to go for huge amounts. We need to breed strikers if we want to make big sums consistently

They go for plenty to prem clubs, you don’t sell cheaper to clubs in the top tier than you do to clubs in the championship, if we can’t get a couple of million from Aston Villa who may well sell Grealish to City for a fortune then you would have to question the club, they are not Bristol City.

They go for plenty to prem clubs, you don’t sell cheaper to clubs in the top tier than you do to clubs in the championship, if we can’t get a couple of million from Aston Villa who may well sell Grealish to City for a fortune then you would have to question the club, they are not Bristol City.
However Jack would be going as a reserve rather than a starter. You may well be right, I have no idea.

However Jack would be going as a reserve rather than a starter. You may well be right, I have no idea.

Do you know what premier league reserves are on in wages? There are players who you never see play in that league whose transfer fee was more than a new ground would cost us.

We won’t get silly money but if you can’t get decent money from a premier league club like Aston Villa then whoever is doing the negotiations needs to be replaced.

This was always on the cards at some point.
A keeper who is nearly 32 doesn't sign a 3 year contract to sit on the bench indefinitely.
He will have been told that he will be back to number 1 when an acceptable offer comes in for Jack. We would have to loan another keeper as the other lads are not ready yet.

This was always on the cards at some point.
A keeper who is nearly 32 doesn't sign a 3 year contract to sit on the bench indefinitely.
He will have been told that he will be back to number 1 when an acceptable offer comes in for Jack. We would have to loan another keeper as the other lads are not ready yet.
Sadly probably about right

Think he definitely needs more time and more first team football. He's proven himself as a solid L1 keeper who clearly has more to come, but think Prem and even Champ level is probably a bit too soon for him right now.

Also desperate not to have Eastwood back in. Our start last season before Stevens was horrific and SE certainly was responsible for a lot of that.

Think he definitely needs more time and more first team football. He's proven himself as a solid L1 keeper who clearly has more to come, but think Prem and even Champ level is probably a bit too soon for him right now.

Also desperate not to have Eastwood back in. Our start last season before Stevens was horrific and SE certainly was responsible for a lot of that.

We should spend some of the Stevens money on a replacement for him in my opinion, Eastwood has been dire since coming back from his injury. Cost us in the play offs and then as you say played a big part in our bad start. He is just so slow, both off his line and getting across the goal that the defenders don’t trust him any more. Even as cover he was a strange signing for me, much better out there.

Back
Top Bottom