Jack Payne

West Oxon U’s

20171216_183549.jpg

Huddersfield keeping tabs on Jack (as you would expect them to do).

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/huddersfield-town-closely-monitoring-jack-14058508

Jack has been superb but I can't see him holding down a regular place in Huddersfields first team squad unless they drop into the bottom few and panic. 2 or 3 results can change things (Leicester/Everton look safe, Palace and West Ham climbing out the bottom few) - but a steady Christmas period should leave Huddersfield well placed.

By bigger concern would be Championship teams looking at taking him off us, either with a permanent deal or paying a decent fee to take him on loan.

In reality, Jack is too good for League 1 but hopefully we can cling on to him until the summer. I guess that without him we could go 2 upfront, but lets not worry about that just yet!!

Conflicted on Payne.

He's clearly a very very talented player, and on his day he's head and shoulders above this level, however he does have a bad game in three or four where he goes completely missing.

That said we would miss him massively if he went back. He's not a premier league player for me, so it will be a financial thing if Huddersfield decide to cash in on sending him to a Championship club. What does worry me is that I don't trust the club to bring in an adequate replacement if we did lose him.

Don't trust the club Juan? I would say it is completely out of our hands if Huddersfield want to get money from a Championship club - or even another LG1 club? He could/will be a massive loss.

Seems to me that Pep has built his team and planned his tactics around Jack Payne, the player seems reasonably happy to be getting regular match minutes under Pep, come January, (only a week or so away), question is will Pep be pushing for Payne to remain?

Not convinced about that, Dave T. Mowatt wouldn't shine in a coalmine and Hall hasn't the presence or will.

Jack has been superb but I can't see him holding down a regular place in Huddersfields first team squad unless they drop into the bottom few and panic. 2 or 3 results can change things (Leicester/Everton look safe, Palace and West Ham climbing out the bottom few) - but a steady Christmas period should leave Huddersfield well placed.

By bigger concern would be Championship teams looking at taking him off us, either with a permanent deal or paying a decent fee to take him on loan.

In reality, Jack is too good for League 1 but hopefully we can cling on to him until the summer. I guess that without him we could go 2 upfront, but lets not worry about that just yet!!

But even with Jack Payne we ought to go 2 up front with Jack just behind

Never have and never will like the loan system.. Get your squad in place and if you have injuries use your youth players...if it must be used then enforce full season loans so every club knows where they stand.

There is also too much made of the Jan transfer window as it's rare for the players you need to be available, it is just over hyped by the likes of Sky.

I think in rob hall u might already have that replacement. He’s not been great on the rw, and showed with his goal at Swindon how effective he can be in behind the striker. Then there is also mowatt who hasn’t really shone yet, but hasn’t had a run in that position
Mowatt is nowhere near the same quality as Payne, sorry but hes been poor in the games I've watched at the breeze block.

I can’t see Jack getting regular games in the Premier league. At this moment in time he’s a decent Championship player. He’d be far better served staying with us where he’s guaranteed games. Huddersfield don’t really need him at present.

Agree if we are going 433 with someone like lego or Ivo in a defensive role, but if we do that as we currently are with Henry + 1 out wide it would leave way to light in the middle.
What about 4 3 1 2 or 5 2 1 2

It must just be me, but in many of the games I’ve seen (not as many as previous years) Payne hasn’t been that good.

He’s very good at looking dangerous, without ever actually being dangerous.

Now, maybe this is down to the players who are around him in some cases, and the lack of width for him to have options to pass into dangerous areas.

Whilst he is clearly good enough to be in the side at present, he’s not a Roofe or a Maguire at their best, if he’s really a championship quality attacking player I’d like a bit more from him in the way of goals etc

Conflicted on Payne.

He's clearly a very very talented player, and on his day he's head and shoulders above this level, however he does have a bad game in three or four where he goes completely missing.

That said we would miss him massively if he went back. He's not a premier league player for me, so it will be a financial thing if Huddersfield decide to cash in on sending him to a Championship club. What does worry me is that I don't trust the club to bring in an adequate replacement if we did lose him.
He doesn't go missing. The opposition do their homework and mark him out the game. Unfortunately we don't have any similar quality around him to capitalise on the remaining space. Reminiscent of Graham Atkinson who was too intelligent for the level he was playing at. Clever moves but no-one on his wavelength..

It must just be me, but in many of the games I’ve seen (not as many as previous years) Payne hasn’t been that good.

He’s very good at looking dangerous, without ever actually being dangerous.

Now, maybe this is down to the players who are around him in some cases, and the lack of width for him to have options to pass into dangerous areas.

Whilst he is clearly good enough to be in the side at present, he’s not a Roofe or a Maguire at their best, if he’s really a championship quality attacking player I’d like a bit more from him in the way of goals etc

He has 3 goals and 9 assists in the league; that's direct involvement in over a third of our league goals this season. So I think that may be a little harsh on your part in my opinion.

He doesn't go missing. The opposition do their homework and mark him out the game. Unfortunately we don't have any similar quality around him to capitalise on the remaining space. Reminiscent of Graham Atkinson who was too intelligent for the level he was playing at. Clever moves but no-one on his wavelength..

..... though Graham Atkinson did often have his minder/ brother, Big Ron aka Tank, on the pitch, so any niggles or off the ball snidey elbows or ankle taps given out to Graham were soon reciprocated, and then some, by Tank...... sadly in these different times, Jack Payne, if marked out the game, or literally marked, has no similar minder in the current set up on pitch!

He has 3 goals and 9 assists in the league; that's direct involvement in over a third of our league goals this season. So I think that may be a little harsh on your part in my opinion.

As I said, I can only base my opinion on the games I’ve seen. Maybe it’s because the games I’ve seen haven’t been his best performances but I’ve not been as impressed as I was expecting to be based on the rave reviews that I was seeing on here.

Don’t allow clear as day facts to ruin the argument.

I don't think Payne would be getting into Huddersfields first team but I wouldn't be surprised if he was recalled by them and then immediately sent back out on loan to a championship team

Back
Top Bottom