General Ivo Pekalski

You are nowhere near. Not even by half.

Yeah, suppose so. 2 grand a week is 100k a year, so pretty standard.
Plus the original fee (can't remember, 200k was it?)
Plus paying off his contract, what, 15 or 20 grand.

Still would have liked to have seen what he could do, mind.

Probably the worst signing I can remember. Up there with Doudou and Grobbelaar.

Above both of them by far as they wouldn't have cost the club as much. Tbf to Grobbelaar, he was only signed as cover on a short term deal.

Last edited:
I reckon only Henry and Brannagan are on more then that.

I reckon quite a few would be. Garbutt's wages wouldn't be low-cost, even if we're paying a fraction of them. Getting in a recognisable name like Mackie can't have been cheap either. Reckon Eastwood is on at least that after he signed his new deal with us.

Worth bearing in mind that he was loaned back to Halmstad for 4-and-a-half months, and I wouldn't believe we'd ship him out without getting the other side to fork up for his wages.

Above both of them by far as they wouldn't have cost the club as much. Tbf to Grobbelaar, he was only signed as cover on a short term deal.

They actually played, Pekalski never featured for a second, cost a fee and was reportedly a high earner.

Worst ever signing for me.

Grobbelaar, whatever happened to him???

He signed a programme for me pre match.... found him "looking lost" outside the LRT turnstiles! IIRC it wasn`t long after certain allegations around match fixing, betting and brown bags full of cash. :)(y)

I, along with a few others, witnessed/ saw probably one of, if not the only time(s) he appeared in an OUFC shirt.... oxford senior cup at CPF (V City) last season
he played around 60 mins ...defensive midfield

Lest we forget, he did pick up some points when in Oxford ...

He won't ever slip into the worst every player debate but he's firmly in the top five worst signings we've ever made. Expensive to bring here, expensive to maintain, incapable of being involved under Pep and finally unwanted by KR. Boomeranged back to us after his Swedish loan spell meaning we were laboured with his wage demands for another couple of months. A disaster of a signing, in truth.

That said, it can't have been easy for him and we can't hold the affair against him. He came here hoping to play and left thanking his stars that he could do it before his contract ran out, I would guess.

Lest we forget, he did pick up some points when in Oxford ...

He won't ever slip into the worst every player debate but he's firmly in the top five worst signings we've ever made. Expensive to bring here, expensive to maintain, incapable of being involved under Pep and finally unwanted by KR. Boomeranged back to us after his Swedish loan spell meaning we were laboured with his wage demands for another couple of months. A disaster of a signing, in truth.

That said, it can't have been easy for him and we can't hold the affair against him. He came here hoping to play and left thanking his stars that he could do it before his contract ran out, I would guess.
To be fair it wasn’t his ‘wage demands’, he was still under contract. It’s not fair to call him our worst signing if he never got a chance to play. At least he didn’t actually cost us points, like Eddie Hutchinson did

Clotet didn't focus much on this signing.

I hope it works out for him but he must have won Peps L reg metro for the least improved player outright

i actually feel sorry for Pekalski and hope he can get his career back on track. I think it was reported when he signed that he’s suffered with mental illness in the past and nobody can deny that he’s had to endure nearly two years of set backs that can’t have helped his emotional state. Especially in a foreign country, away from his family and close friends. Through no fault of his own he suffered a bad injury - one that Robinson himself said reduced him to tears when it happened to Shandon - at a really unfortunate time. There was then a change of manager and the new manager, rightly or wrongly wrote him off as unwanted straight away. As AbbeyOx says, you do have to wonder what might have been, he’s played for his country so there must be a good player in there somewhere. I wish him well.

To be fair it wasn’t his ‘wage demands’, he was still under contract. It’s not fair to call him our worst signing if he never got a chance to play. At least he didn’t actually cost us points, like Eddie Hutchinson did

Maintaining a theme of fairness, it's not Eddie Hutchinson's fault that he cost us points!

He was shite though.

Think it's been playing up front for us. Lacks power and pace. Also easy to outjump. but not bad in city traffic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom