General Ivo Pekalski

Wouldn't have thought playing him would be any worse than playing Hanson while Baptiste is injured? But then maybe Heap should get a runout?
And actually I think our best midfield is probably a three of Ruffles, Mousinho & Brannagan.
It's a shame that Ruffs has to play at left back. In hindsight it was probably a mistake to release Freddie Grant & Miles Welch-Hayes, let alone Ricardinho.
Really? Welch Hayes and Grant. Where exactly are they playing now? A much lower level which says it all.

Wouldn't have thought playing him would be any worse than playing Hanson while Baptiste is injured? But then maybe Heap should get a runout?
And actually I think our best midfield is probably a three of Ruffles, Mousinho & Brannagan.
It's a shame that Ruffs has to play at left back. In hindsight it was probably a mistake to release Freddie Grant & Miles Welch-Hayes, let alone Ricardinho.

Hopefully we'll get a left back in January, I think Ruffles has been an absolute pro covering a position which is not natural to him. If we do get a LB in January I hope Robbo rewards Ruffles with some game time in midfield

Hopefully we'll get a left back in January, I think Ruffles has been an absolute pro covering a position which is not natural to him. If we do get a LB in January I hope Robbo rewards Ruffles with some game time in midfield
I doubt selection policy works like that!

I do agree that Ruffels has done well at left back. However, I'm not sure who he would replace in the starting midfield lineup (if that is Mousinho, Brannagan, Henry plus two wide players), and wonder whether it's worth sticking with what has become a pretty mean defence and not disrupting the midfield by simply continuing to play him at left back? As you say, he is a pro - so I am sure he would rather play at left back rather than not play in midfield!

I reckon the aim will be to move pekalski on as cheaply as possible, so that will effect whether he plays, probably destined to never be seen in a first team fixture and be remembered for that.

From watching some videos of Pekalski's recent playing time he looks to be a pretty useful defensive midfielder. Looked no less mobile than Mousinho or Hanson with some decent passing

From watching some videos of Pekalski's recent playing time he looks to be a pretty useful defensive midfielder. Looked no less mobile than Mousinho or Hanson with some decent passing
Can you post any of those vids on here? It would be interesting to see what he’s like.

Really? Welch Hayes and Grant. Where exactly are they playing now? A much lower level which says it all.
Being at a lower level doesn't necessarily say it all though, particularly for young players like these two. The overall standard of the side, does not automatically indicate the standard of the player, either now or in particular their potential ceiling in the future.

For those that are interested - Welch-Hayes is in League 2 (for now) with Macclesfield - but their general struggles this season make it difficult to judge any individuals at the moment, so jury is out on him for now.
Grant is a regular for Conference south Wealdstone after doing well for City last season - Wouldn't surprise me if he works his way back up to a league side as well, he was generally well regarded while here, and it was a bit of a surprise he was allowed to go when he did. So, I wouldn't necessarily write him off yet and had he stayed here and we had had the devs functioning properly while he did, then there is nothing to say that by now he wouldnt be capable of featuring for the first team. (I'm not saying he definately WOULD, I'm just saying that we cannot say he definately WOULDN'T have been up to it).

It's worth keeping an eye on a few of our former youngsters who are currently at that level - Grant & Robbie Cundy (BAth) are doing very well, Josh Ashby (City), JAmes Roberts (Hereford) are not lost causes yet, while former youth-team centre-half Marvin Ekpiteta is having a fantastic season at Orient and seems destined to progress. Forward Jordan Graham (not that one) is also now breaking into the Mansfield side in League Two after leaving us.

Yet his replacement, Garbutt, is unlikely to be cheaper. And he hasn't achieved a fraction of the impact of our former twinkle-toed Brazilian...
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If you look at the Forum page on Garbutt when his signing was announced, he was considered a quality acquisition. The fact that he had hardly played for 2 years was maybe a better indicator of what we might expect. If Ruffels is keeping him out on merit, which I agree with, then we need Garbutt to return to Everton in January and get someone else in who is a proven quality left back.

It was a deliberate decision not it trigger the extra year, not a cockup.

We definitely offered a contract, which he declined.

If he’d’ve accepted it, he would’ve still been with us, albeit on a lesser wage.

So neither a deliberate decision, nor a cock-up. I accept KR had no expectation that Ricardinho would sign on reduced terms.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If you look at the Forum page on Garbutt when his signing was announced, he was considered a quality acquisition. The fact that he had hardly played for 2 years was maybe a better indicator of what we might expect. If Ruffels is keeping him out on merit, which I agree with, then we need Garbutt to return to Everton in January and get someone else in who is a proven quality left back.
I agree and while Ruffells isn't a natural left back. He is a decent utility player who always puts a shift in. Wherever he's asked to play and TBH I would far prefer local boys like himself in the team than overpaid supposed superstars of the future.
You could also say pretty much the same of Sam Long who given an injury free run will IMO to be a useful asset.

It’s all gone a bit quiet about Pekalski, is he back training with us? Has robbo decided he’s not good enough even with a light squad ?

Back
Top Bottom