Italy vs Austria

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
But we rode our luck in all 3, we were going to qualify whatever but we were below par and Kane for the first 2 games was poor.
I would like to see Saka start on Tuesday but he won’t, will Southgate set us up to defend or will he adapt to the Germans play?

I don’t think England rode their luck at all. The odd chance here and there and Pickford made the occasional save when called upon. Scotland perhaps came closest but England never looked in danger in either of the three group games. It’s five clean sheets in a row now which is good going for a side that’s main criticism has been the defence.

Saka did his chances no harm against the Czechs. I’d like to see him start on Tuesday. Kane has been a disappointment so far. He looks leggy and tired although he’s too good a player to stay down for long. I hope for his and England’s sake that he can kick start things against Germany.

We'll see.

I don't think the Czechs or the Croats were mugs.
No they weren’t but were equal, it may sound daft but it it were easy we would have won more comfortably but we took risks and rode our luck it’s something we can I’ll afford to do.

I don’t think England rode their luck at all. The odd chance here and there and Pickford made the occasional save when called upon. Scotland perhaps came closest but England never looked in danger in either of the three group games. It’s five clean sheets in a row now which is good going for a side that’s main criticism has been the defence.

Saka did his chances no harm against the Czechs. I’d like to see him start on Tuesday. Kane has been a disappointment so far. He looks leggy and tired although he’s too good a player to stay down for long.

And If we win by a single goal and ride our luck and Kane yet again comes up short and his ratings
Near the bottom out of the England team, do we drop? Yes we do we can’t rely on someone who isn’t producing the goods. It seems some of the pundits think he is undroppable that’s totally crap.

Kane has been a disappointment so far. He looks leggy and tired although he’s too good a player to stay down for long.
I don’t think he’s fully fit. He can barely even sprint in a way that looks like something really isn’t right, and when he does he’s missing at least a yard. That he’s been subbed more than once in the groups also suggests that something is up. To me he looks like someone struggling rather than someone who is a bit tired…

I don’t think he’s fully fit. He can barely even sprint in a way that looks like something really isn’t right, and when he does he’s missing at least a yard. That he’s been subbed more than once in the groups also suggests that something is up. To me he looks like someone struggling rather than someone who is a bit tired…
I agree with you, but he claims he is fully fit, and if he was struggling with some kind of injury/niggle why wouldn’t he be rested for the Czech game since we were already through?

Nice to read someone else who thinks the same. The amount of people who have said he can’t be dropped he was father golden boot winner in the World Cup he isn’t getting service and the usual blah blah blah.
I agree something isn’t right and as we know he will play against the Germans but if his performance matches his first two games in the tournament then if we get through, surely Southgate has to consider options for the next game.

Nice to read someone else who thinks the same. The amount of people who have said he can’t be dropped he was father golden boot winner in the World Cup he isn’t getting service and the usual blah blah blah.
I agree something isn’t right and as we know he will play against the Germans but if his performance matches his first two games in the tournament then if we get through, surely Southgate has to consider options for the next game.

Score a goal and he'll go on a run, a la Matty Taylor.

Kane is old school in that IMO he needs games in his legs to get up to speed. Coupled with not white being fully fit and you get what you’ve seen so far.

From memory, he hasn’t exactly had any clear chances ( I didn’t see much of the Czech game ) so it’s not as if he’s missing sitters.

The way England play, he won’t be dropped unless he’s injured. He also has the respect of the opposition which we’d lose if he isn’t selected.

Keep the faith with Kane. He’ll notch v the Germans and go on a run.

Kane is old school in that IMO he needs games in his legs to get up to speed. Coupled with not white being fully fit and you get what you’ve seen so far.

From memory, he hasn’t exactly had any clear chances ( I didn’t see much of the Czech game ) so it’s not as if he’s missing sitters.

The way England play, he won’t be dropped unless he’s injured. He also has the respect of the opposition which we’d lose if he isn’t selected.

Keep the faith with Kane. He’ll notch v the Germans and go on a run.
Biggest load of crap I’ve read…” He also has the respect of the opposition which we’d lose if he isn’t selected “ jeez some people.
Kane maybe old school in your opinion he needs games to get up to speed….well old son he should already be up to speed if not he shouldn’t be selected.

I think that's the point. I didn't enjoy England's performances in the group stage. But I accept that qualification for the knockout section is an aim. Now that we have done that, we are going to have to up our game considerably, If we can and do - fair do's. Tuesday will (hopefully!) be interesting.
Pretty much what I think. The first part of the job was professionally done, but it certainly wasn't great watching. At times we were unnecessarily cautious and slow, but I'd have taken it before we started.

If I was a neutral however, I'd have switched off all 3 games before the end.

Biggest load of crap I’ve read…” He also has the respect of the opposition which we’d lose if he isn’t selected “ jeez some people.
Kane maybe old school in your opinion he needs games to get up to speed….well old son he should already be up to speed if not he shouldn’t be selected.

Ok.

Put it this way.

We are playing a top nation.

Who do you think will get more respect from the opposition. Who will they worry about more?

Calvert-Lewin or Harry Kane?

That’s the problem - there’s no feasible alternative to Harry Kane for England.

I personally would have rested him for the Czech game though and brought him back, fresh, for Germany.

That’s the problem - there’s no feasible alternative to Harry Kane for England.

I personally would have rested him for the Czech game though and brought him back, fresh, for Germany.

A week between the games is plenty of time.

Ok.

Put it this way.

We are playing a top nation.

Who do you think will get more respect from the opposition. Who will they worry about more?

Calvert-Lewin or Harry Kane?
Well I don’t think he’s done anything in the group games to earn respect so far.

Back
Top Bottom