Italy vs Austria

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
But England have to according to England fans. Every minute of every game should be nothing but purring perfection.

2-0 to Italy. Done and dusted.
Not at all , but it would be nice to try attacking , score a couple of goals especially at home against Scotland or Czech Rep !

So you don't think knowing you can play well is good for a teams belief and confidence?

England played well enough to win two games and qualify for the knockout stage with ease.

We qualified from a very weak group . I expect that , I would love a little bit of quality and shots/ goals as well
Call me old Mr Picky but I want to see better from us.

I don't know that it was a weak group at all.

I think the Czechs and Croats are both superior to the Austrians. Scotland is it's own thing. Check out the head-to-head results.

Denmark, who struggled to qualify, smashed Wales who looked pretty impressive. It's not clear which groups are strong and which are not.

(With the the obvious exception of the Fra/Ger/Por/Hun group)

England played well enough to win two games and qualify for the knockout stage with ease.
That's one way to not answer the question.

I thought that was a cracking game. Fair play to the Austrians, because they played there part, and deserved there goal over 120 mins. They can hold there heads up high, because they did themselves proud.

The Italians just do enough, and had the little bit of extra quality when it mattered.

Italy v Belgium or Portugal whoever they play will be tough.

Another good night for VAR too.

I think the Czechs and Croats are both superior to the Austrians. Scotland is it's own thing. Check out the head-to-head results.

Denmark, who struggled to qualify, smashed Wales who looked pretty impressive. It's not clear which groups are strong and which are not.

I think results and performances will show it was. Scotland are half the side they used to be when we regularly played them although tried 100%
Denmark have had the worst thing that could ever happen on a football pitch and now are playing for Chritian .
Ukraine are a good side ...watch them go against Sweden 😄

What games were you watching then? No ease about it all. Play like that against the Germans and our time in this competition will be up.

Last edited:
What hands were you watching then? No ease about it all. Play like that against the Germans and our time in this competition will be up.

Both games were easy, Baz. England went in front and stayed there. It’s like a boxer holding the centre of the ring when they know they’re ahead on points. You don’t have to go for the KO if you’re in round 10 and ahead. England kept both Czech Republic (who they lost to in qualifying lest we forget) and Croatia (World Cup finalists only three years ago) at bay. The Scotland game smarts because people want the bragging rights but they didn’t lose it.

I don’t think it’s a case of England needing to be ‘better’ but play differently against the better sides. Move the ball quicker, use the pace in the channels, provide more service to Kane and for the England captain to get involved more. England have done enough to get through. That’s al that needs to be said. No point bemoaning the group stage when they’ve qualified top of it!

Austria proved today that sides can adapt. They were far more entertaining and adventurous than their group stage games. Why not see if England do the same?

What hands were you watching then? No ease about it all. Play like that against the Germans and our time in this competition will be up.

We qualified with a game to spare, finished 3 points ahead of the next best, and had the best goal difference. We didn’t concede a goal.

If that isn't easily then I don't know what is

I think results and performances will show it was. Scotland are half the side they used to be when we regularly played them although tried 100%
Denmark have had the worst thing that could ever happen on a football pitch and now are playing for Chritian .
Ukraine are a good side ...watch them go against Sweden 😄

You're right, we will see.

Both games were easy, Baz. England went in front and stayed there. It’s like a boxer holding the centre of the ring when they know they’re ahead on points. You don’t have to go for the KO if you’re in round 10 and ahead. England kept both Czech Republic (who they lost to in qualifying lest we forget) and Croatia (World Cup finalists only three years ago) at bay. The Scotland game smarts because people want the bragging rights but they didn’t lose it.

I don’t think it’s a case of England needing to be ‘better’ but play differently against the better sides. Move the ball quicker, use the pace in the channels, provide more service to Kane and for the England captain to get involved more. England have done enough to get through. That’s al that needs to be said. No point bemoaning the group stage when they’ve qualified top of it!

Austria proved today that sides can adapt. They were far more entertaining and adventurous than their group stage games. Why not see if England do the same?
But we rode our luck in all 3, we were going to qualify whatever but we were below par and Kane for the first 2 games was poor.
I would like to see Saka start on Tuesday but he won’t, will Southgate set us up to defend or will he adapt to the Germans play?

We qualified with a game to spare, finished 3 points ahead of the next best, and had the best goal difference. We didn’t concede a goal.

Come the start of the game on Tuesday and I will be thinking the same.

Do me a favour yes we were the top goals ordered if the group played 3 won 2 drew won lost 0 goals for 2 goals against 0. Yes very impressive but if we were in any of the other groups that stat would be a lot different.

I think that's the point. I didn't enjoy England's performances in the group stage. But I accept that qualification for the knockout section is an aim. Now that we have done that, we are going to have to up our game considerably, If we can and do - fair do's. Tuesday will (hopefully!) be interesting.

Do me a favour yes we were the top goals ordered if the group played 3 won 2 drew won lost 0 goals for 2 goals against 0. Yes very impressive but if we were in any of the other groups that stat would be a lot different.

We'll see.

I don't think the Czechs or the Croats were mugs.

Back
Top Bottom