International News Israeli is a racist state operating ethnic cleansing

Another religious problem intertwined with race that is so rooted in history we will never understand it.
To look at it with our pre-determined values will never work.

"You will be uprooted from the land you are entering to possess. Then the Lord will scatter you among all nations, from one end of the earth to the other."
(Deuteronomy 28:63-64)

Jews aren’t a race, and nor are Palestinians. Unless something has changed?

Depends how far back you want to go or which direction.... just the usual toxic mix of "stuff".

Best left well alone.

It’s a tough call on the first one. When your religion is by definition passed on from your mother, it kind of means it represents a highly related subpopulation. Not really sure how that differs from a race.

BBC on the Israeli constitution change voted in in July 2018.

"Called The Basic Law: Israel as the Nation State of the Jewish People, the legislation essentially defines Israel first and foremost as a Jewish state.
Among its 11 provisions, it describes Israel as "the national home of the Jewish people" and says the right to exercise national self-determination there is "unique to the Jewish people"."

So the israeli state says Jews are a race, and the constitution formalised the truth underlying the activities of the state of israel since its formation that the indigenous Palestinians, the autochthonous population, is denied the right to move freely or to decide where they live. In fact theatre terrorised, raped and murdered to force them to leave territory claimed by the occupying colony.

I don't think the colonists in America, Australia, New Zealand, Sakhalin or any other dignified the populations they displaced as a 'race' in many cases. That is an irrelevance the state of israel is racist because it refuses rights and activity tries to force out or eradicate Arab people regardless of their religion, Iislam or christianity.

Here's a bit of summary from the Human Rights Watch report: A Threshold Crossed Israeli Authorities and the Crimes of Apartheid and Persecution

"On the basis of its research, Human Rights Watch concludes that the Israeli government has demonstrated an intent to maintain the domination of Jewish Israelis over Palestinians across Israel and the OPT*. In the OPT, including East Jerusalem, that intent has been coupled with systematic oppression of Palestinians and inhumane acts committed against them. When these three elements occur together, they amount to the crime of apartheid.

Israeli officials have also committed the crime against humanity of persecution.
This finding is based on the discriminatory intent behind Israel’s treatment of Palestinians and the grave abuses carried out in the OPT that include the widespread confiscation of privately owned land, the effective prohibition on building or living in many areas, the mass denial of residency rights, and sweeping, decades-long restrictions on the freedom of movement and basic civil rights. Such policies and practices intentionally and severely deprive millions of Palestinians of key fundamental rights, including to residency, private property, and access to land, services, and resources, on a widespread and systematic basis by virtue of their identity as Palestinians."

* Occupied Palestinian Territory

I suspect I agree with Paul but think I’d rather stick to discussion of Sam Long and the like here

Religion of all kinds is anathema to me... flipping sky fairies and similar hocus pocus.

Technically speaking humans are one race. Race as we know it, in many ways, is a social construct. Given that there are a number of definitions of race, Jews and Palestinians can view themselves as separate races of people and in many cases do so. I'm jewish and view it as my race and ethnic background. Most of the far right do too. I'm not religious at all. All the negative tropes about Jews are based on the view of them being a race. All the racism I have experienced is based on that.

It is what both us us said, I think. I'd say it's a bit like the Guardian is here.

It is what both us us said, I think. I'd say it's a bit like the Guardian is here.
I think it is very critical of the human rights abuses commited by Israel. I imagine the state hates the publication. I think it more left wing than the Guardian personally.

Certainly by Israeli standards what you say is near enough to correct. What Haaretz doesn't do is to address the issue of israel being a colonial state bent on removing all Palestinians from within the territory it claims, like the Guardian makes no real critique of capitalism.

But thanks for reading the thread. I'm not getting into discussions here if I can avoid it. I just aim to record some of the atrocities.

Yes but this is not about religion, it is about the persecution of the Palestinian people.
With a hefty dose of religion on the side.
Hamas is a Sunni - Islamic fundamentalist organisation.

Is there ever going to be an acceptable solution to the situation? I doubt it in my lifetime and, as ever, it's the people that suffer.