Manager/Coach Is KR a looney?

Quickheart

"I probably sound like a broken record but we have been playing well and we haven’t conceded many goals” Karl Robinson told iFollow earlier today.

We have conceded 15 goals in the league. Only Bolton and Southend have shipped more and Bolton, up to now, have had only three senior outfield players.

Is he hallucinating?

"I probably sound like a broken record but we have been playing well and we haven’t conceded many goals” Karl Robinson told iFollow earlier today.

We have conceded 15 goals in the league. Only Bolton and Southend have shipped more and Bolton, up to now, have had only three senior outfield players.

Is he hallucinating?
Robbo isn’t a loony he just likes talking s**t

Is he hallucinating?

If you listen properly he is actually talking about not conceding many opportunities for the opposition.

Most goals have come from set pieces this season.

If you also look at the stats then we have had 89 shots on goal this season in the league. That's an average of 12.7 shots per game.

Against us we have had 73 shots (10.4 per game). Of those 73 shots 31 have been on target. We have conceded 15 goals. That shows that the away teams are currently much more clinical than us.

The defence needs to cut out stupid mistakes and we need to be better at defending set pieces but over all we aren't too far away. With Matty Taylor coming back to fitness, Mackie and Agyie getting closer each week then I think we are going to be more than fine.

If you listen properly he is actually talking about not conceding many opportunities for the opposition.
That's a bit unfair on the poster. Read the lead article on the front page of the website. The comms team have misquoted Robinson very badly, and what the poster quoted is what is STILL up there. I think people are entitled to suppose that the OWS is quoting the manager correctly without having to watch the video to make sure!

If you also look at the stats then we have had 89 shots on goal this season in the league. That's an average of 12.7 shots per game.

Against us we have had 73 shots (10.4 per game). Of those 73 shots 31 have been on target. We have conceded 15 goals. That shows that the away teams are currently much more clinical than us.

The defence needs to cut out stupid mistakes and we need to be better at defending set pieces but over all we aren't too far away. With Matty Taylor coming back to fitness, Mackie and Agyie getting closer each week then I think we are going to be more than fine.

That would seem to match with my comment the other week (think Coventry game), whereby, we seem to have moments e.g. not long drawn out issues when we switch off and concede.

Albert Einstein - Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

I think it’s reasonable to expect that 50% conversion for opposition shots on target will dip.

Twin that with Experimental361 expected goals against sitting at around 9...we have conceded 15.

KR is correct we haven’t given up lots of high quality chances...admittedly 7 games or so isn’t a big sample to come to conclusions - but I would expect the rate at which we concede to drop.

Tactically we could go 3 in midfield or drop long in at RB and push Cadden forwards but we have been pretty unlucky with teams scoring low quality chances (plus a few penalties!)

I think it’s reasonable to expect that 50% conversion for opposition shots on target will dip.

Twin that with Experimental361 expected goals against sitting at around 9...we have conceded 15.

KR is correct we haven’t given up lots of high quality chances...admittedly 7 games or so isn’t a big sample to come to conclusions - but I would expect the rate at which we concede to drop.

Tactically we could go 3 in midfield or drop long in at RB and push Cadden forwards but we have been pretty unlucky with teams scoring low quality chances (plus a few penalties!)

I think if you look at our team we should maybe expect a couple of months of inconsistency. Dickie, Hanson, Moore, Cadden, Brannagan, Baptiste, Fosu and Woodburn are all under 24. That is very young side with a lot of development still to be made. None of them are the finished article yet and it is no surprise that there is moments where they lack concentration. That will come with more games individually and as a team.

Also for me it is playing with a system where it is easy to adapt with and without the ball. With the ball you are 4231 but without it you can have 2 of the 3 drop in to make a 4.

I wouldn't mind seeing this team play in a midfield diamond as I think we have the players to play it.

I’ve not been sold on Eastwood since he came back from his injury. Before then he was a bit of a colossus who made regular superb saves - you’d leave virtually any game marvelling over one or two genuinely cracking saves. Nowadays it seems he’s not making nearly as many, which could suggest that shots he used to save are now going in. Hence why the number of goals from ‘low quality chances’ could be rising so rapidly also.

I’m merely offering an observation which might tally with what you’ve said here, nothing more.

I’ve not been sold on Eastwood since he came back from his injury. Before then he was a bit of a colossus who made regular superb saves - you’d leave virtually any game marvelling over one or two genuinely cracking saves. Nowadays it seems he’s not making nearly as many, which could suggest that shots he used to save are now going in. Hence why the number of goals from ‘low quality chances’ could be rising so rapidly also.

I’m merely offering an observation which might tally with what you’ve said here, nothing more.

I tend to agree with this view of Eastwood. When Jack Stevens came in at the end of last season I thought he was excellent and that's why I wasn't too worried if Eastwood was sold in the Summer as I do think Stevens is ready to step up to number 1 now.

Which injury was that - the finger?

I tend to agree with this view of Eastwood. When Jack Stevens came in at the end of last season I thought he was excellent and that's why I wasn't too worried if Eastwood was sold in the Summer as I do think Stevens is ready to step up to number 1 now.

Stevens is shaping up to be a good keeper, but I don't think he's ready to step up yet.

Yep. IMO since then he hasn’t been what he was. Doesn’t seem to get down as quickly to shots, although they could be unrelated. Merely speculating.

I agree he hasn’t seemed himself this season at least, certainly doesn’t seem to be making the kind of regular, unbelievable saves that he did. But that would make more sense if it was a back or leg injury - unless it’s something else like the infamous furniture incident? Hopefully it’s just a temporary dip in form and we will all forget about it in a few games when he’s back to his best.

Yup...could be conceding above expected due to luck/poor form/just being bad - can’t come to conclusions over 7 games but certainly adds some context to KRs comments around not conceding big chances.

There is an element of riding it out and things will revert to the mean - unless we are just pants ?. Which I don’t think we are!

Yep - I also have been worried about Eastwood since the start of the season. He hardly ever comes for crosses (which most other keepers would) & he is much slower 'getting down' - He would have stopped Coventry's first goal last season. You rarely hear him shouting & commanding his area as he should. When you have a defence leaking goals from set pieces the goalie has to be looked at?

According to KR on last night’s forum, if he’s being truthful, Eastwood has made the least amount of saves in the division. He uses this as proof of how well the team is playing, but if that is indeed correct then combined with how many goals we’re conceding and how far it apparently is above xG, I would say it actually strengthens the case that Eastwood is badly underperforming.

I hope you’re happy now, Mrs Eastwood. Your Facebook shenanigans have upset Big Si.

Back
Top Bottom