Ex-Staff Michael Appleton

If only he committed to OUFC!
He is a manager who needs time but also money and once a club turns the tap off he struggles/jumps ship. If Charlton gave him time then I’m sure he would do a good job there, unfortunately they have a fan base who haven’t quite excepted where they are in the football pyramid at this current time.

The Charlton owner allowed him to sign lots of players who’re said to be very good. I imagine they won’t be too happy about the guy who signed them going.

This would imply that he may not have had too much influence over signings. Employed more as a coach than a manager?

I wonder if GUKIP will be reviewing his thoughts about Charlton given ongoing poor results and now sacking the manager

I wonder if GUKIP will be reviewing his thoughts about Charlton given ongoing poor results and now sacking the manager
No. I think Appleton would have done a good job there given time and I think the manager they appoint will have a good squad to work with and they will be a threat next season.

We love Appleton for obvious reasons but the rest of his managerial career really isn't great. He hasn't been able to re-create what he built with us.

Were we a 'one off', or has he just not been given enough time elsewhere?

Really not sure that someone with the experience of Cotterill (or Appleton) would want to come in as an assistant to a rookie (in EFL terms) L1 manager? Surely they'd want the main gig?

Really not sure that someone with the experience of Cotterill (or Appleton) would want to come in as an assistant to a rookie (in EFL terms) L1 manager? Surely they'd want the main gig?

I get this but in reality it hasn't really worked for him as a number 1, (except with us and Lincoln) for what ever reason. In Mapp's case anyway. I wouldn't entertain Cotterill though not even as a number 2

I wonder if he’ll call it a day now as far as his managerial career is concerned?

He’s got a Masters in Sports Directorship, so perhaps a Director of Football role might be of interest. Not sure if anyone knows any clubs that need a DofF?!!

Back
Top Bottom