General International Call Ups

‘Both clubs’?

I didn’t know Morecambe had any internationals to cal up. Has Gareth Southgate given a call to Jonathan Obika at last?
Morecambe have had 3 or 4 games off so far this season due to call-ups - mainly U21s, but a number of those players have moved on.
Looking at their current squad, I can only see two players who have had call-ups this season and who are still at Morecambe:

Greg Leigh (Jamaica)
Alfie McCalmont (Northern Ireland Full & U21s)

It's 3 required for a postponement so perhaps it's our side seeing 3 call-ups?
Would have thought Whyte is a cert for NI.
Ciaron Brown made the NI squad in October & November.

Then one or both of McNally or Sykes in the Republic squad?

Last edited:
RadOx alluded to this on Saturday.
If Brown,Whyte,Sykes & maybe McNally are called up and Moore etc still injured, then surely a no brainier to call off what “should” be one of our 5 needed wins .

Last edited:
Morecambe have had 3 or 4 games off so far this season due to call-ups - mainly U21s, but a number of those players have moved on.
Looking at their current squad, I can only see two players who have had call-ups this season and who are still at Morecambe:

Greg Leigh (Jamaica)
Alfie McCalmont (Northern Ireland Full & U21s)

It's 3 required for a postponement so perhaps it's our side seeing 3 call-ups?
Would have thought Whyte is a cert for NI.
Ciaron Brown made the NI squad in October & November.

Then one or both of McNally or Sykes in the Republic squad?

Jerome pointed out on WATG that it may be the summer friendlies that could see McNally and Sykes have call ups. That said, with neither NI or ROI going to the WC and the latter having a dire qualifying campaign, there could be scope for looking to rebuild squads sooner rather than later.

With Greg Leigh, now there's contrasting sides to a footballing career. As an international, he jets off to a sun-drenched Caribbean island to play the likes of the USA and Mexico. For his club side, he jets back down and trundles off to Morecambe. Oh the glamour.

I wonder if Robbo would actually prefer a full squad to play on a Tuesday night rather than missing the 3 players?
It's not like an U-21 that we wouldn't really miss.

Similarly, Morecambe are already in the relegation zone, so will want a full squad. If they were mid-table they might not care so much.

Anyway, as we have the trains booked to Morecambe already (via Lancaster), might be having a day in Lancaster watching them play Nantwich Town. Plus Lancaster is a good place for a beer or two.

Ben Davis is another that is likely to be called up, assuming Thailand have a game.
If only McNally and Whyte are called up, we could use Davis call up to postpone.

Wonder if Ryan Williams performances have caught the eye of the Australians.

Jerome pointed out on WATG that it may be the summer friendlies that could see McNally and Sykes have call ups. That said, with neither NI or ROI going to the WC and the latter having a dire qualifying campaign, there could be scope for looking to rebuild squads sooner rather than later.

With Greg Leigh, now there's contrasting sides to a footballing career. As an international, he jets off to a sun-drenched Caribbean island to play the likes of the USA and Mexico. For his club side, he jets back down and trundles off to Morecambe. Oh the glamour.
Good player though. One we've looked at before, and one that I would like to see us look at again given the opportunity. Think he's out of contract in the summer...

• React
Reactions: UTO
Ben Davis is another that is likely to be called up, assuming Thailand have a game.
If only McNally and Whyte are called up, we could use Davis call up to postpone.

Wonder if Ryan Williams performances have caught the eye of the Australians.
Was thinking the same. He's not just been good the last few weeks, he's been our best performer since the formation change. Australia have a decent international side, but it's not so good that a Ryan Williams callup is out of the question by any means. I do wonder if the prospect of a World Cup call up is part of the reason he is so committed and motivated every game. If we go up and he performs at the same level in the opening weeks of the Championship he surely is in with an outside shout of making the squad?

I might be wrong, because the rules are a little opaque, but I think that Luke McNally might still be eligible for the Republic U21s?
If I've got it right, then players are eligible for the most recent UEFA U21 competitions if they were under 21 when it started, and I believe the latest iteration started about a month before Luke turned 22.

If that's right, then the Republic would surely want to take a look at him at that level given the way he's been playing lately for us
(feels a bit early for him to be getting a full international call-up, especially given that CB is the one position where they do have some decent Premiership-quality players)

And it goes without saying that if Brown & McNally are both called up - we do not want to be playing that weekend!!

Back
Top Bottom