Injured players

Ou1958

Does anyone know the current injury situation ? and who is close to returning to action.

Ivo Pekalski is making progress but February is viewed as the earliest he could make his U's debut, while Rob Hall may be out until early March.
Rothwell out for several weeks from late December. (from ox mail)

I dont think well see any of these three until end of Feb

Pekalski was still limping down the steps in directors box at the Bury game, so not sure he'll be back anytime soon.

Everyone who was injured is now training again on grass.

Except Nelson. Pekalski,Rothwell,Hall all back on grass!

Last edited:
Everyone who was injured is now training again on grass.
THAT explains the lack of pace[emoji41]

Without wishing to be too serious about such things when levity is key, it was very interesting to hear BBC Oxford talk about Pep’s training before the Checkatrade game against Chelsea.

They basically said that the players had been on very light training schedules under Pep with very low intensity. This can sometimes backfire in terms of actually increasing the amount of injuries and ability to compete for 95 minutes (in their view) which might well explain a lot.

It was also noted the other day that the players always had Mondays off from training and only returned on Tuesday which again suggest a much less intensive training system in place.

I’m in no way a sports scientist - or any kind of scientist for that matter! - but I would assume this would change under Faz or Pep’s successor.

BBC Oxford also noted that certain players had big smiles on their faces the day after Pep’s dismissal and suggested that there was something of a funny atmosphere at the training ground for a number of months.

Without wishing to gossip unduly (and I’m someone who would have given Pep til the end of the season barring disaster), I’d be very surprised if the club’s official broadcast partner, and a reputable one at that, would be making such claims without it being based in reality.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting. Back to the weed jokes!

Look forward to seeing Nelson and Dickie together next season. Got the makings of a top partnership at the back.

Well looks like baz got his wish, we have a striker in contention to play 2 Moro who has scored 10/27 and can shoot from 30 yards. Best of all he cost us nothing and will thrive with better service from pacey wingers and over lapping full backs.

Welcome back Wes

Without wishing to be too serious about such things when levity is key, it was very interesting to hear BBC Oxford talk about Pep’s training before the Checkatrade game against Chelsea.

They basically said that the players had been on very light training schedules under Pep with very low intensity. This can sometimes backfire in terms of actually increasing the amount of injuries and ability to compete for 95 minutes (in their view) which might well explain a lot.

It was also noted the other day that the players always had Mondays off from training and only returned on Tuesday which again suggest a much less intensive training system in place.

I’m in no way a sports scientist - or any kind of scientist for that matter! - but I would assume this would change under Faz or Pep’s successor.

BBC Oxford also noted that certain players had big smiles on their faces the day after Pep’s dismissal and suggested that there was something of a funny atmosphere at the training ground for a number of months.

Without wishing to gossip unduly (and I’m someone who would have given Pep til the end of the season barring disaster), I’d be very surprised if the club’s official broadcast partner, and a reputable one at that, would be making such claims without it being based in reality.

Surprised that londonroader is liking this post after months of dressing down - in his own inimitable way - anyone who suggested that Pep's regime may be a bit on the holiday camp end of things.
Interesting nuggets from Radio Oxford, but would be rather better and braver journalism if they had raised these issues directly with Pep face to face while he was still here. There is something a bit icky about buying in to his methods and sucking up to him whilst he is OUFC and then buying into slagging him off once he is not here to defend himself.
As for the players with big smiles, I'm really not interested in that. I'm sure that there were a LOT of players with big smiles when they were told they could have Mondays off. Lazy, good for not much players often snipe and insinuate against present and past managers. They need to be taking a look at themselves first. Whatever Clotet was or wasn't doing, many of the displays this season have been little short of an embarrassment. Yesterday, I bumped into a work acquaintance from Scotland who went to the Wigan game with his son-in-law. He said that in the past 40 years of watching football he could only remember one or two performances that came close to the "sheer, buck-passing spinelessness I saw from your guys - I'll never forget that game. It was the most humiliating I have ever seen for a professional club'
Whatever the truth of Clotet s training regime, we have had a really poor group of individuals at the club this season. They wo t all suddenly become towering leaders because Faz is in charge. The new guys are going to need to change the tone of the dressing room.

Surprised that londonroader is liking this post after months of dressing down - in his own inimitable way - anyone who suggested that Pep's regime may be a bit on the holiday camp end of things.
Interesting nuggets from Radio Oxford, but would be rather better and braver journalism if they had raised these issues directly with Pep face to face while he was still here. There is something a bit icky about buying in to his methods and sucking up to him whilst he is OUFC and then buying into slagging him off once he is not here to defend himself.
As for the players with big smiles, I'm really not interested in that. I'm sure that there were a LOT of players with big smiles when they were told they could have Mondays off. Lazy, good for not much players often snipe and insinuate against present and past managers. They need to be taking a look at themselves first. Whatever Clotet was or wasn't doing, many of the displays this season have been little short of an embarrassment. Yesterday, I bumped into a work acquaintance from Scotland who went to the Wigan game with his son-in-law. He said that in the past 40 years of watching football he could only remember one or two performances that came close to the "sheer, buck-passing spinelessness I saw from your guys - I'll never forget that game. It was the most humiliating I have ever seen for a professional club'
Whatever the truth of Clotet s training regime, we have had a really poor group of individuals at the club this season. They wo t all suddenly become towering leaders because Faz is in charge. The new guys are going to need to change the tone of the dressing room.

Radio oxford also followed up their comment about the players having big smiles on their faces, by saying that it could also be because they were walking out onto the pitch at Stamford bridge where a fair few of them have never played. Just to add a bit of context to that comment

• React
Reactions: MJB
Back
Top Bottom