Chairman Takeover now Old Car Chat

I'm not too far in age from you - for me when I was younger (16-18) the problem was we'd need someone to drive us to games because of how poorly placed the stadium is.

Nowadays, getting my friends to the game is still tough because there's no pub, no restaurant or anything to do around the match experience. It's easier getting them to away games than it is home games.

I get that Kidlington is a better prospect than Grenoble Road, but in reality it's always going to be an uphill battle when your stadium is out in the middle of nowhere.

Oh yeah and the amount of times I've heard "£20 to watch Oxford!" over the years...
You’re around 26 years old?! I always assumed more like 66! 😅

From 27:30 - 32:00, talk about our takeover (before going off on a bit of a tangent). Don't think there's much new information, but nice to be talked about.

Host of the podcast is really into football finances so I'd have thought he'd be keeping a keen eye on the takeover throughout.

From 27:30 - 32:00, talk about our takeover (before going off on a bit of a tangent). Don't think there's much new information, but nice to be talked about.

Host of the podcast is really into football finances so I'd have thought he'd be keeping a keen eye on the takeover throughout.

And Abingdon Town gets a mention soon after the bit on talk of Oxford’s big potential and lairy supporters too!

My Grandad was the landlord there but I presume this was well before your birth!
There was a Convent opposite ...surely not your birthplace? 🤭

Not the convent :ROFLMAO: ........ number 75 Old High Street, the house with the phone box next door.
Grandparents lived down Larkins Lane and had an allotment along Barton Lane.
Great Grandparents lived in St Andrews Lane.

And Abingdon Town gets a mention soon after the bit on talk of Oxford’s big potential and lairy supporters too!

Good to know others see us as being lairy.

That company buying football stadiums is worrying especially as Whyteleafe have left the ground. Although Abingdon Town is a weird one to buy as it won't be able to be developed for any other purpose and you couldn't put a plastic pitch in there because of being floodplain. Hopefully this doesn't affect Abingdon Town's future.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Good to know others see us as being lairy.

That company buying football stadiums is worrying especially as Whyteleafe have left the ground. Although Abingdon Town is a weird one to buy as it won't be able to be developed for any other purpose and you couldn't put a plastic pitch in there because of being floodplain. Hopefully this doesn't affect Abingdon Town's future.

Agree its a strange move by this company buying grassroots stadiums, not sure what they get out of the deal buying Abingdon Towns ground, it's not like they could develop it in to anything else if the club folded. The previous owner did lease more land behind the stadium to build some more pitches but never completed the work, he then left the club in a sorry state and they nearly went under a couple of years back.

Agree its a strange move by this company buying grassroots stadiums, not sure what they get out of the deal buying Abingdon Towns ground, it's not like they could develop it in to anything else if the club folded. The previous owner did lease more land behind the stadium to build some more pitches but never completed the work, he then left the club in a sorry state and they nearly went under a couple of years back.

Yes. The committee that saved the club did a great job considering. Hopefully the club can get back to at least being one of the better teams in the Hellenic top flight in the near future.

Not the convent :ROFLMAO: ........ number 75 Old High Street, the house with the phone box next door.
Oooohhhh, someone did well.

It must have been you who spilt my pint in The White Hart that night. If only I'd known.

It must have been you who spilt my pint in The White Hart that night. If only I'd known.

White Hart was far too posh for me.... full of Lefties & Students! :ROFLMAO:
Black Boy, when it had a lounge and sold snuff!
Once football caught hold of me it was the Standard & the Britt, I only worked up the road and was allowed to knock off early on home Saturdays.

The White Horse soon became a favoured haunt when Malcolm and his Mrs`s had it, had a pair of Rotties IIRC.

There was also a gorgeous barmaid there, who would have easily qualified as Mrs EY (Mk1), however that relationship ended when we both realised we were just "at it like rabbits" and she got a job in nursing and moved away. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom