incoming .....

Love this. Really are building for the future, not just relying on local kids coming through the ranks but actually identifying and scouting talent released from bigger academies. Proud history bright future

I think this will be the next big step ahead of our L1 competition.

Teams around us have caught on to talent released from Premier League U21 squads. But to be have a strong U18 team and a scholarship system, I hope will result in us bringing through a couple of really hot prospects each year.

This could be the signs of something good at our club.........mayve our 20 goal a season striker maybe there in waiting ?

I think this will be the next big step ahead of our L1 competition.

Teams around us have caught on to talent released from Premier League U21 squads. But to be have a strong U18 team and a scholarship system, I hope will result in us bringing through a couple of really hot prospects each year.

Exactly, and further down the line it also means we will get more back as we won’t have the sell on clauses to the likes of wba. It’s a long term project and comes at a cost, but medium to long term the benefits are massive

Exactly, and further down the line it also means we will get more back as we won’t have the sell on clauses to the likes of wba. It’s a long term project and comes at a cost, but medium to long term the benefits are massive

AND they learn our style of play and fitness routines from a very young age, so can blend well when the time to step up to the first team squad comes around.

If KR manages to not get sacked or his head turned in the next couple of years, the project could work out exceptionally well.

Great news.
There certainly seems to be a strategy with the younger players and bringing them through to the first team (the results are already starting to be seen)

AND they learn our style of play and fitness routines from a very young age, so can blend well when the time to step up to the first team squad comes around.

If KR manages to not get sacked or his head turned in the next couple of years, the project could work out exceptionally well.
As you suggest KR is an important part of the strategy. If KR did leave for whatever reason any replacement would need to have the same desire to bring through to young kids.

Good luck to all of them and I hope they are successful in getting a pro deal but if they don't, I hope they are successful in their studies and enjoy their time at the club.

This might just be the most well meaning and pleasant comment I've ever seen on this forum.

Assuming the lad on the far left is the 6'3" centre back from Cov, how tall's the keeper? Must be about seven feet tall, even with perspective!

Three from the U16s and four brought in from elsewhere.... I dont know anything about this cohort at the club (as to who there is and who is good enough), but would have liked to see a couple more come through internally.
Given that 3 (soon to be 4 if Jones is signed) already on pro deals and likely to edge up into the U23s this will leave a core of 14 to play U18s games (inlcuding three keepers).
As for 6'3" - how much of that is hair - without it he is no taller than most of the others!!

Three from the U16s and four brought in from elsewhere.... I dont know anything about this cohort at the club (as to who there is and who is good enough), but would have liked to see a couple more come through internally.
Given that 3 (soon to be 4 if Jones is signed) already on pro deals and likely to edge up into the U23s this will leave a core of 14 to play U18s games (inlcuding three keepers).
As for 6'3" - how much of that is hair - without it he is no taller than most of the others!!

It takes time, as with the u23 this year being the first season, your gonna be short, but now with the scouting in place locally and identifying talent earlier and further afield we should start picking up more quality players at a younger age, before they are swiped by the bigger academies outside our area, it will then take a few years for those “home grown” player to start filtering through to the older ages like u18. In the mean time, picking up talent that’s been released from the top academies seems a good idea

It appears that we are trying to get the best young players including the local ones that are deemed good enough.
From what I have seen I have confidence in Dan Harris and the team to get these decisions right
So I think it more important to get in players who may get into the first team. I suspect that with the new set up there is more likelihood of local players coming through in future years as oufc tries to keep local talent rather than them going to Southamptom, Reading etc

Also a slightly diffuse observation but I think the England team’s current success shows the delayed benefit of investing in youth. It’s a long term strategy in an industry that is extremely reactive, and so rarely gets the appreciation it deserves. KR and Tiger, for all his faults, seem a combo who have this long term target in mind , which I think bodes very well.

Back
Top Bottom