National News Incoming changes to (car) mot this weekend

Sarge

God like member
Huge changes to car mot this weekend....amongst other changes it appears diesel vehicles (a few years ago the then government told 'us' diesel was the way to go btw), are going to be demonized and legislated off the UK roads, purportedly to make the UK roads cleaner and safer

How about fixing the potholes and co-ordinate roadworks to not cause massive hold ups (Woodstock road AND headley way both ongoing simultaneously gridlocking Oxford City for example, great planning ox county council highways dept-NOT), that would make roads both safer and cleaner I reckon

It's a myth that petrol cars are less polluting than diesel. For equivalent cars the petrol version pumps out far more co2.

For example take a look at something like a Ford focus on nextgreencar.com. The diesel version is given a 36 out of 100 and the petrol 47. The higher figure is the more polluting.

Yes, but we all have to be herded into paying more.
Unfortunately, the taxman will be forced to accept millions more in revenue to spend in any way but reducing our cheesy carbon footprint.

It's a myth that petrol cars are less polluting than diesel. For equivalent cars the petrol version pumps out far more co2.

For example take a look at something like a Ford focus on nextgreencar.com. The diesel version is given a 36 out of 100 and the petrol 47. The higher figure is the more polluting.

I don't think anyone argues that Diesel cars produce less CO2 than petrol equivalents.....that's why there was such a rush to buy them 5-10 years ago, they were more efficient.

It's more particulates and NOx that is what's driving the legislation. Although even there, the comparative studies are not 100% clear.

It’s not CO2 that’s the issue

Says who?

Suddenly co2 emissions are unimportant?

I don't think anyone argues that Diesel cars produce less CO2 than petrol equivalents.....that's why there was such a rush to buy them 5-10 years ago, they were more efficient.

It's more particulates and NOx that is what's driving the legislation. Although even there, the comparative studies are not 100% clear.
I'm not sure that your average buyer realise diesels produce far lower co2... Then just see the headline that diesels are now bad...

Says who?

They are important. But that’s not the sole thing that is measured these days is it? Hence diesel’s demise. I wonder what’s going to happen to all those excess middle distillates from US refineries now…?

Says who?

They are important. But that’s not the sole thing that is measured these days is it? Hence diesel’s demise. I wonder what’s going to happen to all those excess middle distillates from US refineries now…?
In the example I gave using nextgreencar.com it measured both co2 and nox output. It still came to the conclusion of the petrol version as the most polluting overall...

I am confident I'll die before being forced into having an electric car

I would get an electric car in a shot if:

a) They went for 300 miles before needing to be recharged or the recharging took five minutes
b) I was that convinced that the overall environmental damage was hugely less
c) They weren't so bloody expensive

Whatever happened to hydrogen cell cars that only produced water as an emission? Are they still a thing?

I had a conversation with a friend about electric cars and where the power came from. Suffice to say, they hadn't considered that, or how invasive mining is and the scarcity of some elements in batteries are. Electric Cars are not sustainable or environmentally friendly - I read an article that stated the power grid wouldn't suffer with more ownership as owners would charge them overnight. Which just won't happen in the real world!

I never found any study of how much pollution, unhealthiness and bad s**t it takes to make a nice environmentally friendly car compared to what I was causing driving around in a stinky 15 year old diesel (the point being that it has already been made). So I kept it till it died and replaced it with a 10 year old.

Back
Top Bottom