Important Petition

Shrewsbury are due to start installing safe-standing next month. I wonder what will happen if they’re promoted to the Championship? I presume they will be permitted to use the section still as it would have been in place before they earned promotion (became a Championship club).

If Shrewsbury do get promoted into the Championship, and stay there for 3 years +, then they will be required to change it back to an all seated stadium. If they stay there for less than 3 years then they can keep the safe standing section.

This is Footballs biggest collective movement, quite possibly ever, never seen so many clubs, and even Shaun Harvey, trying to fight the same fight.

If Shrewsbury do get promoted into the Championship, and stay there for 3 years +, then they will be required to change it back to an all seated stadium. If they stay there for less than 3 years then they can keep the safe standing section.

This is Footballs biggest collective movement, quite possibly ever, never seen so many clubs, and even Shaun Harvey, trying to fight the same fight.

That’s very interesting - cheers.

I knew that if Shrewsbury get promoted their promotion wouldn’t be officially confirmed until June at the EFL AGM, so had until that date to complete the installation. I hope it’s a big success for them.

Everyone should email their MP and let them know how they feel about it.
Sadly Anneliese Dodds (Oxford EastMP) is nothing like her predecessor Andrew Smith. Contacted her when I signed the petition...2 weeks on , NO reply...re emailed her, finally, a week later she replied. Her stance was its safer to sit....so my response was that maybe she should visit the breeze block and see for herself how, in reality, unsafe, in comparison to (safe) standing the small n narrow legroom seating is there.... and challenged her to unequivically prove to me how much safer it would be to clear an all seated stand when compared to a safe standing terrace in an emergency. As yet no reply.

Also, despite being a Labour party representative, the current Oxford East MP has, since elected, made something of a habit of voting WITH the government!!!!!

Anyone in Oxford East constituency who are in favour of football supporters being treated the same as all other spectators at major competitions, and those who are in favour of the choice to sit or stand at top level football matches in England and Wales can contact her via her email adress' anneliesedoddsmp@gmail.com and also anneliese.dodds.mp@parliament.uk .... and also ask her views on the forthcoming debate June 25th

as no-one has posted the 'official' response to the petition from the government here it is :

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Allow Premier League and Championship football clubs to introduce safe standing”.

Government responded:

The Government believes that all-seater stadia are currently the best means to ensure the safety and security of fans at designated football matches in England and Wales.​
The Government thanks all the football supporters who made their views known through this petition.
The Government believes that all-seater stadia are currently the best means to ensure the safety and security of fans at designated football matches in England and Wales, while continuing to work closely with the Sports Grounds Safety Authority and football authorities to consider advances in technology and data that may enhance the existing policy.
A debate in Parliament on this issue has been tabled for 25 June, when the nuances and complexities of sports ground safety will be covered in more detail.
Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport​
Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040?reveal_response=yes

This petition has over 100,000 signatures. The Petitions Committee will consider it for a debate. They can also gather further evidence and press the government for action.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee:https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Anneliese Dodds probably being fed that line by her partner Ed Turner. He's done a bit of refereeing.

Don't get it????? surely if someone wants to sit in these proposed areas then they will not be able to see if the person in front is standing??.....just get rid of the seats in certain areas and have standing ONLY............no need for all this barriers and seats.

...and there's the problem with joining in the conversation halfway through.

Back
Top Bottom