Important appointment at OUFC

Only piece of advice that come to mind is... If we are due to play Watford away, don't take the yellow kit.
when we played Watford in the fa cup at the Manor .... the game where the wall at the London Road End collapsed ... both teams were in changed kits , blue n white & red n white, cant remember which was wearing which though? .... , match ended 1-1 ...I think?

Think that was around 72/73ish.
sounds about right ...my younger sister was sat on the wall when it collapsed ... it was the one n only time me dad allowed her to go 'in' LRE

Dad mentioned that a few times to me, said it went with an almighty crack. Must have been frightening. He said it was the loudest noise he'd heard at The Manor bar the sound of Mick Way's leg breaking. .

I was a couple of people back from the wall but still got sent up the other end to sit down on the outside.

It was 1971. I watched from the Cuckoo Lane End when a section of the wall nearest the Beech Road came crashing down following an Oxford corner which led to a goalmouth scramble. After a short interval when fans were cleared off the pitch the game was re-started. The whole wall was later re-built three or four steps back which was a shame.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/fixture/1971-01-23/

watford were in the london rd I think it was before proper segregation and they just relied on the thin blue line! Remember a few fights that day.

watford were in the london rd I think it was before proper segregation and they just relied on the thin blue line! Remember a few fights that day.

The wall collapsed six minutes into the game - 29 people injured , 5 taken to hospital.

Back
Top Bottom