Matches iFollow

Manorlounger

Following yet another match coverage interruption on Saturday with no coverage at half time and immediately post full time plus, a "technical issue" preventing the recommencement of coverage for the second half, I thought I might just drop them a line. (it's ifollow@efl.com if anyone else feels like venting their spleen)
As follows:

Recently we have been experiencing a trend of switching off the audio coverage/transmission during the half time break and almost immediately following the final whistle. No amount of “bubble chat” can persuade your colleagues to reinstate and no reason is given.
You should be aware that the coverage provided by BBC local radio stations is subject to embargo at the direction of the EFL and the individual clubs concerned. My wife and I are followers of Oxford United and coverage is provided by BBC Radio Oxford. The embargo on broadcast via internet begins at 15:00 and continues, uninterrupted until 17:00. This means, as is patently obvious, that we lack any coverage via the internet during this period and are reliant on the subscription service provided by iFollow as per contract with the EFL. In other words, we pay for the coverage.
With no other option, short of jumping in a car and driving to the nearest point of FM reception, it must be clear that to switch off the coverage during the half time period is very, very irritating. Again, at full time, to switch off prior to 17:00 leaves us again frustrated.
I can see no logical reason for this censorship, indeed, on two recent occasions, this has caused some sort of technical issue and the audio was not switched back on until after the match had recommenced. Surely the time for common sense to prevail has arrived and the iFollow coverage left to run, uninterrupted, from 15:00 until 17:00? There was a time that coverage started well before 15:00 and continued through half time and on after 17:00. This was a far more satisfactory service and one that could be recommended.
Of course, having a monopoly means you are at liberty to do as you wish but, football supporters are a very vocal sort of person and not to be taken as fools. I would find it very hard to accept that you are of a mindset to upset subscribers on purpose and therefore appeal to your better nature and common sense to rectify this situation and advertise that fact as such to all the clubs involved in that they, in turn, can advise their supporters of this position.

Thank you for your time.

And response is:
Thanks for your feedback. We constantly want to improve our user experience and line of products and feedback is very helpful.
Though we were not able to replicate the issue, however we will be looking into this and will be implementing a fix should our investigation proves this to be true.
We thank you once again for notifying us.

Sounds like a stock bullshit response.

A fix? Just leave the audio on at half time muppet!

And response is:
Thanks for your feedback. We constantly want to improve our user experience and line of products and feedback is very helpful.
Though we were not able to replicate the issue, however we will be looking into this and will be implementing a fix should our investigation proves this to be true.
We thank you once again for notifying us.

Sounds like a stock bullshit response.

A fix? Just leave the audio on at half time muppet!
'Not able to replicate the issue'??!!!

They replicate it every bloody Saturday!

And I have confirmation from Chris Williams that the coverage should be uninterrupted. The phone in, post match, cannot be broadcast by iFollow but that usually happens after 17:00 anyway.

For some reason as well the rights for league cup matches is different to the league games mid week so we can't buy a match pass to watch the match on Wednesday in the UK. This must be down to the sponsors of the cup as it is still a EFL competition?

For some reason as well the rights for league cup matches is different to the league games mid week so we can't buy a match pass to watch the match on Wednesday in the UK. This must be down to the sponsors of the cup as it is still a EFL competition?

Yeah, this is true for expats using the service abroad as well - it's league games and the tinpot trophy only.

And I have confirmation from Chris Williams that the coverage should be uninterrupted. The phone in, post match, cannot be broadcast by iFollow but that usually happens after 17:00 anyway.
That’s interesting as it contradicts the response I got from iFollow (I cut and paste the text used by ManorLounger ?)

Thank you for contacting iFollow Support,

Unfortunately this is down to the clubs discretion if they wish to provide the commentary during half time or even pre/ post commentary.

However we do thank you for the feedback in regards to the commentary being switched off during these times.

That’s interesting as it contradicts the response I got from iFollow (I cut and paste the text used by ManorLounger ?)

Thank you for contacting iFollow Support,

Unfortunately this is down to the clubs discretion if they wish to provide the commentary during half time or even pre/ post commentary.

However we do thank you for the feedback in regards to the commentary being switched off during these times.
Chris Williams is on the case. I have an idea that he is not impressed!

Chris responsible for us getting the radox commentary synced with the video this season, so he should be able to win this one too. (Last season you could have either radox or video but not both!)

Chris responsible for us getting the radox commentary synced with the video this season, so he should be able to win this one too. (Last season you could have either radox or video but not both!)
iFollow have been reminded, by Chris, that, at the explicit wishes of OUFC, audio coverage should continue throughout the half time break. This was communicated to the EFL and iFollow some time ago. There is no reason for them to switch off at half time. iFollow are correct in asserting that coverage is an option but, in this instance, they have not followed instructions.
The annoying part is that they have been told more than once and yet their "bubble chat" support muppets still take the attitude that they know best. Their idea of customer service is appalling.
Next two games are at home so we will be attending so next opportunity for us to check will be on the 5th October, away at Accrington. Would be interested to hear from anyone listening to West Ham and Gillingham what happens.

Huge thanks to Chris for all the work he does on this and other stuff. He was still answering emails at 8 o'clock yesterday evening!

iFollow have been reminded, by Chris, that, at the explicit wishes of OUFC, audio coverage should continue throughout the half time break. This was communicated to the EFL and iFollow some time ago. There is no reason for them to switch off at half time. iFollow are correct in asserting that coverage is an option but, in this instance, they have not followed instructions.
The annoying part is that they have been told more than once and yet their "bubble chat" support muppets still take the attitude that they know best. Their idea of customer service is appalling.
Next two games are at home so we will be attending so next opportunity for us to check will be on the 5th October, away at Accrington. Would be interested to hear from anyone listening to West Ham and Gillingham what happens.

Huge thanks to Chris for all the work he does on this and other stuff. He was still answering emails at 8 o'clock yesterday evening!
Chris W is yellow n blue through n through
like many other behind the scenes OUFC
employees he goes over, above n beyond
his job description time after time- rarely
recognised for going the extra mile

Does anyone have any feedback from the West Ham game? Did the coverage continue through half time and were there any "technical " issues?

The radio commentary continued right through half time so no problem this time.

Its gone silent now, though, even though radox is not yet availabile on radox.

I've already emailed Chris Williams and Alex Levinson (EFL) with iFollow copied in to the email.

As I explained to the "bubble chat" support muppet, continued coverage had been agreed. He didn't appear to understand English.

With the video feed I had Radox soundtrack throughout half time. Are you talking about the audio feed or video feed? It would make sense that the audio feed is the same for UK and overseas listeners.

Back
Top Bottom