If the unthinkable happened

carefreeoufc

Obviously we all are hoping that our current form has an upturn either with or without a new manager at the helm. Should the unthinkable happen and we are relegated to L2 again what do people think might be the consequences. I was chatting about OUFC over the weekend with a friend (Spurs supporter) who was asking what I thought of Tiger etc. He asked if we were to go down what would happen to us.

I said I assumed Tiger had bought us to get us to the Championship and would then sell us on. If we were to drop to L2 and lose the majority of our players would Tiger look for a quick 'out' and sell the club on. Obviously not knowing how he has financed the purchase would impact this. Just wondered what others thought might happen next season.

Apologies for another doom and gloom post but genuinely interested.

Obviously we all are hoping that our current form has an upturn either with or without a new manager at the helm. Should the unthinkable happen and we are relegated to L2 again what do people think might be the consequences. I was chatting about OUFC over the weekend with a friend (Spurs supporter) who was asking what I thought of Tiger etc. He asked if we were to go down what would happen to us.

I said I assumed Tiger had bought us to get us to the Championship and would then sell us on. If we were to drop to L2 and lose the majority of our players would Tiger look for a quick 'out' and sell the club on. Obviously not knowing how he has financed the purchase would impact this. Just wondered what others thought might happen next season.

Apologies for another doom and gloom post but genuinely interested.

Phone a friend?

It's because of him that I asked the question. We're too good to go down anyway.

Has anyone ever bought a football club and sold it 3 months later? You would take a massive loss. Us and Tiger are probably stuck together for at least year or two whatever division we are in, look how long it took Eales to sell the club, well over a year.

Could/can he afford to keep us if we go down? I assume so. I wonder whether he’d look to cut his losses and get out ASAP.

Still not sure he completely knows what he’s bought lol

I think the unthinkable is looking more thinkable by the game.

Can’t see us taking any points until after Shrewsbury unfortunately.

By the time we face Oldham,Fleetwood etc, chances are we’ll be needing the wins to go above them in the table.

Desperate times and a few months ago I really didn’t think we would have let things slip so much.

How wrong was I.

Perhaps Tigger would cut our cloth accordingly and slash the playing budget according to revenue. Given the huge annual fixed costs in rent to Kassam, that would lead to an uncompetitive team which in all likelihood would continue to descend through the pyramid.

As the crowds dwindle, Tigger would cut a £m deal with Kassam to agree to leave the stadium enabling it to be redeveloped for housing. OUFC then would then ply their trade at Court Farm in the National League South (or even worse, North).

A nightmare situation, perhaps complete imagination. But Tigger (and his associates) does have an eye for cashing in on stadium value...

Perhaps Tigger would cut our cloth accordingly and slash the playing budget according to revenue. Given the huge annual fixed costs in rent to Kassam, that would lead to an uncompetitive team which in all likelihood would continue to descend through the pyramid.

As the crowds dwindle, Tigger would cut a £m deal with Kassam to agree to leave the stadium enabling it to be redeveloped for housing. OUFC then would then ply their trade at Court Farm in the National League South (or even worse, North).

A nightmare situation, perhaps complete imagination. But Tigger (and his associates) does have an eye for cashing in on stadium value...

Wouldn’t be much time left on the lease to cut a deal of any value anyway.

Well that takes some imagination to get to that scenario, I'm not as confident as I was at Xmas about going down, but we still have to get behind the club even if there is no direction out there.

Presumably Kassam may as well just keep taking the rent till the lease expires. It wouldn't be worth anything without planning permission and I can't imagine the council would be party to any shady dealings.

I think it depends on the money Tiger has. I think he would spend big to go for promotion. Now he might finance this, or if he has no cash load the club up with debt. The results of this spending are also subject to speculation. If he appoints a decent manager and if that manager is allowed to spend well (and like MApp spends well on young players) we could be successful at a cost (some of while following the old model we could recoup in player sales). If he goes for a glory name manager and spends on supposed big name players (those old players that have had it and looking for a payday) it could be a disaster that sees us finish anywhere even a fight for relegation. After that season if we do not get back into league 1 again I think it will entiely depend on money as to how much further he goes with a very hostile fanbase. Overall we simply have no idea about this guy, but a league 2 campaign while it might not be disastrous could be very costly to the club.

It all comes down to his competence to run a club and his ability to finance it. questions still to be asked and answered.

Since I’m not a member of OxVox or anything, I can vent on here.

DE has sold the club to a moron who knows nothing about English football. Tiger isn’t even a major moneyman and was just a smiley, bow-tied face at Reading where the shadowy figures who didn’t attend games were the power behind the throne. His supposed business acumen has been shown to be false with his woeful press conference and inability to engage with his core customer. His lackadaisical attitude to FK and the stadium issue – an albatross around our neck (thank you, Nick Merry) and a major anchor towards any further development and a drain on resources – has been astounding.

People on here say give him time. I can’t be bothered. His mistakes and attitude within a fortnight in taking over have shown me enough. I think DE has sold us to a clueless owner who will take us nowhere but down. Tiger’s pie-in-the-sky ambitions of Championship football are just that. We’re a vanity project for a fantasist – a plaything that will be discarded when it goes tits up and he can b****r off to a life of anonymity from the English-speaking world in Thailand. I didn’t trust him when his name was mentioned months ago and I don’t trust him now.

I accept that following a football team is not all joy all the time, especially when following a side like Oxford. We have a natural level (some may argue we’ve reached it) and my expectations aren’t unrealistic. I’d like to see us have an approach, a plan to progress and an ambition to live within our means – MAsh, MApp and DE delivered that initially. We have none of that now. We’re floating like we did under the last days of FK when Brian Talbot was left to his own devices to motivate a poorly paid bunch of journeymen to stay up in the FL.

It’s early days, but I can’t see a positive future under Tiger, I really don’t. I just hope we have a club to support once his tenure ends. Sorry for the bleakness but I don’t think I’ve felt as glum about our club since the second season in the Conference.

I don't know a lot about the guys business acumen and I don't know business etc. like a lot of the people on here seem to do but is there not a fairly high chance that if we got relegated he'd try and sell the club ASAP? Im not entirely sure whether he has had the wool pulled over his eyes a little and whether he'd even have the financial capabilities to mount a series promotion push in L2

Unification - spot on - you say what the vast majority are fearing. He is a fantasist & knows very little about football at our level; there he is trotting around airport lounges ringing agent after agent & spinning us yarns to delay making an announcement. God save us if it's Kluivert.

I think it depends on the money Tiger has. I think he would spend big to go for promotion. Now he might finance this, or if he has no cash load the club up with debt. The results of this spending are also subject to speculation. If he appoints a decent manager and if that manager is allowed to spend well (and like MApp spends well on young players) we could be successful at a cost (some of while following the old model we could recoup in player sales). If he goes for a glory name manager and spends on supposed big name players (those old players that have had it and looking for a payday) it could be a disaster that sees us finish anywhere even a fight for relegation. After that season if we do not get back into league 1 again I think it will entiely depend on money as to how much further he goes with a very hostile fanbase. Overall we simply have no idea about this guy, but a league 2 campaign while it might not be disastrous could be very costly to the club.

It all comes down to his competence to run a club and his ability to finance it. questions still to be asked and answered.

Strictly speaking, a successful season in League Two doesn't have to be a costly one.

Just a glance at the current League Two table will tell you that - Accrington are top, and have (if we're generous) one of the three smallest budgets in the division (some reports suggest it's the smallest). Money isn't necessary to succeed down there.

What is necessary is a good manager, who knows the division inside out, and who the owner leaves to get on with it.
Unfortunately both Tiger's reputation at Reading, and the pfaffing of the past fortnight, set off the warning klaxons there......

Back
Top Bottom