General How to fix the defensive problem?

Wandering Yellow

Hopefully, last night was a signal we are going to get into our groove with goalscoring. However, we conceded two and let's be honest it could have been more.

So how do we fix the defensive problem? Is it a matter of bringing in a full-back and experienced centre-back on loan, or do we need to get creative with position swapping?

Clare at full-back just hasn't worked, he showed in a surge forward last night he's just an attacking midfielder playing out of position. How long can we give him time to learn the position and put results at risk? Could the answer be swapping Clare and Henry? Henry is an experienced man and may do the job.

The Atkinson injury is a huge worry. He is quite raw but shows flashes of being a quality player. Can we expect Long to keep doing a good job at centre-back? Moore has had a very mixed start to the season to say the least. Does he need an experienced, northern, 6ft 5, bald, no-nonsense, hard-as-nails, tattooed centre-back to shepherd our defence and help him out?

I don't have the answers, but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on how we can fix this...

I think people are reading too much into 'defensive fraility' - ALL teams from PL downwards seem to be conceding more take Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd for starters if anybody would anyone have guessed they would have shipped 7,6 and 5 at the start of the season? The fans absence has been highlighted by many defenders as to not helping the intensity you need and conversely attacking players are freer to attack without the boos or moaning that come with a misplaced pass or shot

My view is that yes, we need an experienced centre back. Very late in the day of course - I think we ought to have signed one some time ago, as soon as Mous's fitness and form became obvious weeks ago. It's not just as a body to put in there. We have two pretty inexperienced centre backs in Moore and Atkinson. If Long is drafted in to play then he is not experienced in that role either. Ruffs on one side (although he hasn't had a brilliant start) is fine, on the other you have Clare - who is so inexperienced in the role that he is still learning it. So out of five players, four aren't old hands at the roles they are being asked to play. That is pretty scary.
What would I do? Sign someone experienced (even if they are a couple of weeks from fitness) - we WILL need to change the centre backs during the season through injury, illness or suspension. An experienced man in the central defence could tell the more inexperienced what they should be doing, where they should be etc. Switch Long to right back - he is more secure than Clare. Use Clare as a midfielder, because that is what he is.

It's simpler than signing another centre half.

We need:

- Gorrin fit every week

- Stop giving possession away cheaply

- Stop giving away needless set pieces (this was better last night)

- Take our chances at the other end

It's that simple.

No injuries would be a good start, although even without them we would still be at least one CB light. Really emphasises how valuable a Raglan or Martin is, strictly reserve but able to do a good job when needed.

If you wanted defensive stability you would have to put Long in over Clare. And Long isn't even that good defensively, but Clare is costing one goal a game back there.

Left back Ruffs is fine, but like Long you would think that an upgrade would be needed to achieve greater things. That notwithstanding he has been rushed back from injury as well, not great.

In the middle Atkinson has been chucked in. Potential undoubtedly but I hope this isn't too much too soon with the injuries. I actually like Moore a lot as a player but they both need someone experienced in there. Is Mous that man or is he also on the way out?

And then there is Eastwood, who is also going through a rough patch. Here at least we have a potential solution in Stevens. How much more credit does Easty have...I have a suspicion that KR will keep him in by hook or by crook.

Possibly the most important defensive player is Gorrin, with him sitting in front it takes the load off. But this doesn't stop the weakness down the wings. Stop the ball from coming in to start with and then have a keeper who dominates the area and his front post and we would be a million times better.

No injuries would be a good start, although even without them we would still be at least one CB light. Really emphasises how valuable a Raglan or Martin is, strictly reserve but able to do a good job when needed.

If you wanted defensive stability you would have to put Long in over Clare. And Long isn't even that good defensively, but Clare is costing one goal a game back there.

Left back Ruffs is fine, but like Long you would think that an upgrade would be needed to achieve greater things. That notwithstanding he has been rushed back from injury as well, not great.

In the middle Atkinson has been chucked in. Potential undoubtedly but I hope this isn't too much too soon with the injuries. I actually like Moore a lot as a player but they both need someone experienced in there. Is Mous that man or is he also on the way out?

And then there is Eastwood, who is also going through a rough patch. Here at least we have a potential solution in Stevens. How much more credit does Easty have...I have a suspicion that KR will keep him in by hook or by crook.

Possibly the most important defensive player is Gorrin, with him sitting in front it takes the load off. But this doesn't stop the weakness down the wings. Stop the ball from coming in to start with and then have a keeper who dominates the area and his front post and we would be a million times better.

I think on the Eastwood point, if we are worried about a lack of defensive experience removing him and having Steven's would compound this.

My view is that yes, we need an experienced centre back. Very late in the day of course - I think we ought to have signed one some time ago, as soon as Mous's fitness and form became obvious weeks ago. It's not just as a body to put in there. We have two pretty inexperienced centre backs in Moore and Atkinson. If Long is drafted in to play then he is not experienced in that role either. Ruffs on one side (although he hasn't had a brilliant start) is fine, on the other you have Clare - who is so inexperienced in the role that he is still learning it. So out of five players, four aren't old hands at the roles they are being asked to play. That is pretty scary.
What would I do? Sign someone experienced (even if they are a couple of weeks from fitness) - we WILL need to change the centre backs during the season through injury, illness or suspension. An experienced man in the central defence could tell the more inexperienced what they should be doing, where they should be etc. Switch Long to right back - he is more secure than Clare. Use Clare as a midfielder, because that is what he is.
Spot on again as usual ZTH!!

When Gorrin is match fit he will protect the back 4 far better than Kelly ( I don't think we would have conceded the second last night had Gorrin played a few games)
I would try and get Mous into the team when he is fit for his experience.
Our midfield also need to cover the full backs more effectively at times.
Oh and if the priority is to avoid conceding then Long for Clare will help but we would clearly lose out going forwards

When is Mous going to be fit? I think he could really help

Back
Top Bottom