How to complete the season

Another one bites the dust.

I just wish somebody would make the call for the EFL and create some clarity on the situation.

Maybe we should have a referendum? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only ST holders can vote because we are far better supporters than these "pay on the day" monkeys.

people will want to be able to watch the games they actually want to watch not have Bournemouth v Burnley forced on them to satisfy a contract drawn up by sky and the premier league.

Of course the problem is those examples you use would suffer along with all bar the Top 6/8 Elite clubs unless as i've stated previously the whole pot from streaming was divided equally among all clubs

What should also not be forgotten are the clubs outside of the football League who rely on attendees, this is a chance for football to come together for the common good of all and not just the Elite.

The same principle applies to tv programs also and should have done from day one instead of paying ever increasing annual subs for channels people never watch

Of course the problem is those examples you use would suffer along with all bar the Top 6/8 Elite clubs unless as i've stated previously the whole pot from streaming was divided equally among all clubs

What should also not be forgotten are the clubs outside of the football League who rely on attendees, this is a chance for football to come together for the common good of all and not just the Elite.

The same principle applies to tv programs also and should have done from day one instead of paying ever increasing annual subs for channels people never watch

Medium and long term this will probably be a boost for footballs big clubs, those with a fanbase in the multi millions will prosper, but that day was coming anyway, strangely for an event that has curtailed travel it will probably speed up the inevitable European super league. The days of individual clubs sorting out their own matches being broadcast has been coming and this will just speed it up.

Smaller clubs, and by that I mean every club that doesn’t get into the new NFL style European set up that will inevitably come at some time will be denied access to the big bucks and will have to learn to survive.

The unique selling point of lower league football is actually going to the matches of a club you have a genuine link to, not watching some distant multi national corporations battle it out, for the time being that has been stopped and this will be harder for smaller clubs, but I suppose it’s a chance to set up a platform to capture those fans who can no longer regularly attend matches for whatever reason but still retain an interest in the club. At the same time we could use this time to come up with ideas to really improve the match day experience (hampered by the stadium situation obviously but you have to work with what you have) as that will always be our thing, we are never going to attract millions of people to watch us the world over on tv.

The situation at the moment will just speed us into the inevitable future, we need to survive this and embrace what’s coming, not going to be able to fight it.

Earlier this month, Uefa warned leagues that ending competitions early could result in them forfeiting Champions League and Europa League places.

But if they don’t then they won’t be done before the qualifying stages of those European competitions (not that they will happen) which is how a lot of the smaller leagues get into Europe.

The sensible option would be to knock champions/Europa league on the head for a season, the world won’t end because Dukla Prague don’t play AEK Athens in a dead rubber group match in the competition formerly known as the UEFA cup, it’s unnecessary travel and risk.

If the season ended now and teams were promoted on current standings or points per game, Coventry should not be allowed to be promoted to the Championship as they do not have a ground to play on next season. The EFL have already been very generous allowing them to play at Birmingham despite this being clearly being outside of the conditions the EFL had previously set that they had to play so many miles from Coventry. This should not be extended for another year or indefinitely otherwise we start to have another franchise club on our hands moving to another city. The Coventry situation could make things very awkward.

If the season ended now and teams were promoted on current standings or points per game, Coventry should not be allowed to be promoted to the Championship as they do not have a ground to play on next season. The EFL have already been very generous allowing them to play at Birmingham despite this being clearly being outside of the conditions the EFL had previously set that they had to play so many miles from Coventry. This should not be extended for another year or indefinitely otherwise we start to have another franchise club on our hands moving to another city. The Coventry situation could make things very awkward.
kick them out and everyone move up a place putting us in 2nd and automatic promotion ?

Though, if no supporters will be allowed in to watch, does it matter where anyone plays next season?

Conceptually*, to help society maintain a full or partial shut down and distract us all when shutdown is starting to wear on people and they are starting to revolt against the lockdown, is restarting football behind closed doors (as an example) a morally questionable decision to take, but for society, something that will give us focus and provide some mental release and structure for people?

*Before anyone wets their pants and suggests I'm costing lives, etc, I am not saying that nor am I say it should be done. There would have to be careful thought, planning, risk assessment, costing etc and mitigation plans in place before it is even considered.

Conceptually*, to help society maintain a full or partial shut down and distract us all when shutdown is starting to wear on people and they are starting to revolt against the lockdown, is restarting football behind closed doors (as an example) a morally questionable decision to take, but for society, something that will give us focus and provide some mental release and structure for people?

*Before anyone wets their pants and suggests I'm costing lives, etc, I am not saying that nor am I say it should be done. There would have to be careful thought, planning, risk assessment, costing etc and mitigation plans in place before it is even considered.

I'd certainly look forward to watching OUFC on screen, if I've found one thing (including before COVID) it's that having something, however small, to do or look forward to is a good thing.
I do have my reservations about the testing and morality of it though, not to mention the enjoyment of the game itself.

I'd certainly look forward to watching OUFC on screen, if I've found one thing (including before COVID) it's that having something, however small, to do or look forward to is a good thing.
I do have my reservations about the testing and morality of it though, not to mention the enjoyment of the game itself.
And that is my point. From a mental health perspective for society, a vague dose of normality once or twice a week, however conceptually questionable, could be seen to be a risk worth considering in the wider scheme of things. Allowing people to get away from how mawkish it's become re: COVID-19 can be a useful tool for society to remove some of the pressure.

I will reiterate for those who skim, I am not saying this should be done at all or it won't come with risk. It would require intelligent planning and costing.

I don't know how we can complete the season. All I hope is that its not just null and voided and written off. I don't even care how they sort out the promotions and relegations. But there has to be ups and downs or what is the point of it all.

I don't know how we can complete the season. All I hope is that its not just null and voided and written off. I don't even care how they sort out the promotions and relegations. But there has to be ups and downs or what is the point of it all.

Yeah I think voiding is the worst thing that can be done. Essentially expunging all the results would mean this season never happened and that Matty Taylor still hasn't scored for us. I think the saving grace is that the vast majority of clubs still want to complete the season. I still think it's far too early to be voiding seasons indefinitely in April as we don't know what the landscape's going to look like when we get to August/September time.

Back
Top Bottom