How to complete the season

Plus, all it needs is for one person at one club to fall ill/need to isolate etc and that will take the whole club out of the fixture list for a while while everyone else isolates, which will suddenly put them 3-4 games behind the others, which will probably need to be caught up before any definitive promotion/relegations can be confirmed.

I can see this season's FA Cup being completed over an 8 day period (QFs Sat/Sun, SFs Tues/Weds, Final Saturday) just to get it done, but it is optimistic to think that ten rounds of fixtures for each of four full divisions can be completed across June and July without someone being struck down somewhere along the line.

UEFA have threatened that sides who are awarded Leagues and European places won't be allowed to play in the next European competitions.

Good point about needing treatment for injuries. It's crazy they're even considering restarting. Scotland seem to be giving Celtic the title and we should do the same sort of thing here - i think they've not decided yet about relegation.

UEFA have threatened that sides who are awarded Leagues and European places won't be allowed to play in the next European competitions.
All the leagues and governing bodies are basically threatening, bullying and blackmailing each other, rather than being sensible and putting practicalities and safety first.

This is what happens when too much money is involved.

I don’t know why they don’t just do top 2 up from all leagues then for one season only, extend the premier league to 22 teams.
Finishing the season is great for the teams still fighting for promotion/staying up but what about the teams that realistically have nothing to play for such as Shrewsbury? Is it really worth them risking their staff and players just to make up the numbers?

Paul Scally (Gills chairman) just said on itv show about the lockdown that he can't see them playing in front of a crowd for six months!!

Paul Scally (Gills chairman) just said on itv show about the lockdown that he can't see them playing in front of a crowd for six months!!
Clubs are being told September 5 is the tentative date for next season to begin, complete with fans in attendance, which is five months from now. So it’s looking pretty spot on in terms of timeline. Grim.

Clubs are being told September 5 is the tentative date for next season to begin, complete with fans in attendance, which is five months from now. So it’s looking pretty spot on in terms of timeline. Grim.
TBH I’d take that. My garden is going to be fantastic

They’ve earmarked Saturday, June 6 as the restart date and want the last fixture completed by August 1. The 20/21 season start date has been pencilled in for Saturday, September 5.

It hasn’t gone down well, especially as many players don’t want to play until they know it’s safe regardless of crowds being present, as if they’re seriously hurt during a match they’re going to need hospital treatment, which for a number of reasons isn’t desirable presently.

I am still eagerly awaiting to hear what the plans are for next season in the event of a second wave.
What do you suggest?

What do you suggest?
I’ve echoed a suggestion that was put forward by somebody online multiple pages ago. Basically stems around canning this season but letting all teams start next season with the current points on the board, with any games in hand to be squared off using the average points per game to plug the gaps. That way the points don’t go to waste and it’s as fair as possible - there is no perfect solution but there are safe and logical ones. This also means that next season can be focussed on properly and they can have a plan A and plan B in terms of scheduling, in case a second wave runs riot later this year. Again, I painted a picture of that many pages ago for anyone who wants a look.

We’ve already seen Napa have his leg snapped in half and Tony Forde suffer a horror injury to his lungs and ribs this season. The number of games left and the number of players taking part across all divisions mean it’s unavoidable that there will be serious injuries which require hospital treatment if they restart the sport in any capacity in the coming months. Until the hospitals are safer and aren’t swamped with covid patients, competitive sport shouldn’t be happening. It’s ridiculous that football is obsessed with finishing this season as is, as quickly as it can and at all costs - it’s endangering players on multiple levels and setting next season up for a fall in the process. The pyramid cannot afford to carelessly stumble into this situation again next time. This outbreak was unprecedented, but they know what the virus means now and they know that a second wave is likely towards winter, so they can’t hide behind excuses if they lose sight of protecting next season in terms of planning. The blind pursuit of 19/20 is becoming more and more ridiculous.

If all the leagues and broadcasters would stop trying to bully and blackmail each other there would be a way out of this, but their greed, ineptitude and the general public’s lusting after the game will mean this is going to rumble on and on until it ends in tears.

At least! Most have said a vaccine or cure is at least 12-18months away. And until then it would be mad to have large gatherings. And to thinking we have these sporting leagues with large crowds;

Football
Rugby
Cricket
Motor Racing
Horse Racing

And America has!
American Football
Basketball
Baseball
Ice Hockey
MLS

I don’t know why they don’t just do top 2 up from all leagues then for one season only, extend the premier league to 22 teams.
Finishing the season is great for the teams still fighting for promotion/staying up but what about the teams that realistically have nothing to play for such as Shrewsbury? Is it really worth them risking their staff and players just to make up the numbers?
That was my thoughts, why would any players of teams not involved with promotion or relegation care if the season started, why would they put their lives and families at risk for a pointless fixture in front of no fans, would they train properly, try in games properly and all the time with the spectre of catching the virus just to appease the money men.

That was my thoughts, why would any players of teams not involved with promotion or relegation care if the season started, why would they put their lives and families at risk for a pointless fixture in front of no fans, would they train properly, try in games properly and all the time with the spectre of catching the virus just to appease the money men.

I could see the benefit for individual players in terms of future careers especially if clubs go to the wall as there will be greater competition for full time roles. So by extension the clubs benefit and many of these players are also natural competitors as well so will want to win for pride or at the least win bonuses etc.

I could see the benefit for individual players in terms of future careers especially if clubs go to the wall as there will be greater competition for full time roles. So by extension the clubs benefit and many of these players are also natural competitors as well so will want to win for pride or at the least win bonuses etc.
I don't agree with that, you are just portraying the selfishness and greed that if rife in football, this is not about money or future worth but about health for yourself and family.

I don't agree with that, you are just portraying the selfishness and greed that if rife in football, this is not about money or future worth but about health for yourself and family.

I see one problem with your thinking and the woman hoarding in the Sun artcle on another thread sums it up perfectly.

I see one problem with your thinking and the woman hoarding in the Sun artcle on another thread sums it up perfectly.
A lot of footballers will be furlonged so get paid whether they play or not, be interesting how the government interpret when being furlonged is over for different businesses, for football will it be when the leagues start up again? This will be a time when furlonged clubs (businesses) will actually be paying out more money to complete fixtures with no extra income to cover it.

First things first I find this virus absolutely abhorrent and when the world finally gets this under proper control hopefully the top scientific boffins can then set out and pinpoint where exactly this virus propelled from and educate and move on from this devastating period.

However, regarding the football I don't know anymore than anybody's else's guesses at the moment to shed any light on any promotion relegation issues to be sorted - but fwiw I feel completely ill at ease at some of our posters replies to 'our' own promotion chances in this current disjointed season.

Fwiw here is my take:- I'd love to hear a proper voice at the club state in a proper player's poll on whether after the season they have three quartered partaken in whether they would or would not like to continue and leave just the top two promoted considering the dire circumstances. I'm pretty sure their would be some conflicting outcomes with maybe the outsider's looking in saying no sir to others (current first team squad) perhaps saying that they will gladly play behind closed doors to sort out the third place (promotion spot) finish and by that I'm suggesting that the current 4 places occupied should stage an home and away tie each as the league stands now - so us to play Peterborough (sh*t) away first with home to follow and Pompey to play Fleetwood away first and home to follow. Then the winner's of the two ties to play a one off final at a neutral ground TBD. This way would eliminate the need to involve any other clubs. This is just my own take on things if the EFL are determined to finish the current season - and of course if the player's poll at not just our club but others clubs are all in agreement.

In ending - my take is that I have some reservations that there are a few fans out there who would be only too happy to curtail the season now because they are unhappy at the thought of us going up and thinking that we would be cannon fodder next season. I really do need to give my head a few more wobbles because that surely isn't true.......is it?

So to sum up:- I personally would be happy if the EFL asked each club if they wanted to curtail the season as it stands now and just send the top two up - and I would be happy but of course a little unhappy in the knowledge if our club agreed to this proposal but at least it would be sacrosanct. But if there is doubt and believe me there would be then perhaps an owner, management and players secret ballot should then be administered to all clubs in these current play off places being targeted and the situation regarding who does what can be rectified as soon as it is safe to do so.

Coyy's.

First things first I find this virus absolutely abhorrent and when the world finally gets this under proper control hopefully the top scientific boffins can then set out and pinpoint where exactly this virus propelled from and educate and move on from this devastating period.

However, regarding the football I don't know anymore than anybody's else's guesses at the moment to shed any light on any promotion relegation issues to be sorted - but fwiw I feel completely ill at ease at some of our posters replies to 'our' own promotion chances in this current disjointed season.

Fwiw here is my take:- I'd love to hear a proper voice at the club state in a proper player's poll on whether after the season they have three quartered partaken in whether they would or would not like to continue and leave just the top two promoted considering the dire circumstances. I'm pretty sure their would be some conflicting outcomes with maybe the outsider's looking in saying no sir to others (current first team squad) perhaps saying that they will gladly play behind closed doors to sort out the third place (promotion spot) finish and by that I'm suggesting that the current 4 places occupied should stage an home and away tie each as the league stands now - so us to play Peterborough (sh*t) away first with home to follow and Pompey to play Fleetwood away first and home to follow. Then the winner's of the two ties to play a one off final at a neutral ground TBD. This way would eliminate the need to involve any other clubs. This is just my own take on things if the EFL are determined to finish the current season - and of course if the player's poll at not just our club but others clubs are all in agreement.

In ending - my take is that I have some reservations that there are a few fans out there who would be only too happy to curtail the season now because they are unhappy at the thought of us going up and thinking that we would be cannon fodder next season. I really do need to give my head a few more wobbles because that surely isn't true.......is it?

So to sum up:- I personally would be happy if the EFL asked each club if they wanted to curtail the season as it stands now and just send the top two up - and I would be happy but of course a little unhappy in the knowledge if our club agreed to this proposal but at least it would be sacrosanct. But if there is doubt and believe me there would be then perhaps an owner, management and players secret ballot should then be administered to all clubs in these current play off places being targeted and the situation regarding who does what can be rectified as soon as it is safe to do so.

Coyy's.
I have to say I’d find it hard to watch Swindon celebrate promotion from their league while we magnanimously step aside, but if it was democratically chosen as the best outcome then so be it..

The EFL/FA would need to get serious over their completions for next season. I'd just transfer the EFL trophy and FA Cup over to next season and scrap the league cup. At least then, it would relieve pressure on the system.

Further, I'd scrap the transfer windows for 1 calendar year.

while there's time available unlikely though it is, Id ideally like FA to 'outlaw' agents as the situation is today
instead, as most, if not all, players are members of PFA, replace agents who are unaccountable to anyone but their bank balance, with PFA representative or PFA approved/ licensed 'agents' instead..... Agents would then have some sort of accountability?

its good friday, the sun is blazing down, if there was no cv19 lockdown the mighty Us would be closing in on a home win V Gasss, Mackie would be coming on for a cameo to 'sanitise' any aspirations of attack by Gasss, by taking the ball to the corner flag and keeping it there.... instead Im bored, bored, bored , but nonetheless staying at home

Back
Top Bottom