How to complete the season

A bit of an "aside" but Jet2 are looking to resume their holiday schedule in mid-June.

Now that is A: Optimistic and will B: Be very restrictive, potentially meaning passengers need to be medically screened first.

Wuhan is releasing its lockdown on Wednesday.............. 3 months after it started.

That puts "us" somewhere around mid to late June.................. assuming there isn`t a spike in new cases as restrictions are eased.

That is my optimistic head, but we have a hell of a storm to weather first................. and I will stick with a late July/August before a semblance of normality returns.

I agree with that. I have so much random thoughts and experts" are saying social distancing and/or restrictions of large events wont be relaxed for another 12 months.

1)What are or will be the financial implications for each club including ours? They still have to pay rent, staff, players, other costs with little or no income?
2)If as some suggest, some clubs go bust, could they be allowed to "survive" but become amateur until financially viable to become professional?
3)Leagues effectively reset, say for example 2 or 3 professional leagues, with 1 or 2 amateur leagues, still with promotion/relegation.
4)Could we use this to get out of our stranglehold by Kassam, maybe name change or legal/league allowance to "start" again with little or no penalty?
5)Current or "new" league starts again in August as usual, either behind closed doors and fans "support" the club by watching online (PPV), or restricted capacity to allow social distancing

The latest development in Scotland.

"SPFL clubs will vote on whether the Scottish Championship, League One and League Two seasons should be ended - but a decision over the outcome of the Premiership has been delayed.

For now, the top flight will remain postponed "to give the best possible opportunity" for it to finish.

But it would also be decided on points won per match "if the SPFL board determines" the games cannot be played.

No decision will be taken until after Uefa's executive meeting on 23 April.

For the resolution to pass, at least 75% of clubs in each division need vote in favour, with Friday 17:00 BST the deadline.

The result is expected to be announced early next week and, should the clubs vote to accept the proposals, Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers would be promoted from their respective divisions, with Partick Thistle and Stranraer relegated.

All play-offs would be cancelled, meaning the pyramid play-off involving the Highland League and Lowland League champions would be scrapped.

However, the SPFL say that, should the plans be approved, they commit to consulting with clubs about reconfiguring the leagues for next season."

I'm not sure this is really fair. What exactly do you expect them to be saying? To be honest, I would rather that we waited until we had a date where play of some description could realistically restart before we were told what those next games would then mean - i.e. are they a continuation of this season or the beginning of next?

Expressing what their 'hopes' are is pointless. I find little more annoying than a BBC Sport notification flashing up on my phone with some headline like 'EFL hopes to finish season by June'. Well, yes, obviously we all would, but that isn't going to happen!

Similarly, until play can restart again, there isn't really any need to declare the 2019/20 season over or void. It might seem like it would provide some clarity, and in one small sense it would, but in reality it would just provide one small piece of certainty in an ocean of continuing uncertainty. The key questions for clubs regarding when they can open for business again (which is, let's face it, what everyone really wants and/or needs to know) would still be determined by the crisis reaching an end point (the date of which is not, of course, definable). And anyway, the inevitable legal battles over relegations / missed promotions / European places would render it all rather moot in any case, as presumably a new season could not be started until those cases were settled.

I take the point, and agree to an extent, about 'someone needing to lead the way', but in the hypothetical situation where e.g. Spain come out next week and declare their season over, with all positions as they currently are considered final, would the Premier League and EFL be required to follow suit? Would it actually resolve any of the anxieties football fans, clubs, players, etc. have about the ongoing situation, given it's still uncertain when 2020/21 could begin?
Exactly!
I a time of great uncertainty it's really not clever to try to be certain.
It might look decisive, but that doesn't mean it's right.

I think that is broadly the best way to go, but with some appropriately big caveats. Fans rightly, will have to lump it and watch it online or listen on the radio.

Playing behind closed doors seems a good idea to begin with, it does come with complications though. Obviously all players must be tested, but this would need to be extended to the groundsman, venue staff, all coaching staff, security to disperse any fans who try and turn up (the added risk of selfish fans trying to sneak a glimpse), the list goes on. Emergency services are also required at games in case of serious injury etc. When you add it up you are bring a lot of people together during a pandemic for the sake of finishing football... which even the biggest fans would surely admit is not essential. I cannot see this being acceptable unless the UK lockdown begins to take effect and bring numbers of infections and deaths right down. I would love us to continue the season and possibly be promoted but not for the sake of health and setting an example to the rest of the country.

Behind closed doors still commands resource. From ground staff to security, through to the potential need for police, ambulance etc ..... can`t see that happening.
Then everyone who is in the ground will need to have been tested and given a ticket to say "Clear". Sorry chaps get to the back of the queue behind front line/essential staff.
The first game played when someone gets the infection............................

It would be more socially responsible to close the season off based on points per game, relegate nobody, promote the top 3 and then sort the rest out over the next two seasons.
The Premierleaguetrough can do what the fudge they like.... nice to see they have had £1.6 billion wiped off "player values".

Behind closed doors still commands resource. From ground staff to security, through to the potential need for police, ambulance etc ..... can`t see that happening.
Then everyone who is in the ground will need to have been tested and given a ticket to say "Clear". Sorry chaps get to the back of the queue behind front line/essential staff.
The first game played when someone gets the infection............................

It would be more socially responsible to close the season off based on points per game, relegate nobody, promote the top 3 and then sort the rest out over the next two seasons.
The Premierleaguetrough can do what the fudge they like.... nice to see they have had £1.6 billion wiped off "player values".
Have you seen what Dana White is doing for UFC?

In some respects, a genius move with so many bored people out there. Morally, questionable

Efl sent comms to all clubs today.
Two-legged semifinals seem unnecessary considering they’re likely to be played behind closed doors. Wouldnt booking out a neutral stadium - even Wembley - for a week, to play all the single game semi-finals and finals be the way to go?

For instance:

Monday - league 2 semi-final
Tuesday league 1 semi-final
Wednesday Championship semi-final
Friday - L2 Final
Saturday L1 Final
Sunday Champ. Final

TV could show all the games live. Just a thought..

If the season is to be completed in this hasty manner, dispensing with the playoffs for this one season and just having top three go up seems to me to be a no-brainer, surely? What's the point in adding 5 games that fans cant even go to anyway - not to mention playing in an empty Wembley (if I've understood the proposals about behind closed doors correctly)?

They’ve earmarked Saturday, June 6 as the restart date and want the last fixture completed by August 1. The 20/21 season start date has been pencilled in for Saturday, September 5.

It hasn’t gone down well, especially as many players don’t want to play until they know it’s safe regardless of crowds being present, as if they’re seriously hurt during a match they’re going to need hospital treatment, which for a number of reasons isn’t desirable presently.

I am still eagerly awaiting to hear what the plans are for next season in the event of a second wave.

They’ve earmarked Saturday, June 6 as the restart date and want the last fixture completed by August 1. The 20/21 season start date has been pencilled in for Saturday, September 5.

It hasn’t gone down well, especially as many players don’t want to play until they know it’s safe regardless of crowds being present, as if they’re seriously hurt during a match they’re going to need hospital treatment, which for a number of reasons isn’t desirable presently.

I am still eagerly awaiting to hear what the plans are for next season in the event of a second wave.
Good point about needing treatment for injuries. It's crazy they're even considering restarting. Scotland seem to be giving Celtic the title and we should do the same sort of thing here - i think they've not decided yet about relegation.

So, essentially in a bid to be seen doing something, they've let this crock of s**t fall out of the bag!

Back
Top Bottom