How to complete the season

Careful now - people will get upset at you for pointing out the obvious. Namely that while this is an unprecedented event, they’re managing to do absolutely and precisely nothing but kick the can and shove their heads underground. Times being hard doesn’t automatically mean that anything they do should be applauded and their situation should see them pitied. You want the perks, the pay packets and the pensions, you figure out a way to work through it. Or at the very least, just communicate clearly and regularly. That would be a start, but they can’t even do that.

I see the FA have cancelled the meeting they were meant to be having tomorrow to ratify the entire non-league season being voided. The authorities and governing bodies in this country are beyond inept.
I think the season should definitely be declared over, but I’m not so keen to blame anyone at this point. The situation is constantly changing and we have to tie in with the premier league who need to tie in with Europe. There’s no point in being decisive for the sake of it.

I think the season should definitely be declared over, but I’m not so keen to blame anyone at this point. The situation is constantly changing and we have to tie in with the premier league who need to tie in with Europe. There’s no point in being decisive for the sake of it.
Indeed, but somebody somewhere has to lead the way. Someone has to start the ball rolling. All that’s going on so far is everyone is looking at each other and shrugging, and then hiding away in silence. The very least they should be doing even if they’re stuck is issuing a full and frank run down of where they are, what their hopes are etc. Even our government is having daily briefings without fail, just to ensure that at least there isn’t radio silence even if there isn’t really a lot to add some days. And yet the footballing bodies between them can’t really say anything at all? Nothing?

It’s poor. Even in times of crisis the least you can do is be there. They’re failing even in that.

tigers message for April .... he wants to play the remaining games (when its safe to do so)... link to OWS

Its not happening. The Open has just been cancelled......that is in JULY.................. are you folk getting the message yet?
Closed doors.............. no. Resources needed, not happening, won`t be back to normal.
Start in July..................no. We won`t be back to normal.

This season is finished the powers that be just need to sort out the curtailed seasons outcome.

Top three go up to Championship. That’ll do me nicely.

Indeed, but somebody somewhere has to lead the way. Someone has to start the ball rolling. All that’s going on so far is everyone is looking at each other and shrugging, and then hiding away in silence. The very least they should be doing even if they’re stuck is issuing a full and frank run down of where they are, what their hopes are etc. Even our government is having daily briefings without fail, just to ensure that at least there isn’t radio silence even if there isn’t really a lot to add some days. And yet the footballing bodies between them can’t really say anything at all? Nothing?

It’s poor. Even in times of crisis the least you can do is be there. They’re failing even in that.
I'm not sure this is really fair. What exactly do you expect them to be saying? To be honest, I would rather that we waited until we had a date where play of some description could realistically restart before we were told what those next games would then mean - i.e. are they a continuation of this season or the beginning of next?

Expressing what their 'hopes' are is pointless. I find little more annoying than a BBC Sport notification flashing up on my phone with some headline like 'EFL hopes to finish season by June'. Well, yes, obviously we all would, but that isn't going to happen!

Similarly, until play can restart again, there isn't really any need to declare the 2019/20 season over or void. It might seem like it would provide some clarity, and in one small sense it would, but in reality it would just provide one small piece of certainty in an ocean of continuing uncertainty. The key questions for clubs regarding when they can open for business again (which is, let's face it, what everyone really wants and/or needs to know) would still be determined by the crisis reaching an end point (the date of which is not, of course, definable). And anyway, the inevitable legal battles over relegations / missed promotions / European places would render it all rather moot in any case, as presumably a new season could not be started until those cases were settled.

I take the point, and agree to an extent, about 'someone needing to lead the way', but in the hypothetical situation where e.g. Spain come out next week and declare their season over, with all positions as they currently are considered final, would the Premier League and EFL be required to follow suit? Would it actually resolve any of the anxieties football fans, clubs, players, etc. have about the ongoing situation, given it's still uncertain when 2020/21 could begin?

The irony in all this could be that WC being moved to Nov 2022 in Qatar could give football the time in its schedule. And I am sure some weenie in FIFA and those once in it, will parade in front of the media claiming credit for it.

The irony in all this could be that WC being moved to Nov 2022 in Qatar could give football the time in its schedule. And I am sure some weenie in FIFA and those once in it, will parade in front of the media claiming credit for it.
I saw this as a suggestion very early on, which basically involves moving the Euros to the end of next year, then finishing this season later this year once the all clear is given, then have the next two seasons based on calendar years, ending with the international tournaments, then decide at that stage whether to continue on that basis or revert to the traditional timetable

I saw this as a suggestion very early on, which basically involves moving the Euros to the end of next year, then finishing this season later this year once the all clear is given, then have the next two seasons based on calendar years, ending with the international tournaments, then decide at that stage whether to continue on that basis or revert to the traditional timetable
In an ideal world they probably would make the changes. Having the post-season over the coldest months of the year instead of some of the warmest would effectively wipe out weather related postponements, provide better pitches and so on. It makes a lot of sense.

Then you look at the fact that the Christmas period provides almost daily televised games in the PL, and gives most lower league clubs their biggest gates of the season, and you realise that there’s virtually no chance of anybody agreeing to such a thing.

The other issue would be European conformity in terms of the CL and EL as presumably these would have to be rescheduled too.
Also, the other countries are not as married to the Christmas fixture blast as we are, so would not mind making the switch permanently,whereas the mood here would likely be somewhat different.

not sure if this has already been posted, but the Belgian league has been declared completed, meaning Kemar Roofe misses out on a chance of European Cup competition next season with Anderlecht.

The other issue would be European conformity in terms of the CL and EL as presumably these would have to be rescheduled too.
Also, the other countries are not as married to the Christmas fixture blast as we are, so would not mind making the switch permanently,whereas the mood here would likely be somewhat different.
Of course, the global football calendar has to be considered to see - stuff like the African Cup Of Nations and the Copa America would need to be considered. Not deal breakers, but added complication at short notice

Of course, the global football calendar has to be considered to see - stuff like the African Cup Of Nations and the Copa America would need to be considered. Not deal breakers, but added complication at short notice
Brown envelopes stuffed with filthy lucre may be the way to 'sort' Copa & cup of nations? .... Ive a feeling that kind of approach has 'worked' with South American and African football authorities previously ? ?

And no mention of him having played for OUFC

Did you miss this bit... ☺

Roofe started out his football career with West Brom, before leaving to join Oxford United where he enjoyed a breakthrough campaign.

That earned him a move to Leeds where he spent three years and almost guided the club back to the Premier League last season.

Did you miss this bit... ☺
Yep and they mention WBA as his former club. It didn’t start for them, a bit like BBC South and Meridian don’t always get much of a mention or maybe just show the 1 goal out of the three we’ve scored but show Pompey a 2 in their 3-2 defeat.

A bit of an "aside" but Jet2 are looking to resume their holiday schedule in mid-June.

Now that is A: Optimistic and will B: Be very restrictive, potentially meaning passengers need to be medically screened first.

Wuhan is releasing its lockdown on Wednesday.............. 3 months after it started.

That puts "us" somewhere around mid to late June.................. assuming there isn`t a spike in new cases as restrictions are eased.

That is my optimistic head, but we have a hell of a storm to weather first................. and I will stick with a late July/August before a semblance of normality returns.

Back
Top Bottom