How to complete the season

Communication has been beyond poor - people at several clubs who I know have all said the impression they’re getting is that the league doesn’t know whether it’s coming or going. I would feel sorry for the EFL if I thought they’d shown any sort of leadership or competence at all in recent years, but all they’ve done is fundamentally mismanage their own affairs and catastrophically fail several of their own member clubs. Not to mention the fact that they managed to sell their own cup competition down the river to the Premier League a couple of years ago. The management of the EFL has been horrific for years. It’s been a gravy train and an old boys network, and there are too many people on it who have done precisely nothing for the league and its member clubs. They’re paid an awful lot of money and given an awful lot of privilege, and while nobody can expect them to have perfect answers in this situation, they should have more to offer after a month than just a shrug of the shoulders. And as for the Premier League, well, I think anyone not living under a rock knows how shocking they’ve been as a governing body for years.

The future of dozens of clubs is in the balance and they are getting very little information - far less than they should be. At some point they need to make some sort of statement that at least shows they’re being assertive and decisive. Of course no decision will make everybody happy - that’s life. But the sound of cans being kicked around grows louder every day.

I don't deny most of that. I'm just sympathising in this particular case, because this is such a difficult situation. And I'd rather they think it through and get the best possible solution, even if that means waiting a while, rather than rush it and balls it up completely.

Like I say, this is something no one has experiences and no one could've foreseen, so I'm prepared to cut them some slack.

The main point is most of the ideas thoughts suggestions across all sports and life in general are made that will benefit mainly those making them..as far as the virus goes 99.99999% do not have a clue and comments are individually driven rather than what's best for all concerned.
Some of our top sports are not doing themselves any favours during all this and showing themselves up for what they're all about ££££££££

A decision on completion will and can only be made once the curve starts going down. We are seeing record death numbers every day and little abatement on new infections. As long as the status quo is maintained we have to assume season cancelled by the end of the Easter hols...

Communication has been beyond poor - people at several clubs who I know have all said the impression they’re getting is that the league doesn’t know whether it’s coming or going. I would feel sorry for the EFL if I thought they’d shown any sort of leadership or competence at all in recent years, but all they’ve done is fundamentally mismanage their own affairs and catastrophically fail several of their own member clubs. Not to mention the fact that they managed to sell their own cup competition down the river to the Premier League a couple of years ago. The management of the EFL has been horrific for years. It’s been a gravy train and an old boys network, and there are too many people on it who have done precisely nothing for the league and its member clubs. They’re paid an awful lot of money and given an awful lot of privilege, and while nobody can expect them to have perfect answers in this situation, they should have more to offer after a month than just a shrug of the shoulders. And as for the Premier League, well, I think anyone not living under a rock knows how shocking they’ve been as a governing body for years.

The future of dozens of clubs is in the balance and they are getting very little information - far less than they should be. At some point they need to make some sort of statement that at least shows they’re being assertive and decisive. Of course no decision will make everybody happy - that’s life. But the sound of cans being kicked around grows louder every day.
They have issued a statement saying, they will resume when it is safe to do so!

A decision on completion will and can only be made once the curve starts going down. We are seeing record death numbers every day and little abatement on new infections. As long as the status quo is maintained we have to assume season cancelled by the end of the Easter hols...
Well, the season will surely be cancelled, but it’s not clear how they will resolve promotion and titles, and Europe. It will have to agreed across the continent I imagine. I can’t see them starting the next champions league with this years teams

Could play the remaining matches somewhere that hasn't been infected yet - for example Fiji or the Solomon Islands.

I have seen somewhere that a averaging method maybe used to settle final league positions. This would mean taking the average number of points per game home and away so far and applying them to all remaining home and away games.

Surely the only fair way is to take current form, say points per game from the last 5 matches x games left, then go with that.
I assume the top 3 will automatically go up now as play offs will not happen. If it is the case your way or mine will work nicely.?I statoed! it earlier. Too much time on my hands even with work still plus my kids. A few beers ? now I think, not a lot else to do.Have a good weekend,
As a ps it would’ve been the first day of the cricket season today. My team Yorkshire have a decent looking side for championship and t20 so fingers crossed the dreadful virus will disappear ASAP and normal life can return.

Last edited:
I assume the top 3 will automatically go up now as play offs will not happen. If it is the case your way or mine will work nicely.?I statoed! it earlier. Too much time on my hands even with work still plus my kids. A few beers ? now I think, not a lot else to do.Have a good weekend,
As a ps it would’ve been the first day of the cricket season today. My team Yorkshire have a decent looking side for championship and t20 so fingers crossed the dreadful virus will disappear ASAP and normal life can return.
The problem with that ( and I haven’t got a problem with it is Wyscumb “ Oi we’ve got. Game in hand on Oxford “ “ you may have Gareth but will you win
14-0 ?”

The problem with that ( and I haven’t got a problem with it is Wyscumb “ Oi we’ve got. Game in hand on Oxford “ “ you may have Gareth but will you win
14-0 ?”
Ainsworth's anifootballers are hardly prolific, as their minuscule goal difference this season so far confirms - fair point @bazzer9461

i'm sorry you cannot just say that the team in the next place after the autos gets promotion, that place is not an automatic place

14-0 ?”
The thing is that’s why you have do you by points average per game applied over 22 home and away games. They have a superior home record to us by 6 points having played a game more, but they have 7 less points from 2 less games away. We would be using 80% of the season to determine 20% which has to be the fairest way. It is a shame we couldn’t have all played 1 extra game as I think their whinging would’ve been irrelevant. As an aside will you be gutted as we may well have had a 20 goal striker this season?.

The thing is that’s why you have do you by points average per game applied over 22 home and away games. They have a superior home record to us by 6 points having played a game more, but they have 7 less points from 2 less games away. We would be using 80% of the season to determine 20% which has to be the fairest way. It is a shame we couldn’t have all played 1 extra game as I think their whinging would’ve been irrelevant. As an aside will you be gutted as we may well have had a 20 goal striker this season?.
May have had 2 James Henry only 6 off ? but there would be legal challenges if the EFL went with Coventry, Rotherham and Wycombe especially if Wycombe were chosen

Back
Top Bottom