How to complete the season

I think whatever happens the same decision has to apply to both PL and EFL, for instance if PL is completed and EFL is voided where do the relegated clubs go with no-one promoted from Championship?

If positions are decided in whatever way without a ball being kicked then the only option the PL and EFL have is to throw money at the clubs adversely affected to avoid legal action, i'd imagine many clubs would take that money happily.
I still think that given the circumstances a lot of people swinging their dicks about and threatening legal action are going to be disappointed. An awful lot of courts are going to tell them to grow up and get on with it, seeing as this is a genuine global pandemic that has never occurred in our lifetime, and therefore there isn’t even a precedent if they wanted to try it.

Legal action might sound big and tough as we’ve been conditioned to fear the words and the idea of it, but I would put a lot of money on people being told to sit down and shut up given the severity of what has occurred here, which goes far beyond sport. There is going to be a big enough mess to clean up without courts wanting to pander to this garbage.

Pause the season now with no promotion or relegation.

Restart next season in the normal way but with the starting point being where teams are placed now.

Throughout next season claw back the unplayed games and make capacity by scrapping tin pot and EFL cup.

Any player changes in the summer would be no different to the January transfer window.

No one could argue that they have been disadvantaged. Teams at the top get the opportunity to continue their promotion push and teams at the bottom get the opportunity to fight their way out of relegation.

You are confusing the 6 months and 18 months together. They are considering that a shutdown could be in place for 6 months of the majority that are now in place, and separately a period of 18 months of regional closure of some aspects, including large gatherings.
That's not how I heard it and she clarified it's number of times.
They are not considering a 6 month shutdown ( not to say that they wont at a later date). The peak is likely in the next 3 to 4 weeks. On the basis that they dont know what will happen after that why would they at this stage consider a 6 month lock down?
Wuhan was locked down for what 2 months? They are now starting to let people out and about.
I suspect that all of the scientists in every Country will be watching Wuhan with great interest.

I still think that given the circumstances a lot of people swinging their dicks about and threatening legal action are going to be disappointed. An awful lot of courts are going to tell them to grow up and get on with it, seeing as this is a genuine global pandemic that has never occurred in our lifetime, and therefore there isn’t even a precedent if they wanted to try it.

Legal action might sound big and tough as we’ve been conditioned to fear the words and the idea of it, but I would put a lot of money on people being told to sit down and shut up given the severity of what has occurred here, which goes far beyond sport. There is going to be a big enough mess to clean up without courts wanting to pander to this garbage.
I understand where you’re coming from regarding the legal challenges and so fourth, but if that were to happen then for this season only all money’s due from PL to Natiinal league should be distributed a lot more than they are at the moment as some of these lower league clubs and that could include us, be so deep in the s**t financially that we could go out f buisness.

Press pause on your sky sports subscription will some of us some money at least ,just wait till Sky & BT ask for a portion of their money back we will soon have the bigger clubs crying as they can't afford the overpaid primadonnas of the premier league .

Pause the season now with no promotion or relegation.

Restart next season in the normal way but with the starting point being where teams are placed now.

Throughout next season claw back the unplayed games and make capacity by scrapping tin pot and EFL cup.

Any player changes in the summer would be no different to the January transfer window.

No one could argue that they have been disadvantaged. Teams at the top get the opportunity to continue their promotion push and teams at the bottom get the opportunity to fight their way out of relegation.

Agree 100%

That's not how I heard it and she clarified it's number of times.
They are not considering a 6 month shutdown ( not to say that they wont at a later date). The peak is likely in the next 3 to 4 weeks. On the basis that they dont know what will happen after that why would they at this stage consider a 6 month lock down?
Wuhan was locked down for what 2 months? They are now starting to let people out and about.
I suspect that all of the scientists in every Country will be watching Wuhan with great interest.

Simply quoting the Deputy Chief Scientist and a couple of other commentators who spoke yesterday of closures, the current situation lasting for a period of 6 months, to prevent a flare up of the virus. Wuhan was first hit with initial closures in December. Only now, nearly April are they opening up some areas.

I know schools don't expect to open up again properly, following countries like the UAE where they are closed until September.

Large scale social gatherings are some months off. I agree that schools are unlikely to reopen until September, and would be surprised if sporting events happen before then either. The lockdown that we're seeing now will likely go into May, but then there will be a gradual opening up of 'normal life through the summer I'd guess. The problem is that many have shown that they can't be trusted to follow even this lockdown, so we could potentially have another flare up if everyone goes batshit crazy the moment they're let out.

I'm not sure that next season could be completed in full, especially if there is a second wave in the winter. So for that reason, I'd probably favour finding someway to finish this season if it could ever happen in a meaningful way. But right now, I'll just be happy to get back to something near normal regardless of what happens on the football pitch.

Simply quoting the Deputy Chief Scientist and a couple of other commentators who spoke yesterday of closures, the current situation lasting for a period of 6 months, to prevent a flare up of the virus. Wuhan was first hit with initial closures in December. Only now, nearly April are they opening up some areas.

I know schools don't expect to open up again properly, following countries like the UAE where they are closed until September.
?
Wuhan seriously started closing down around 22 January . Thd first death was announced on 11 January.
The easing of the restrictions started a few days ago. So 2.5 months?
I agree that schools wont open until September.
I would bet that these restrictions are not in for 6 months though.
There will I suspect be an washing of restrictions (not a return to normal life) in a few weeks.
Depending on whether the virus keeps returning for not (nobody knows) will depend on whether further restrictions are required later in the year (until a vaccine is found)?

Belarus is perhaps an interesting Petrie dish for what we do. I wouldn't cancel it all now, but perhaps after the peak has been met, rearrange fixtures behind closed doors as so few games are left, and reassess over the summer months what happened.

At some point, we need to think about what next. Does L1 have 1 team down next year? Is promotion cancelled to the National League? 2 of many other questions.

I reckon restart mid June, hopefully. Finish in September.
Restart in October but dispense with all the cup competitions in the new season.
That way, we can complete the fixtures and the promotion and relegation issues can be resolved.

?
Wuhan seriously started closing down around 22 January . Thd first death was announced on 11 January.
The easing of the restrictions started a few days ago. So 2.5 months?
I agree that schools wont open until September.
I
There will I suspect be an washing of restrictions (not a return to normal life) in a few weeks.
Depending on whether the virus keeps returning for not (nobody knows) will depend on whether further restrictions are required later in the year (until a vaccine is found)?

but the chief medical officer has said it could last 6 months......personally I hope not as I along with a million + are in total lockdown because of underlying health conditions.

I reckon restart mid June, hopefully. Finish in September.
Restart in October but dispense with all the cup competitions in the new season.
That way, we can complete the fixtures and the promotion and relegation issues can be resolved.

I think any large public gatherings before September will be optimistic at this stage. I would think that a June restart will have to have games behind closed doors, which may still allow the season to conclude but would be far from ideal.

You won`t see public gatherings such as sporting events anytime in the next 12 weeks. That`s June gone.

When the numbers and the science "balance up" with risk etc then there will be a very gradual release back to "normal". That will take another 4 weeks and will be measured and assessed again. That`s July gone.

Purely informed speculation on my part, the NHS are moving and planning towards 6 months already. How that pans out across society is very dependent on how society behaves under restrictions over time.

Toss of a coin best of 5 per game to decide each game. ,new tables after every results , Lady Luck comes into play

Toss of a coin best of 5 per game to decide each game. ,new tables after every results , Lady Luck comes into play
So long as it doesn’t feature Oxford on TV
We don’t tend to win on TV

• React
Reactions: m
So long as it doesn’t feature Oxford on TV
We don’t tend to win on TV

Is there any data on our historical performances on TV? Know we were famed for bollocking it up on Setanta but since then I think we've not been so bad when you take cup games etc. into account...

Setanta. There's a memory. I remember subscribing to that for a bit because it was showing us and other matches at our level. Then I realised I was missing most of them (as - oddly enough - I tended to be out at football matches at exactly the same time they were being shown!) and decided to cancel. It wasn't expensive to start with IIRC, but when I rang up to cancel they were so desperate for ANY money at all, they offered it to me at 99p a month! I declined. Oddly enough, they ceased broadcasting shortly afterwards...

Looking on Wiki, they owed about £500 million. Blimey - not sure how 99p a month would have helped them really!

Each club could send their best tossers to Wembley for a day of Tossing to see who is relegated, promoted & eventually champions!!

Back
Top Bottom