How to complete the season

How many more times? There won't be games behind closed doors. The players can't gather together at the moment or for the foreseeable future. If there does come a time when going back to work is allowed but mass gatherings are still banned, closed door games are still unlikely due to the risk of people gathering outside.

So why hasn’t the season already been made null and void if this isn’t an option?

Very speculative but here's the latest rumour.

Played behind closed doors, beginning in July over a 4-6 week period.

A lot of clubs are going to be very stretched financially if that's the case.

Exactly like I said before - blindly chasing completing this season at the potential expense of next, thus creating an even bigger problem and an even bigger threat to the game. Well done, guys. Really well done. I hope this isn’t true, but I’ve thought all along that it would be. Nobody plans long term anymore.

So let’s say they start again in July, finish late August, few weeks off before starting the new season around mid-September, and then the hugely-expected second wave of this thing smashes in right around that same time - bang. Goodnight.

As I said before, they should be accepting that this season is done for and starting the next season in July, which also eliminates the sticky situation regarding player contracts which expire on June 30. They should then be getting games played thick and fast (two per week, Saturday / Tuesday) before the second wave hits us two or three months on, and then even if we have another 4/5 month layoff the clubs can come back around February / March and smash through the rest of the fixtures at the same rate, thus completing the season by June. At that point there should be a vaccine either out there or right on the cusp of being so. Cup competitions would likely need to go to allow the league fixtures to be completed with no distractions, but at least every club would get their 40+ games and subsequent gate receipts, allowing them a shot at survival. If by some miracle a second wave doesn’t arrive in the autumn - it’s nearly guaranteed to, but let’s say it doesn’t - then the remaining fixtures following the frantic start can be spaced out a little more, going back down to Saturday only, and a mid-season break can come in before or after the festive period. This way there is a viable plan for if there is a second wave, and a viable plan for if by some luck there isn’t. Either way, next season is completed and clubs can bank on some sort of revenue.

Or we could just cause more problems for ourselves in a manner such as the one outlined in that article, and become so obsessed with the final nine or ten games that we destroy the whole of next season, and with it risk the existence of half of the footballing pyramid. Either way.

If lower league clubs are still in existence if the government as it stands states could be shutdown for 6 MTHS would either cancel this season or next season , I for one would go for later as most clubs have 9/10 games left plus playoffs and pre season to get prepared for the few games..
So season could restart November into December with conclusion sometime in march and euros in may /June .

If lower league clubs are still in existence if the government as it stands states could be shutdown for 6 MTHS would either cancel this season or next season , I for one would go for later as most clubs have 9/10 games left plus playoffs and pre season to get prepared for the few games..
So season could restart November into December with conclusion sometime in march and euros in may /June .

What would we use to pay the wages for a whole extra year with hardly any ticket income? 9 games (with perhaps the play offs) with only non season ticket holders paying between now and August 2021is going to see us lose astronomical money (for us and even in comparison to current losses).

We might be lucky and tiger bankrolls it I suppose, but scrapping next season would decimate the football league, how many clubs will be able to afford to lose a seasons income?

What would we use to pay the wages for a whole extra year with hardly any ticket income? 9 games (with perhaps the play offs) with only non season ticket holders paying between now and August 2021is going to see us lose astronomical money (for us and even in comparison to current losses).

We might be lucky and tiger bankrolls it I suppose, but scrapping next season would decimate the football league, how many clubs will be able to afford to lose a seasons income?

We got the money from FosBap after their foresighted sale by the club. :)

We got the money from FosBap after their foresighted sale by the club. :)

Wont that be needed to (part) cover this seasons losses? Suppose we could sell Dickie and Brannigan in the next window, whenever that may be, to cover a bit of losses of next season not being played.

The world seems to have gone completely bonkers. Total shut down now reportedly needed for the next 6 months and restrictions on social gatherings required for 18 months until the vaccine is readily available. As much as we all love sport/football, i think its going to be a very long time until we see it ’in the flesh’ again.. See you all on the other side people, whenever that might be ?

Wont that be needed to (part) cover this seasons losses? Suppose we could sell Dickie and Brannigan in the next window, whenever that may be, to cover a bit of losses of next season not being played.
Dickie and Brannagan were being sold regardless.

Come on - we’re all bored. We need a grenade or two being tossed about ?

However, because there’s no revenue coming in it means that actually selling players won’t really happen. Who is going to start buying players when there’s no money arriving, and no games on the horizon, which means they’re spending money and wages on a player whose contract also starts ticking down immediately?

The world seems to have gone completely bonkers. Total shut down now reportedly needed for the next 6 months and restrictions on social gatherings required for 18 months until the vaccine is readily available. As much as we all love sport/football, i think its going to be a very long time until we see it ’in the flesh’ again.. See you all on the other side people, whenever that might be ?
Well the deputy chief scientist said absolutely nothing of the sort today.
They are saying nothing about complete shutdown for 6 months (the current state may ne needed for 2 to 3 months).
They dont know what us going to happen so 18 month is a hugely negative way to look at it.
That's possible but many disagree.

Dickie and Brannagan were being sold regardless.

Come on - we’re all bored. We need a grenade or two being tossed about ?

However, because there’s no revenue coming in it means that actually selling players won’t really happen. Who is going to start buying players when there’s no money arriving, and no games on the horizon, which means they’re spending money and wages on a player whose contract also starts ticking down immediately?

Dunno, few prem clubs might make lowball offers for lower league players, see if they are any good then if not sell them on for the same once the football is back up and running properly in a couple of years. Not as if players and lower league clubs will be able to haggle much.

I suspect the value of players will go right down and we’ll be playing the likes of Nico Jones, which is fine if the other teams are as well

Like I’ve said before, we should complete this season whenever that is. Having said that, the decision will be based on whatever the TV companies want which will probably be to end this season and prepare for next.

Last edited:
Well the deputy chief scientist said absolutely nothing of the sort today.
They are saying nothing about complete shutdown for 6 months (the current state may ne needed for 2 to 3 months).
They dont know what us going to happen so 18 month is a hugely negative way to look at it.
That's possible but many disagree.

You are confusing the 6 months and 18 months together. They are considering that a shutdown could be in place for 6 months of the majority that are now in place, and separately a period of 18 months of regional closure of some aspects, including large gatherings. All though are under constant review.

There is tentative talk of schools not opening again until September, due to the large gathering rule. If that is the case, then you should consider football coming under the same umbrella.

Next season could quite easily start in September (possibly even October) if the authorities cancel the JPT and possibly League Cup for next season and agree to host Tuesday night games earlier in the season. I think the FA Cup has to happen as it's a lifeline for clubs lower down the pyramid.

As for revenue from the League Cup, paying the share of the prize money equally to Championship clubs and lower to me would be a sensible compromise. I appreciate that revenue is still lost from gate receipts but I think lost revenue in some shape or form is inevitable

It won’t work , a 2 person riot I don’t think so, we all hope for a sensible solution to this , whatever is decided will make some people happy or unhappy, the most important point in all which must be the driving force behind the decision is public safety , football at the moment is not important in the great scheme of things, when you hear of medical staff dying whilst doing their jobs

Only if it’s done locally consist of no more than 2 people who are 2 metres apart and didn’trequire travel to take place, so in other words it’s going to be the classic one man and his dog in the back garden as the wife isn’t interested in football, not sure if the dog is to be honest

Back
Top Bottom