How to complete the season

Cheeky! I am more humanitarian than you may think. And I am alone in my office, social distancing and all that. :)

Yep. And the more I see what is going on, and the time it will take to get back to "normal", there won`t be enough time left before next season starts so bin it, sorry Scouser`s that cold Karma will taste nice.
Still not only two choices tho is it?

It's pointless trying to decide this until we have some idea of when games might be able to start again. I'd lean towards trying to play next season in as complete a way as possible , maybe abolishing cups, and drawing a line under this one with minimal one-up-one-down or something, but if we can't get going again till after Christmas it might be better just to complete this season.

It's pointless trying to decide this until we have some idea of when games might be able to start again. I'd lean towards trying to play next season in as complete a way as possible , maybe abolishing cups, and drawing a line under this one with minimal one-up-one-down or something, but if we can't get going again till after Christmas it might be better just to complete this season.
This. Personally I think it is as far a possible vital to complete this season as I really don't think you can start a competition that has such large potential consequences for those competing, get 80% of the way through it and then scrap it. But, as said, there is no way of knowing at the moment when this situation is going to became contained enough for things to restart.

If we restart in September/October and can complete by the New Year, then do so. Scrap the cup competitions, have a two week winter/between-season break and start the new season asap (which might have to be extended into the summer somewhat).

If we cannot restart until the New Year, then the financial health of the clubs is going to come into sharp focus. If we completed this season at the expense of next season even taking place that would be a whole season's season ticket / gate money that the clubs wouldn't get. That would push most clubs over the edge I reckon. :( So I think this season would *have* to be scrapped or there would be few clubs playing the next one.

probably no kind of barometer whatsoever, but, OUWFC season is over, ceased to be, scrapped....

probably no kind of barometer whatsoever, but, OUWFC season is over, ceased to be, scrapped....

...and now, more breaking news ...all football below National leaugue level 'cancelled'...

Three Brighton players have just tested positive today. Players are still catching it now and will continue for weeks and weeks yet. Minimum.

There is no way this season will continue even behind closed doors for many months to come. Once the tipping point arrives x amount of months down the line and it’s suddenly a straight choice between the 9 or 10 remaining games of this season or the 40+ of a new one, there will only be one winner. After many months of no income, no club at any level can afford to sack off an entire season to finish the last chunk of another. Integrity of the sport will rightly finish second to survival of the game.

• React
Reactions: MJB
If we did PPG for the remaining fixtures the table would be the following:

Coventry 90.6
Rotherham 81.4
--------------------------
Wycombe 79.8
Oxford 78.8
Pompey 78.8
Fleetwood 78.8
Peterborough 77.5
Sunderland 75.3
Doncaster 73
Gillingham 67
Ipswich 66.4
Burton 63
Blackpool 59.1
Bristol Rovers 59.1
Shrewsbury 55.4
Lincoln 55.2
Accrington 52.5
MK Dons 48.6
Rochdale 47.6
Wimbledon 46
Tranmere 43.2
Southend 24.9
Bolton 23.1

The main change would be Wycombe jumping to 3rd and Peterborough missing out on a play off place. The bottom 3 wouldn't change. If you did best PPG out of the 4 teams to go up then Wycombe have 1.73PPG and us plus the other 2 have 1.71PPG so Wycombe would go up.

Coventry 90.6
Rotherham 81.4
Wycombe 79.8
Oxford 78.8
Pompey 78.8
Fleetwood 78.8
Peterborough 77.5
Sunderland 75.3
Doncaster 73
Gillingham 67
Ipswich 66.4
Burton 63
Blackpool 59.1
Bristol Rovers 59.1
Shrewsbury 55.4
Lincoln 55.2
Accrington 52.5
MK Dons 48.6
Rochdale 47.6
Wimbledon 46
Tranmere 43.2
Southend 24.9
Bolton 23.1

The main change would be Wycombe jumping to 3rd and Peterborough missing out on a play off place. The bottom 3 wouldn't change. If you did best PPG out of the 4 teams to go up then Wycombe have 1.73PPG and us plus the other 2 have 1.71PPG so Wycombe would go up.
But they won’t do a PPG there would be to many legal challenges

Coventry 90.6
Rotherham 81.4
Wycombe 79.8
Oxford 78.8
Pompey 78.8
Fleetwood 78.8
Peterborough 77.5
Sunderland 75.3
Doncaster 73
Gillingham 67
Ipswich 66.4
Burton 63
Blackpool 59.1
Bristol Rovers 59.1
Shrewsbury 55.4
Lincoln 55.2
Accrington 52.5
MK Dons 48.6
Rochdale 47.6
Wimbledon 46
Tranmere 43.2
Southend 24.9
Bolton 23.1

And then you get the hand grenade that Wycombe have beaten Bolton twice including against their youth team at the start of the season.

The precedent has been set with the two decisions made so far - season over and results expunged.

If/when they do that the legal implications will be massive with regards to clubs paying various fees/bookings etc. Imagine us (oufc) who have basically paid 600k plus in rent to play 35+ friendlies.
we will soon get into a time where usually clubs start selling next season’s ST. They rely on that income during the summer of no football. They won’t be able to due to not knowing when the season begins.

I think the the efl will commit to completing this season when possible with plans in place to reduce the size of next season. No cup competitions or playoffs and increased number of midweek fixtures.

The complications will be around player contracts, but I would guess that the pfa will support extended contracts until the 19/20 finishes on the same terms. There will be one transfer window between the seasons, nothing in January and hopefully get through to start afresh in 21/22 with a "normal" season.

And then you get the hand grenade that Wycombe have beaten Bolton twice including against their youth team at the start of the season.
And their game in hand is Coventry (a) that they'd likely lose.

Back
Top Bottom