How to complete the season

Is that correct? The reason I ask is the year Charlton were in the playoffs as a 'higher division' team, we finished 1 place above them, thanks to our win at Luton (for those who don't remember it, we needed a win to stay up, Luton were about 5th in the top flight, had a plastic pitch, and had banned away fans. It was a difficult place to go. We were 2-0 up with about 4mins to go and safety, before Luton scored twice to make it 2-2 in the last minute. Dean Saunders then made himself a club legend by scoring for 3-2 deep into stoppage time, keeping us up).

Now, in my head, only 2 went straight down, and 3rd bottom went into the playoff, not 3 down and 4th bottom. The reason I think this? Our highest ever league finish is 18th in the top flight, which we did twice, 85/6 and 86/7, both 4th from bottom.

Please don't tell me I've had this wrong for 35 years!!! ? ?
In 1987 we finished 18th which was 5th from bottom

Oxford pl 42 46 points
Charlton pl 42 44 points
Leicester pl42 42 points
Man City pl42 39 points
Aston Villa pl42 36 points

The bottom 3 were relegated and Charlton went into the playoffs.

If we have to self isolate for the majority of this year, it might be an idea to resume the league and cup competitions in early March 2021, effectively picking up where we left off.

If we have to self isolate for the majority of this year, it might be an idea to resume the league and cup competitions in early March 2021, effectively picking up where we left off.
If we have to do that, I think half of us will have gone stir crazy by then! :(

If we have to do that, I think half of us will have gone stir crazy by then! :(
Has anyone else been reduced to watching Aussie Rules Football on BT Sport? What a weird game. And sadly they seem to have eradicated the mass brawls and full-on punch-ups that used to make for watchable YouTube clips. Without the knuckle-dragger violence it's plain boring.

Has anyone else been reduced to watching Aussie Rules Football on BT Sport? What a weird game. And sadly they seem to have eradicated the mass brawls and full-on punch-ups that used to make for watchable YouTube clips. Without the knuckle-dragger violence it's plain boring.

Yes, I started watching and found like you it was just dull. There hve been A League games on yesterday and today, obviously behind closed doors, but I doubt that will last.

In 1987 we finished 18th which was 5th from bottom

Oxford pl 42 46 points
Charlton pl 42 44 points
Leicester pl42 42 points
Man City pl42 39 points
Aston Villa pl42 36 points

The bottom 3 were relegated and Charlton went into the playoffs.
Looking at that table and then remembering places like grays and histon unbelievable but annoyingly true

And it’s a truncated version of the game to boot - shorter quarters and a plan to hold a 17-game season only.

A most unusual sport that seems to have lost sight of and ignored its virtues, leaving us with the modern-day borefest you refer to.

I can’t bring myself to watch it, and it’s on at an ideal time for me.

At least Australian NRL continues albeit also behind closed doors, and it is well worth watching. There is a New Zealand club team who now can’t go home and are committed to remain in Australia for the duration; that’s admirable. Particularly if, as likely, the competition still gets pulled in the next month anyway.

According to the Torygraph, the PL are making tentative plans to start the season on June 1st and complete the season in 6 weeks.

Our top virologist Dr. Drosten (Charite) has just said he expects games to be played behind closed doors until one year from now (March 2021). Letting huge gatherings happen again before the virus has been reduced to minimal levels (case and mortality) makes "absolutely no sense".

Our top virologist Dr. Drosten (Charite) has just said he expects games to be played behind closed doors until one year from now (March 2021). Letting huge gatherings happen again before the virus has been reduced to minimal levels (case and mortality) makes "absolutely no sense".
That may well be the expert view from a virologist, but if you apply that to all forms of mass gathering (some of which will be indoors and as I understand it, that is more dangerous) it would be all sport, concerts, parties, discos, supermarket shopping, pubs, restaurants, hotels, conference centres, leisure centres, shopping centres, (factories?) etc etc. That would spell economic disaster for all of those and very probably for the country (and certainly for those employed in those industries) - so those in charge of managing this are going to have a very difficult balancing act over the next 12 months.

I can't see any way that this season will be finished either way. Whether it's cancelled or whether the EFL choose a method of deciding the outcome, I don't see any more game being played this season and I don't think next season will begin on time.

I hope that the measures being taken are adhered to and that, when football starts again in the future, which it will, we can all look back and reflect that whether we get promoted or not really doesn't matter.

I'm not trying to scare monger btw. Just hope that all yellows, blues, greens, whites and reds as well, wherever they may be, get through this and realise that being a supporter of any team is a privilege but that family and friends must come first.

Forget this season, it's done. Look after yourselves and look forward to the good times when this has cleared.

I can't see any way that this season will be finished either way. Whether it's cancelled or whether the EFL choose a method of deciding the outcome, I don't see any more game being played this season and I don't think next season will begin on time.

I hope that the measures being taken are adhered to and that, when football starts again in the future, which it will, we can all look back and reflect that whether we get promoted or not really doesn't matter.

I'm not trying to scare monger btw. Just hope that all yellows, blues, greens, whites and reds as well, wherever they may be, get through this and realise that being a supporter of any team is a privilege but that family and friends must come first.

Forget this season, it's done. Look after yourselves and look forward to the good times when this has cleared.

heard today the prem will be back on soon behind closed doors and sky will be showing a game every day

Good grief the arrogence of the elite league. Thousands of people already gone and all they can think about is games of football. do they not realize and understand that games behind closed doors is a recipe for disaster, we already have people ignoring the advice given so let's just encourage people to congretate together again outside the stadium-in the parks etc shall we.
Idiots and selfish morons the lot of them

Good grief the arrogence of the elite league. Thousands of people already gone and all they can think about is games of football. do they not realize and understand that games behind closed doors is a recipe for disaster, we already have people ignoring the advice given so let's just encourage people to congretate together again outside the stadium-in the parks etc shall we.
Idiots and selfish morons the lot of them
Yes behind closed doors will definitely not happen. Too much call on police to keep fans away, and not a good spectacle for tv

Just finish the season when we can no matter when that is. Just find a way of sorting out players contracts etc. I would rather finish this season than start another one.

No !! We would have entered and won the European Cup Winners Cup. I believe it was renamed the UEFA Cup in the mid nineties. Either way those Scousers deprived us of hell of an adventure. I have a healthy hatred for them ever since (if you haven’t noticed ?)

I must've missed the part where the whole city of Liverpool banned us from Europe. Let's not forget the milk snatcher put in a good word to UEFA to get every English club banned from Europe as a result of what was seen as multiple instances of fan hooliganism, not just related to Heysel.

Back
Top Bottom