How to complete the season

Lets just finish the season in the summer whenever to preserve the integrity and tweak the next season to fit in with a voted on plan

Although unlikely to be chosen, I think this is a good idea.

They could temporarily split the three EFL leagues of 24 into four of 18. This reduces the number of league matches each team plays down to 34 saving about 8 - 10 weeks. The top two in EFL 1 would be promoted to the Premier League, the bottom two in EFL 4 relegated to the National League. The rest are vying for position for season 2021/22, where the allocation of which teams are in which league is based on finishing position. Prizes and money will be award to league winners to give them a further incentive.

As far as The Us goes, if we finish this season in the top twelve, we'd be in EFL 2 along with the bottom six from the Championship. Hoping then to get in the top six at the end of the 2020/21 season for a place in the championship.

I think that given what is going on in the world, the total unprecedented nature of it all and the mass threat to life, any club that tries to sue based on the decision of what to do with this season will likely have their case thrown out straight away. I have a feeling the courts will look everyone and anyone in the eye and essentially tell them to wind it in and shut up. These aren’t normal times - I think the chances of people successfully kicking off if the season is declared void are slim at best.

i'll stay with my original thought, promote those already in the Automatic places, scrap the play off and adjust relegation accordingly...as things stand only Aston Villa are affected across the main leagues. seems simple to me.

Nope, promote the Auto`s + 1, scrap relegation but declare the actual season null and void, that way the Whining Scouse Red Filth get pay back and something to whine about for the next 30 years......... and carry over any punishments for cheating such as Bolton etc. :) (y)

Between the two, I’d rather cancel next season, over this one. This season has already mostly been done, blood, sweat and tears have been put into it.

If football isn’t possible this year, then fine. Assuming all is a bit more normal this coming January, resume this season then...

There is no way this season won’t be completed even if it’s goes past August next season could begin in January to October it’s not ideal but that was what they were saying on the debate last night because if they just finish it how it stands clubs will take the fa to court for loss of income

There is no way this season won’t be completed even if it’s goes past August next season could begin in January to October it’s not ideal but that was what they were saying on the debate last night because if they just finish it how it stands clubs will take the fa to court for loss of income

I’d suggest that phrases such as “no way” are rather redundant at this stage. We are in completely unprecedented times, so to suggest anything is definitely going to happen (or not happen) is for the birds, frankly.

I’d suggest that phrases such as “no way” are rather redundant at this stage. We are in completely unprecedented times, so to suggest anything is definitely going to happen (or not happen) is for the birds, frankly.

It annoys me in general when people do this. ‘X won’t happen.’ ‘X will take place.’ Always comes across smug, like they somehow have a higher level of knowledge than the rest of us. I much prefer a ‘in my opinion, X’ or ‘I think X won’t happen’

just a quote from Shaun Harvey who I should imagine knows a bit more than you currently imo

It seems so obvious to me to not scrap this season, but the 20/21 season. Finish the remaining games of this season, in the "20/21 season."

I think that given what is going on in the world, the total unprecedented nature of it all and the mass threat to life, any club that tries to sue based on the decision of what to do with this season will likely have their case thrown out straight away. I have a feeling the courts will look everyone and anyone in the eye and essentially tell them to wind it in and shut up. These aren’t normal times - I think the chances of people successfully kicking off if the season is declared void are slim at best.
I would bet that some will try and sue.
I expect that is why there is discussion of Leeds/ WBA being promoted and none bring relegated next season. To avoid the suing.
Courts are not able to ignore the law due to even this crisis

It seems so obvious to me to not scrap this season, but the 20/21 season. Finish the remaining games of this season, in the "20/21 season."
It may seem obvious but financially this wont work for the clubs.
Most rely on ST income.
Writing off the whole if next season would simply not be viable financially.

Haven't read all this thread but here goes with my thoughts. It kind of follows what was discussed with RadOx at the weekend and what the T'Manor podcast fellas discussed too.

With the Euros now suspended for a year that does help in freeing up the summer. What the football authorities need to do now is have a set of preliminary dates and requirements in place that would see the resumption of the remaining games if safe to go ahead. Hey, if the Nations League can be worked out based on weird coefficients, so can this! The key is trying to ensure that the rules remain the same as when each tournament started. If its set in stone and everyone is agreement, we can all be happy with whatever the outcome is.

• If football begins again in April, finish the season by the usual dates playing Sat-Tues games. 2020-21 continues as normal.
  • If football begins in May, finish the season using the additional time in June but agree that no playoffs should be played. Top three in the EFL divisions get promoted. 2020-21 continues as normal, but with an extended summer transfer window. Consider scrapping the EFL Cup and EFL Trophy (or straight knockout version) to ensure players aren't overloaded.
  • If football does not begin before the end of May but does have enough weeks to finish the season within 2020, ' Operation Short 2020-21' season begins. The 2019-20 is finished by end of the year 2020 and any remaining weeks are used to sign new players, prep for the new half season. New half-season begins to run January-May where the divisions are contested by each team only playing each other once, either home or away depending on a random computer draw. Cups suspended for the season or consider a knockout PL/Champ Trophy and a knockout L1/L2 Trophy as a means to keep the season alive for the also rans. Reduce the number of promotion/relegation places across the PL and EFL but consider a relegation playoff for each division.
  • If football does not begin again by end of 2020, scrap the 2020-21 season altogether. Finish the 2019-20 season. If time, in the PL and EFL introduce a localised to each division Nations League-style tournament of six teams each. Eg, Oxford, MK Dons, Wycombe, Wimbledon, Gillingham and Portsmouth play each other once or twice depending on time. Winner of the mini-league moves forward to the division's semi-finals and final. It would add a bit of meaning to a bad situation and allow clubs to at least run some matches (c. minimum of 5 matches and a max of 14 per club).
Christ knows how European qualification works or how the Champions League comes into it. Meh - UEFA can work that one out ...

As for contracts, the authorities should put a measure in place for players in that whoever you were contracted too at the point when all games were stopped, you remain with them on the same terms until the finish of the 2019-20 season whenever that may be if your contract is due to finish in the summer of 2020. No player trading is allowed until the end of 2019-20.

Sorted.

Last edited:
I would bet that some will try and sue.
I expect that is why there is discussion of Leeds/ WBA being promoted and none bring relegated next season. To avoid the suing.
Courts are not able to ignore the law due to even this crisis
Unless laws are changed.

Also there is probably all sorts of small print about the decisions of the PL and EFL committees being final
Yep. A club can bring any action they like - the judge will sit there and to “Okay, can you show me the law that has been broken, or a direct precedent that supports your case?”

In order for the law to stand it needs to be proven that one has been broken. Good luck with that to anybody who wants to try it.

Yep. A club can bring any action they like - the judge will sit there and to “Okay, can you show me the law that has been broken, or a direct precedent that supports your case?”

In order for the law to stand it needs to be proven that one has been broken. Good luck with that to anybody who wants to try it.

Before that happens it will go through various courts for years, lawyers will get rich from this situation, the only people who prosper from anything and everything.

Back
Top Bottom