How to complete the season

Plus of course, the broadcasters are losing out on subscriptions as people have cancelled or paused, and are concerned that if it goes on too long, people will find other ways to spend their money when they release they coped find without football on Sky
From BBC

"He said there are "four big legal issues" which would involve broadcasters, sponsors, clubs and individual players.

Those could include disputes over value for money if the season is not completed, as well as disagreements over who is awarded the title, who is relegated and who is promoted."

Finally got round to drawing up the complete table of what League One will look like if they decide final standings based on PPG for home and away games (which if they go down the PPG route is absolutely what they will do).

H PlayedH PointsA PlayedA PointsOverall PPG
1Coventry173817291.9706
2Rotherham172918331.7696
3Oxford173618241.7255
4Fleetwood183717231.7042
5Peterborough173918201.7026
6Wycombe184216171.6979
7Portsmouth184217181.6961
8Sunderland193817211.6176
9Doncaster193515191.5544
10Gillingham173018211.4657
11Ipswich172319291.4396
12Burton172618221.3758
13Blackpool172918161.2974
14Bristol Rovers182717181.2794
15Lincoln17331891.2206
16Shrewsbury172317181.2059
17Accrington172318171.1487
18Rochdale161918171.0660
19MK Dons18281791.0425
20AFC Wimbledon182417110.9902
21Tranmere171517170.9412
22Bolton17201760.7647
23Southend17101890.5441

London Roader - my expectations are quite ordinary. What I believe is that football and other non essential activities should be rewarded in a suitable manner. The idea that any Elite footballer gets more money than a brain surgeon or that any lower league footballer gets a salary that dwarfs an NHS nurse is quite frankly bat s**t crazy! I think we have been brainfucked in to accepting it. It just takes people to make a stand and dictate that its no longer acceptable. I don't want to see anyone go without, But most of all I can't bear to see those who have looked after my family in the last few months to be paid what they are being paid. Its taken a pandemic to make me realise what is right and what is wrong. I will campaign accordingly in the future.
Yes, society has evolved to richly reward the entertainment business in most forms, I agree it's got disproportionate to the "normal" persons finances, how do you change that is going to be the issue, this pandemic could change the future financial landscape for a few years to come and how that pans out in football as well as many other entertainment businesses will be interesting.
One of my issues is as you say in reference to high wages etc of football clubs, most clubs run debt, some massive debt, but the wages etc still stay high. that to me is not a long term sustainable business model, its more of a train set mentality then pass it on to the next person who wants to "lose" some money.

If Ruffles han't got the winner at Shrewsbury I am guessing we wouldhave finished below 3rd in the PPG table.

It wont happen anyway. There’ll be 5 clubs, currently sat between 4th and 8th place, who’ll be straight on the phone to their legal teams.

It wont happen anyway. There’ll be 5 clubs, currently sat between 4th and 8th place, who’ll be straight on the phone to their legal teams.

It’s probably why they are so insistent on trying to finish a season that has run out of time with teams having 9/10 games to go. They will get teams try it on come whatever, this was footballs perfect storm nightmare, no solution works.

For what my opinion is worth it would be such a hollow promotion that the only team who would take any pleasure from it are the complete nonentities from High Wycombe, they have no worthwhile history, were never going to go up if this season played out properly as their anti football had been found out, imagine if getting promoted like this was the greatest achievement in your clubs history?

This is why I think they'd be wise to just keep it to auto places to go up. In general a team in the auto spots at this stage is more likely to go up than not, a team in the playoff spots (even third) isn't, so have fewer grounds to complain than the auto people, especially if you remove the third promo spot completely.

This is why I think they'd be wise to just keep it to auto places to go up. In general a team in the auto spots at this stage is more likely to go up than not, a team in the playoff spots (even third) isn't, so have fewer grounds to complain than the auto people, especially if you remove the third promo spot completely.

Also they can use the argument that coming third down is not a promotion spot, it’s qualifying for the play offs. Cancel relegation and run with bigger leagues for one season and it might stop legal issues maybe?

Does nothing to solve the problems of actually getting games on next season of course but at least it ends this one and let’s them move onto the most important fact of having to try and come up with something to sell next season and stop clubs going bankrupt.

Not necessarily Rotherham could lose a game we win out taking games Wycombe lose a game then we would go up so tbh automatics to go up as things stand would be unfair so legal action would take place as 71 EFL clubs wouldn’t vote to ratify that solution

Not necessarily Rotherham could lose a game we win out taking games Wycombe lose a game then we would go up so tbh automatics to go up as things stand would be unfair so legal action would take place as 71 EFL clubs wouldn’t vote to ratify that solution
Its true we seemed to be hitting form just at the right time and getting numbers back fit again. We were closing in ominously on the top two. Ive got a gut feeling we would've been celebrating today. All ifs and buts now unfortunately..

Back
Top Bottom