General How good are our players?

Foley

So looking back to MAPPs team, Lundstrom and Baldock are regulars in the PL and O'Dowda, Johnson, Ledson, Rothwell, Dunkley play in the Championship (Roofe inexplicably went to Belgium)

What about this team/ squad? Brannagan, Dickie, Baptiste, Fosu, Lopes, Spasov, Jones? Where could they end up (Whyte and Nelson have already gone to the Championship)

So looking back to MAPPs team, Lundstrom and Baldock are regulars in the PL and O'Dowda, Johnson, Ledson, Rothwell, Dunkley play in the Championship (Roofe inexplicably went to Belgium)

What about this team/ squad? Brannagan, Dickie, Baptiste, Fosu, Lopes, Spasov, Jones? Where could they end up (Whyte and Nelson have already gone to the Championship)

Can't make a judgement too much for our youth players just yet, have to see where they are once they've locked down starting places in the first team.

But I'd say:

PL League potential - Baptiste, Brannagan
Upper Championship Level - Cadden, Dickie, Fosu, Woodburn
Lower Championship Level - Gorrin, Eastwood, Henry, Sykes, Taylor

Think it's easier to point out who may not be able to play above league one.

Long,Ruffels,Mousinho,Hanson and Mackie

Are the only ones who may struggle to adjust to the pace of the game at the level above.

Saying that Sam Long has pocketed 3 players in the last 2 seasons in the carabao cup with a combined total of 120+ million. So he could do well.

This side is good but it doesn't compete with the Mapp team- Baldock, Roofe, O'Dowda, Dunkley, Lundstram, Ledson all probably getting into this side.

Not to say this one isn't very good but Fosu, Brannagan and Baptiste are the only real three who are as exciting as any of the above in terms of potential.

If we made it to the Championship with this team we would be after new side backs, a new winger, a 10, a striker, a DM to really compete I think.

This side is good but it doesn't compete with the Mapp team- Baldock, Roofe, O'Dowda, Dunkley, Lundstram, Ledson all probably getting into this side.

Not to say this one isn't very good but Fosu, Brannagan and Baptiste are the only real three who are as exciting as any of the above in terms of potential.

If we made it to the Championship with this team we would be after new side backs, a new winger, a 10, a striker, a DM to really compete I think.
I think there's argument to be made that when everyone is fit we have a stronger squad than Mapp had particularly when you add to that the academy prospects.

We are playing at a higher level. Ledson would not be in this side in my view and ODowda only played in half of the games in the MAPP side.

We are playing at a higher level. Ledson would not be in this side in my view and ODowda only played in half of the games in the MAPP side.

which was often a 30 min cameo off the bench

I’m pretty sure Ledson would get into this side, let’s not forget he’s playing in the Championship now. Fans are pretty fickle and only want to support current players which is understandable, but Ledson was one of our best midfielders and was loved when he was here. I’d love to see him in this team ratting around with Brannigan.

How much are we thinking are assets are worth atm? Personally still think gavin went cheap in the grand scheme of things. Dickie being a centre back probably 1.5million Fosu as he is just coming into form was hit and miss at Charlton probably a million Shandon full off potential 3-4 million Brannagan has to be 5+ if we’re being real one will probably go in January and I personally expect that to be Brannagan. If it is I have no panic as the owner has shown he has no problems re investing a proportion of the money and knowing are recruitment team they will probably already have a plan in place to replace him with another super talented player who has somehow gone under the radar at a academy. We are showing what a great opportunity it is for young talented players to show how good they are and to make a name for themselves this club is. Like i said I expect us to sell a player but if the owners want the attendances to increase and want to challenge this season for promotion they really need to makesure it’s just the one player in January and also have a solid replacement in place

Fair enough- but keep in mind all of those players were in League Two and now are all decent Championship (even 2 PL!) players. So they were all playing well below their potential level. I don't think this squad are capable of making the same jumps- so less potential.

A game between the two whilst both in form and would be nearly impossible to call in my book.

And it's really nice everyone rating this team so highly, they're in excellent form. I think we can have this conversation in earnest at the end of the season- Mapp's team did it over the whole season and turned over prem teams in the cup. Let's hope this one can.

I’m pretty sure Ledson would get into this side, let’s not forget he’s playing in the Championship now. Fans are pretty fickle and only want to support current players which is understandable, but Ledson was one of our best midfielders and was loved when he was here. I’d love to see him in this team ratting around with Brannigan.
I think that Lundstram would be in the team but Brannagan ahead of Ledson.
Lunstram has done better than I thought and it's great that he has.
I suspect that Brannagan will play higher than Ledson but let's see

And it's really nice everyone rating this team so highly, they're in excellent form. I think we can have this conversation in earnest at the end of the season- Mapp's team did it over the whole season and turned over prem teams in the cup. Let's hope this one can.
I think that regardless of how the team do Brannagan, Baptiste, Dickie will play at a much higher level.
It will be interesting to see who gets the highest.

Eastwood
Baldock Dickie Dunkley Ruffels
Baptiste Lundstram Brannagan
Fosu Roofe COD

Subs: Stevens, Kenny, Wright, Sercombe, Maguire, Henry, Taylor
Announce promotion.

EDIT: Had to take Ledson out as he wasn’t around for promotion - keep forgetting he only joined in the summer after.

Last edited:
Take my money. (Also, get Whyte in there somewhere)
I left Whyte out because I was going solely on this season’s squad and the promotion season’s squad, and Whyte was gone by the time we kicked off at Sunderland. Although it’s deeply upset me that I can’t find a place for Hylton.

I think that Lundstram would be in the team but Brannagan ahead of Ledson.
Lunstram has done better than I thought and it's great that he has.
I suspect that Brannagan will play higher than Ledson but let's see

Agree, Ledson was very good, but I think Brannagan's a better player.

In fact, I don't think there's much to separate Brannagan & Lundstram - other than goals (Lunny only scored one all season in his lone League One campaign with us). Reckon it's reasonable to believe that Brannagan could play in the Premier League.

Baptiste is less consistent, but on his good days, he's every bit as good.

Dickie is really developing into an outstanding CB, and he's still only 23, which is young for that position. I'd say the ceiling for him is the PL as well.

Back
Top Bottom