General How good are our players?

If we sold Brannagan I would replace with Maddison from the posh if we could afford him

In my opinion this current team is better. Playing a league higher for starters and we aren’t just making the numbers up, we are more than holding our own and it’s hard to imagine there are too many better footballing sides than us in L1. Remember the L2 promotion side only came runners up to Northampton, this side would p*ss that league.

It’s hard to argue against current PL players like Lundstram and Baldock and more from the Appleton team might even make up more of a best 11 in many eyes but for pure over all, back to front, ability this team has the edge.

My eleven would be ....

Eastwood - Easy decision.
Baldock - Cadden is pushing him hard but for now it’s Baldock.
Dickie - His ability on the ball gives him the edge over some strong competition.
Wright - Gone with my heart. Loved his commitment.
Ruffels - Fantastic professional and as consistent as they come.
Lundstram - Made us tick. Great energy and range of passing.
Brannagan - Can’t ignore him after the way he’s started this season.
Henry - I loved Maguire but the goal stats don’t lie.
Whyte - Quick. direct and exciting.
Roofe - The full array of goals and a born match winner.
Johnson - See Wright in reverse. Can’t ignore his talent though.

Subs
Buchel - Decent keeper with good experience.
Nelson - Toss up with Dunkley but liked the respect he showed us.
Rothwell - I always felt he was a bit under rated here.
Sercombe - Got a goal in him.
Maguire - Silky footballer and great to watch his antics.
Cadden - Can cover full back and midfield positions.
Macdonald - Work rate and potential link up with Baldock edges out O’Dowda in a sub role.

This side is good but it doesn't compete with the Mapp team- Baldock, Roofe, O'Dowda, Dunkley, Lundstram, Ledson all probably getting into this side.

Not to say this one isn't very good but Fosu, Brannagan and Baptiste are the only real three who are as exciting as any of the above in terms of potential.

If we made it to the Championship with this team we would be after new side backs, a new winger, a 10, a striker, a DM to really compete I think.

In my opinion, Dunkley wouldn't get in this side. I appreciate that he went up with Wigan and played in the Championship but I don't think he was ever really outstanding for us.

Ledson, a good player, but I wouldn't pick him ahead of Brannagan or Gorrin. O'Dowda too was a bit hit and miss, and whilst he had huge potential I would think that Fosu would give him a run for his money.

But some players get the opportunity to play at a high level and do well, whilst others may be better players but things never work out. Sam Ricketts went on to have a great career, but wasn't in the same league as Jamie Cook who could have played at the very top. It's often as much about luck and opportunity than raw talent, but there's no doubting that we have some very special players at the club right now regardless of how their careers pan out.

In my opinion, Dunkley wouldn't get in this side. I appreciate that he went up with Wigan and played in the Championship but I don't think he was ever really outstanding for us.

Ledson, a good player, but I wouldn't pick him ahead of Brannagan or Gorrin. O'Dowda too was a bit hit and miss, and whilst he had huge potential I would think that Fosu would give him a run for his money.

But some players get the opportunity to play at a high level and do well, whilst others may be better players but things never work out. Sam Ricketts went on to have a great career, but wasn't in the same league as Jamie Cook who could have played at the very top. It's often as much about luck and opportunity than raw talent, but there's no doubting that we have some very special players at the club right now regardless of how their careers pan out.

Jamie Cook !!!!!! Or do you mean Jamie Brooks ?

You are joking if you think he (Cook) had the talent to play ‘at the very top’. Although Cook and Ricketts played in different positions and weren’t like for like footballers I’d say Ricketts was a far better player. Cook was what he was - a bang average lower league footballer. Jamie Brooks, now there is a lad who could have gone on to have a very successful career. Not sure he could have reached the very top but could have potentially matched Beauchamp in the talent stakes.

You are joking if you think he (Cook) had the talent to play ‘at the very top’. Although Cook and Ricketts played in different positions and weren’t like for like footballers I’d say Ricketts was a far better player. Cook was what he was - a bang average lower league footballer. Jamie Brooks, now there is a lad who could have gone on to have a very successful career. Not sure he could have reached the very top but could have potentially matched Beauchamp in the talent stakes.
Indeed Brooks!

Beauchamp could have made the very top. He cound have gone on to play for England.
Brooks looked a great talent but he has only played one season in L2 before he was struck by that awfull illness.

Lovely little trip down (very recent) memory lane this thread. Some of the XIs being suggested are just mouthwatering.

Back
Top Bottom