How comes?

pooshooter

In men's game goalkeeper can move about for a penalty but in women's game they don't. Asking for a friend?

I think that in.voth you cant move off your line.
I think that is the same rule in both.

Yes, you aren't supposed to move off the line before the ball is kicked in either. They are using the infernal VAR to check that.
I think the 'not allowed to to jump up and down or wave your arms about' ruling is a new one though. I don't know why they don't just get rid of the goal keeper altogether :sick:

It is the same for both. The womens game is the first to use var to implement the new laws. Stupid professional players who obviously haven't read the laws.

Yes, you aren't supposed to move off the line before the ball is kicked in either. They are using the infernal VAR to check that.
I think the 'not allowed to to jump up and down or wave your arms about' ruling is a new one though. I don't know why they don't just get rid of the goal keeper altogether :sick:
Maybe instead of the keeper have the defender who committed the foul stood on the line, because then we can have more time wasted deciding whether anything they did stop was chest or arm and whether the arms were in the right place and whether the fingernails were regulation length and whether and whether and whether etc etc ad infinitum

It is the same for both. The womens game is the first to use var to implement the new laws. Stupid professional players who obviously haven't read the laws.
They have read the rules, but are just using the previous, sane, interpretation rather than the lets see how much enjoyment we can take out of the game by getting it clinically right but spiritually wrong

Or just stand there and when a penalty gets banged down the middle, just let it go in? Seems to be what the scottish keeper did when it was retaken. Embarrassing.

The way this is being forced down our throats by the BBC and the media is bad but when they try and conjure arguments for equal pay, based on that standard of play, it's borderline insanity.

Last edited:
The law has changed and applies all competitions starting after 1st June '19:

Penalty Kick - Law 14
Changes
  • The team’s penalty taker can have (quick) treatment/assessment and then take the kick
  • The goalkeeper must not be touching the goalposts/crossbar/nets; they must not be moving
  • The goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot on/in line with the goal line when the kick is taken; cannot stand behind the line

Explanation
  • It is unfair if the kicker needs assessment/treatment and then has to leave the field and cannot take the penalty kick.
  • The referee must not signal for the penalty kick to be taken if the goalkeeper is touching the goalposts, crossbar or net, or if they are moving e.g. the goalkeeper has kicked/shaken them
  • Goalkeepers are not permitted to stand in front of or behind the line. Allowing the goalkeeper to have only one foot touching the goal line (or, if jumping, in line with the goal line) when the penalty kick is taken is a more practical approach as it is easier to identify if both feet are not on the line. As the kicker can ‘stutter’ in the run, it is reasonable that the goalkeeper can take one step in anticipation of the kick.

Or just stand there and when a penalty gets banged down the middle, just let it go in? Seems to be what the scottish keeper did when it was retaken. Embarrassing.

The way this is being forced down our throats by the BBC and the media is bad but when they try and conjure arguments for equal pay, based on that standard of play, it's borderline insanity.
Completely agree with this. I have tried to get into this tournament but can't. There are dozens of items on the BBC website and I get the feeling that they are trying too hard. The only advantage to this information overload is it keeps the premier league news down the pecking order.

What the rule fails to comprehend is when the penalty taker misses, the rules allow an infringement by the keeper to provide another chance for the taker to correct themselves. A miss should be a miss. End of.

What the rule fails to comprehend is when the penalty taker misses, the rules allow an infringement by the keeper to provide another chance for the taker to correct themselves. A miss should be a miss. End of.
A very, very minor infringement it seems , if WWC (mis)use of VAR when pens are being taken is any indication

once VAR has awarded a pen, shouldnt any decisions re keeper infringements etc be for the referee to make?

Completely agree with this. I have tried to get into this tournament but can't. There are dozens of items on the BBC website and I get the feeling that they are trying too hard. The only advantage to this information overload is it keeps the premier league news down the pecking order.

Its the BBC so if it serves some form of agenda then it's no wonder they are fully behind it. The over inflated sense of entitlement from some of the players and coaching staff is laughable and quite frankly, groundless. The womens game simply couldn't function without the commercial success of the mens game so to hear the calls of equality and equal pay is PC gone mad.

I read an article in which a current womens team manager said that "managing in the mens game isn't necessarily a step up" - Are you having a laugh?

As the kicker can ‘stutter’ in the run, it is reasonable that the goalkeeper can take one step in anticipation of the kick.
Is that only if the kicker stutters? What counts as a stutter? What counts as 'one step'?

Fortunately the PL have announced that VAR will not be used for this purpose next season, so thank F for that

Is that only if the kicker stutters? What counts as a stutter? What counts as 'one step'?

Fortunately the PL have announced that VAR will not be used for this purpose next season, so thank F for that
No, the new law is at least part of one foot on/in line with the goal line.
As I understand it, the 'kicker stutter' bit is just IFAB's attempt to explain their reasoning behind the new law.

Its the BBC so if it serves some form of agenda then it's no wonder they are fully behind it. The over inflated sense of entitlement from some of the players and coaching staff is laughable and quite frankly, groundless. The womens game simply couldn't function without the commercial success of the mens game so to hear the calls of equality and equal pay is PC gone mad.

I read an article in which a current womens team manager said that "managing in the mens game isn't necessarily a step up" - Are you having a laugh?

With all due respect. In regard to the BBC force feeding, you can chose or not to watch/read articles. It is a public service broadcaster. All kinds of things ranging from cooking shows, BBC 6 music and art shows are not watched by the majority, it's there to serve everyone. The womens game is the fastest growing participation sport for females in this country. Women make up half of our population. Female sport has been massively neglected in this country with research showing young girls are far less likely to engage in sport than boys and missing out on the lifelong health benefits this brings. The womens game having been neglected means it is starting from a backwards position compared to the men. However, we owe it to every young girl in this country to try and grow womens sport.

With all due respect. In regard to the BBC force feeding, you can chose or not to watch/read articles. It is a public service broadcaster. All kinds of things ranging from cooking shows, BBC 6 music and art shows are not watched by the majority, it's there to serve everyone. The womens game is the fastest growing participation sport for females in this country. Women make up half of our population. Female sport has been massively neglected in this country with research showing young girls are far less likely to engage in sport than boys and missing out on the lifelong health benefits this brings. The womens game having been neglected means it is starting from a backwards position compared to the men. However, we owe it to every young girl in this country to try and grow womens sport.

14 articles on the football news front page is force feeding. Female players commentating on the mens game is force feeding. Female players being pundits for mens games on Sky Sports is force feeding. There is a clear anti-male agenda at hand in society right now and it's now being ploughed into football on a daily basis. I may be wrong but that's my opinion.

I choose to read mens football news because that is my preference. However, there is such a thing as over-exposure and this is most definitely the case right now, with the womens world cup. I disagree with your comment about female sport being massively neglected because if you look at the success of our Olympians, the majority are female. Women are massively successful in other sports. I get your point about health benefits and that is the same for either gender and sport should be accessible for everyone. They (BBC/Media etc) are selling womens football as something it isn't and that is actually counter-productive to the cause.

I'm all for growth but I'm also all for realism. I'm also all for equality but it appears that cannot happen without it being at the detriment of men...

One minute fans want consistency another they don't want the Laws (they are NOT rules!) enforced. Referees really cannot win and I used to be one. If you don't like the law then change it but none of this subjective B*****s like the hand ball law (you can see how we effectively have two games the english one and a champions league game). The good thing about requiring one foot on the line is it is absolutely objective. Scotland cannot argue the keeper didn't commit an offence the photographic evidence proves it and hopefully the players will see they cannot take the P**s and behave accordingly. And lets start penalising encroachment too and yellow carding all descent it will be a shock as a few games end up 8v8 and penalties might need to be taken a few times but they will soon get the idea.

14 articles on the football news front page is force feeding. Female players commentating on the mens game is force feeding. Female players being pundits for mens games on Sky Sports is force feeding. There is a clear anti-male agenda at hand in society right now and it's now being ploughed into football on a daily basis. I may be wrong but that's my opinion.

I choose to read mens football news because that is my preference. However, there is such a thing as over-exposure and this is most definitely the case right now, with the womens world cup. I disagree with your comment about female sport being massively neglected because if you look at the success of our Olympians, the majority are female. Women are massively successful in other sports. I get your point about health benefits and that is the same for either gender and sport should be accessible for everyone. They (BBC/Media etc) are selling womens football as something it isn't and that is actually counter-productive to the cause.

I'm all for growth but I'm also all for realism. I'm also all for equality but it appears that cannot happen without it being at the detriment of men...

Oh come on.

It's the Women's World Cup. The pinnacle of women's football every four years. And it's being played at a time when there's no senior men's football going on this side of Egypt and precious little in the way of interesting transfer activity. Everyone's on their holidays.

One month every four years women's football dominates the BBC football news; 47 months every four years men's football dominates the BBC football news. And you're complaining that the women's game is getting too much exposure?!?

Back
Top Bottom