National News Honda set to close Swindon manufacturing plant

• Thread starter Deleted member 142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 142

Various news outlets are reporting that Honda will announce tomorrow that it will close the Swindon plant in 2022.

3500 jobs at risk - that's such a blow for the direct workforce and those working in the extended supply chain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually I'd have some sympathy for this type of story but it's Swindon so f*ck 'em.

It'll be more than 3500 jobs, many more in the supply chain will go.

A number of Oxford people (from pressed steel ...I think) moved workplace from cowley Oxford to honda in Swndn some years ago. The honda factory announcing its moving out of Swndn in 2021 is catastrophic for emploment opportunities in both Oxford, Swndn and beyond, with smaller localish supplies also going to be affected too?

Perhaps the soon to be announcement of the construction of a new home for OUFC along with surrounding infastructure will provide some employment opportunities? Sadly as things stand that particular option coming to fruition doesnt appear very likely as things stand currently

Last edited:
So does anyone think BMW in Cowley will go the same way?

Usually I'd have some sympathy for this type of story but it's Swindon so f*ck 'em.
Anyone who loses their job because of companies closing down or moving their operation putting people out of work whether it be 35 or 350 or 3,500 is nothing to be chuffed with it don’t really matter whether they’re from Swindon , Oxford, Reading, or
Where ever they have families, bills, mortgages it could be you tomorrow.

From The Times: "Ian Howells, senior vice-president for Honda in Europe, said that as well as the 3,500 jobs affected in Swindon, a further 3,500 people “working in affiliates primarily supplying Honda” in the UK could be hit. "

So does anyone think BMW in Cowley will go the same way?

Let’s hope not that would be catastrophic.
Cowley will be producing the electric mini I think so that should put the plant in a good position.
I hope the politicians agree on a withdrawal deal and negotiate a favourable trade deal going forward.

Back
Top Bottom