National News Honda set to close Swindon manufacturing plant

• Thread starter Deleted member 142
  • Start date
What an utterly ridiculous and stupid reply. Think about all the families impacted by this and the wider implications. I'm embarrassed as an Oxford fan to read your words.

Blimey - lighten up, it was firmly tongue in cheek. Geez, please don't be embarrassed on my behalf.

Whingit said:

It's what the area voted for.

What? For thousands of people to lose their source of income?

Directly, no of course they didn't. BUT people voted for a change to the status quo. This occurred on a national basis, in Swindon and in many other areas including (unbelievably imho) South Wales who receive enormous net subsidies from the EU. People had a wide spectrum of reasons for doing so but when you vote for change, it is in the hope of there being a benefit but usually there is the equivalent risk element.

The Governor of the Bank of England and many influential business leaders warned in the run-up to the vote that a 'Leave' vote could have a serious impact on the economy. It was up to each voter to weigh these opinions up with those of others put forward and consider how important this was to them in conjunction with the other key features of the vote e.g. immigration impact.

You can argue that the Government have negotiated badly but that was always a risk. Personally I never thought the EU would give much ground - why would they as this would give France, Germany and the like the excuse to demand more from the EU for their continued membership or threaten to leave with the 'nice UK package'. There may well be a longer term benefit to Brexit when we look back in 10 years' time but right now, the economy looks like it will suffer and people can not say they weren't warned and any competent individual when voting should be able to understand that changing the status quo has a risk/reward balance and you can't guarantee that the reward part will be the greater.

Honda's decision is based on their forecast of the economic consequences of the move to low emission cars and the ultimate demise of the internal combustion engine upon their company, just like Nissan.

In other words, they would have closed Swindon at some point even if the Brexit fiasco had never happened - at least Honda told it like it is and didn't hide behind "the uncertainty of leaving the EU".

BMW have played it right. If we stay in, they have a car plant to build the electric Mini for the EU. If we leave, they have a car plant to build the electric Mini for the UK. Damn clever, these Germans......

If we leave "no deal" you can probably put your house on it.

What an utterly ridiculous and stupid reply. Think about all the families impacted by this and the wider implications. I'm embarrassed as an Oxford fan to read your words.

I’m even more embarrassed. Sw*ndon are my “second team”.

Back
Top Bottom