Matches Homophobic chanting

Thanks Tom for both your courage and your eloquent post which hopefully reminds everyone that these words impact many folk including plenty of our own fans who may be gay and sat amongst us having to listen to it.

Wider question to everyone as I wasn’t there and it still doesn’t seem clear to me.

Was this 5/6 individuals shouting stuff or a larger section of the support chanting? Just trying to understand the scale of the problem yesterday.

It was a small group behind the goal trying to start an explicitly homophobic chant as described elsewhere here. Moronic. Was a bit far away to see individuals but seemed to be older blokes. It didn't spread wider but was plenty loud enough for their keeper to hear and credit to him for alerting the ref. Also to the ref for the way he handled it. Disgraceful.

On top of that there was the usual handful of middle aged, red faced, man-children screaming unimaginative and vile personal abuse at players. Depressing. Personified at the end by the 50-something chap who interrupted our amused ribbing of their firework display with a witty "f**k off you f***ing c*** you're f***ing s**t you c**t" at their centre back as he came to collect his water bottle from behind the goal. Gnarled face full of joyless hate. Sigh.

The youngsters high up behind the goal are bringing some decent noise these days and it's good to see and hear but, as others have mentioned, some of the songsheet is pretty tedious or unnecessarily personal, especially when repeated endlessly. The 'pineapple on his head' chant is just not on lads, look up Baddiel & Skinner's apologies on starting that one if you need the history.

There was also some stupid but isolated chair-breaking and embarrassing scuffling on the road out from the nippers in their peaky blinders caps.

Adding my voice to (most) on here to support our LGBTQ+ fans and to apologise for you having to experience this crap. Also reflecting on whether I've been too passive down the years and yesterday in not doing enough to personally challenge idiots around me.

Last edited:
Unacceptable on all levels, but solely from an Oxford point of view, when fans start questioning whether to attend games for fear of what they might hear something is seriously wrong. Needs to be sorted out ASAP, and to be fair, credit to Stockdale for pointing it out to the ref.
And, of course, my support as well to those affected.

One of our ‘fans’ deliberately barged into me on the walk to the ground and said ‘you’ve sold your car park, well done’. I unzipped my coat to show him an Oxford training top and told him to f**k off. I’m 6 foot and keep myself in good shape so can handle this sort of nonsense but why should I (or anyone else who may be more worried by such a challenge) have to?

I sort of get the points you’re making but I do think gay people make such a noise about their sexuality. Sexuality isn’t a case of pride, I don’t ever think ‘I’m proud to be heterosexual’ but I hear the gay community often using the ‘proud to be gay‘ tag. Great, good for you, but why does the rest of the world need to know your intimate preferences ? I couldn’t care less what anyone else is but there’s this insatiable desire by gay people to let us know what they are.

I asked my daughter and her boyfriend where they were going out the other night and I got told ‘A coming out party’. Really ? I genuinely thought they were taking the p*ss with this. They weren’t.
Proud... you bet I am, as I've stated many times before on here . I am transgender and I don't care how much you feel it's ' ramed down your throat ' I have suffered all forms of abuse from being spat at and including physical violence. And I will keep shouting until I can walk down the street or go to a football match just the same as you until discrimination of any kind stops.
The pink shirts that the guys on here are all saying they have in their wardrobe. Do you know that there is Oxford United supporter amongst us thinks any 'man' (his word not mine)that dresses in women's clothing or wears pink clothing is a danger to women and children.
Do you you know I as someone who is transgender can be treated to electric shock treatment to ' cure ' me
This is the kind of rubbish we within the LGBTQ+ Community have to put up with on a daily basis .
You bet I'm proud

Proud... you bet I am, as I've stated many times before on here . I am transgender and I don't care how much you feel it's ' ramed down your throat ' I have suffered all forms of abuse from being spat at and including physical violence. And I will keep shouting until I can walk down the street or go to a football match just the same as you until discrimination of any kind stops.
The pink shirts that the guys on here are all saying they have in their wardrobe. Do you know that there is Oxford United supporter amongst us thinks any 'man' (his word not mine)that dresses in women's clothing or wears pink clothing is a danger to women and children.
Do you you know I as someone who is transgender can be treated to electric shock treatment to ' cure ' me
This is the kind of rubbish we within the LGBTQ+ Community have to put up with on a daily basis .
You bet I'm proud
Well said.
One of the things I'm looking forward to with the new stadium is a proper supporters club. A place where we can all say, meet up at the bar, I'm buying. Regardless of orientation we'll be toasting each other and the looking forward to the game ahead. Post match we'll meet up again and either commiserate or celebrate, however we feel like and without anyone getting their knickers (or other under attire) in a twist! Cheers!

There was a tiny sub-story in the mix of all of this that was positive...

The Oxford fans were singing loud all match. However, when the lazy unacceptable chant about wearing pink began, the crowd (correctly) didn't join in with that song. A massive sense of wrong had immediately circulated around the terrace.

Further to this small ray of light, a number of loud responses back to the culprit of "there's nothing wrong with that!" from our fan base voicing their displeasure.

The individual who had started this lazy ugly chant immediately stopped. I'm guessing that he felt embarrassed and apologetic (I draw this conclusion by the fact the incident came and went in instant and was not repeated).

In that moment, before Stockdale had gone to the referee, I had found myself positive that things have clearly improved on the terraces and a line has been drawn by the Oxford fans. (This is not to say that there isn't room for improvement).

For those who did act to nip it in the bud, I thank you.

I sort of get the points you’re making but I do think gay people make such a noise about their sexuality. Sexuality isn’t a case of pride, I don’t ever think ‘I’m proud to be heterosexual’ but I hear the gay community often using the ‘proud to be gay‘ tag. Great, good for you, but why does the rest of the world need to know your intimate preferences ? I couldn’t care less what anyone else is but there’s this insatiable desire by gay people to let us know what they are.

I asked my daughter and her boyfriend where they were going out the other night and I got told ‘A coming out party’. Really ? I genuinely thought they were taking the p*ss with this. They weren’t.
Maybe you could talk to someone to understand this. Find an older gay person who’s sexuality was illegal for a chunk of their life, or a younger gay person who had to discover their sexuality in a culture that labelled it abnormal and then had to hide it because people around them would take the P**s (at best).
Then you might understand why being proud to be gay is a reasonable alternative, and why you might actually want to celebrate the huge achievement of publicly acknowledging your sexuality.

Maybe you could talk to someone to understand this. Find an older gay person who’s sexuality was illegal for a chunk of their life, or a younger gay person who had to discover their sexuality in a culture that labelled it abnormal and then had to hide it because people around them would take the P**s (at best).
Then you might understand why being proud to be gay is a reasonable alternative, and why you might actually want to celebrate the huge achievement of publicly acknowledging your sexuality.
To be fair to @dickwalton1964 despite the clear clash of opinions the two of us had, the more we went back and forth the more I could see a want to understand and learn. My generation is much more open and honest, and also much more stubborn, especially when it comes to injustice, and I've seen within my own family how it can be jarring for people not used to that. The best way to keep progressing and improving is to keep the conversation going and to keep educating - which is why I've been more active these last two days than probably the last month before it.

First person I "came out" to was an ex girlfriend at 15 - who immediately turned it around to her and threw out comments like "oh am I not good enough then?" and generally made the experience extremely negative. It wasn't until 4 years later when I moved away for Uni and had effectively a fresh start that I started to live life as who I actually am because I was made to feel ashamed for being me. So for me a coming out party is an opportunity for someone who is LGBTQ+ to have an event, a celebration, a moment that they begin to live life completely and truly as who they are and be proud of it - and also an opportunity for all their loved ones to let them know that they love you and accept you and are proud of who you are too. When you're straight that day is the day you're born, so there's no need to create that moment.

Genuinely think that full on LGBT rainbow shirt would be a brilliant statement by the club, and although this may sound cynical it could be a way of garnering more fans and selling lots of shirts to non Oxford fans…….

"Hetro and proud" but I'd be all over this shirt.

I think it would be amazing!

#MakeItHappen

Genuinely think that full on LGBT rainbow shirt would be a brilliant statement by the club, and although this may sound cynical it could be a way of garnering more fans and selling lots of shirts to non Oxford fans…….
"Hetro and proud" but I'd be all over this shirt.

I think it would be amazing!

#MakeItHappen
I've passed on my suggestion for a rainbow kit to the OUSP. We'll see what the club thinks about the idea. As was mentioned by @Jolteon it might be a stretch too far for an entire kit or even a shirt but maybe a white shirt with a rainbow sash printed front and back?

I've passed on my suggestion for a rainbow kit to the OUSP. We'll see what the club thinks about the idea. As was mentioned by @Jolteon it might be a stretch too far for an entire kit or even a shirt but maybe a white shirt with a rainbow sash printed front and back?

Go big Lounger or go home!

If you offer me just a sash on the back I'll riot :)

Anyone who has genuinely felt love, been in love, or felt any close connection to another human being, knows that it is who that individual is, not what they are, that matters.

I pity those who mocks or abuses others because of the people they want to be with, because they clearly have never felt that sort of a connection with another human.

Alot of idiots in the ground saturday - saw it kicking off a few times seemed to be people after trouble with whoever fancied it? Thought the atmoshphere from us was pretty dire, the football didnt help that mind.

Do the "LGBT community" actually want things like this though? Some people are gay and that's totally fine and normal. Would gay OUFC fans actually want this? Happy to be told I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom