Matches Home Support Attendance.

Not sure that against Seansea and Newcastle people even noticed that the stadium had 3 sides...
I'm not talking about the occasional big match atmosphere, I'm talking about yer average home league fixture.
Youngsters are used to seeing football on tv, with great atmosphere behind the goals. They come to the Kassam and...wow! A car park!
As I said, everyone who posts on here is used to that, but try seeing it through the eyes of newcomers. It's not the number one factor but it plays a big part in the mainly low key atmosphere.

oh for goodness sake you're preaching to the wrong people can you not see that? Outsiders wont give a flying fig about the stuff you write above.
You've got to get them through the gate, i've said it before that instead of going all guns blazing to fill the place because Sunderland are in town, it's the games v Accrington etc (with respect to them) that need promoting or else it will always be 1 step forward 3 steps back, you have to think outside the box and i was referring to long term in terms of getting fans attending since that's what we're talking about
Think of an outsider, you want them at your business and asking for £100+ because they've just watched you beat West Ham is very blinkered and short term view.

With all due respect you are talking absolute rubbish! No one is being forced into paying £100 for a bundle, but it is one of a number of initiatives for those who do attend.

We also have significantly reduced costs for children with a paying adult, a family room and the opportunity for kids to get a tour ahead of their first game. We have membership schemes that offer discounts per games and the chance to get tickets for in demand games. We have frozen ticket prices and are increasing the number of companies offering discounts to season ticket holders. We are looking to increase and improve information on social media to spread the word and are doing so much more in our communities and schools. Zaki and Tiger have been talking up each game, and buses have been put on from around the county to make it easier to get to the games. This included offering access to and from the park and ride on Wednesday night.

It might not be perfect, but it all helps. But seeing as you are so dismissive of all of this, maybe you can suggest some alternatives?

The away games are where the atmosphere and old Manor Ground style is to be found. Lincoln was amazing. I much prefer to do a 550 round trip to Accrington than watch a home game, although I do both being a season ticket holder.

Sadly the only thing that puts bums on seats in Oxfordshire is us being up the top end of the league week in week out. Look at the conference days similar crowds to today but that jumped up once we won promotion back to L2. Unfortunately we need sustained success to draw them back not one good month.

Sadly the only thing that puts bums on seats in Oxfordshire is us being up the top end of the league week in week out. Look at the conference days similar crowds to today but that jumped up once we won promotion back to L2. Unfortunately we need sustained success to draw them back not one good month.
You’re contradicting yourself. We’re more successful now than we were in League 2 but crowds are worse. I tend to agree with the view that we’re not attracting the young lads and that the atmosphere and ground experience aren’t exciting enough to get a new generation hooked.

As someone previously said we as fans can do are bit to increase attendances got a Brazilian colleague at work who loves his football who didn’t even no there was a professional team in oxford who I’m taking to a game soon. If we all big up are team to people at work and mention what a great day at the football is we can all help bring in new fans sell merchandise etc. Tbh were playing great football and want to get to the championship but unless we some how bring more money to the club we will loose some more star players in January probably Brannagan because as we all no in truth we are skint and we can all deny as much as we want but is it a bit strange that we started buying all are players after the Whyte sale? I’m enjoying this football at the moment but just think we can all do are bit to keep this club building and healthy and makesure there’s more good times in the near future to look forward to

The more you write on these subjects Scotchers, the more I believe that you are at best an apologist for, at worst, an agent for the positive promotion of the club.
Surely, even you can admit that with the Ultras we were louder, sung prouder, with flags, banners, drums, you name it. All for free, for the love of the club.
As an atmosphere, We are a million miles from then.
You can fill up those empty seats with
Success, or ticket offers and great - that might work. But what the club cannot do is bring their spirit back.
Here’s a thought though, Get the mural in place, then Before one big game, get the players to put a flag on every seat in the east stand and use the scene of them being waved before kick off to sell the club.
Involve the fans in some way. Leicester city had those clappy things dished out that sound awful (and I hate) but at least they were directly and positively engaging the fans.
It is true of course, the best publicity for Oxford United is the football, we should be highlighting the players and the manager. Getting them out into the community more, out to schools and handing out free kids tickets.

Filling up the far end of the SSL would be better than it being empty.
The club can afford to turn that block into giveaways as no-one sits in them.

Reduce the prices occasionally for the front (wet) seats in the East Stand. Better they are sold cheaper than not at all.
Just a few ideas that I thought about that could work.
If only the club had kept the Ultras onside, then they may well have been able to have done some of this for free.
But that’s another story.?

Football is an expensive day out for an individual, let alone a family with kids.
Its probably that simple.

What do you expect from the club for the 16-30 males? And why have 25 out of 30 stopped coming? It can't just be because of having to wait an hour to put the flags up?

No idea what the club can do - but I think in general we have an aging fanbase. Lincoln is the best example, that whole corner is young males. Is it price? Is it just success? Who knows.

RE: 25/30 - People now playing football themselves. People going to Uni. People at work. People with not enough money. Fundamentally though all of these are an excuse, because we all had that before we disbanded. People have just fallen out of love with football.

Over the years myself and the group offered many suggestions as to what could improve the atmosphere as a whole - not just to benefit us. They were never interested. We/I am still happy to sit down with the club to present these ideas to them, if they’re genuinely interested and show a desire to improve the atmosphere.

Most of these theories are wrong, because other lower league attendances are decent. Our particular club is disappointing at the moment

Why can't the "Ox-Rails" (Safe Standing) be extended to, say, the entire back four rows of the East Stand? I thought this would be the case if the 'trial' was successful?

Why can't the "Ox-Rails" (Safe Standing) be extended to, say, the entire back four rows of the East Stand? I thought this would be the case if the 'trial' was successful?

£££

Wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. Everyone stands there regardless. If they extended it down 10 or so rows and encouraged those fans to stand then I have no doubt it would be an improvement - but the club can't afford it.

The problem starts with the stadium. It’s a shithole. The east stand is a terrible design and doesn’t generate atmosphere regardless. I was in the North Stand v West Ham & hardly heard the majority of noise from the east stand.

£££

Wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. Everyone stands there regardless. If they extended it down 10 or so rows and encouraged those fans to stand then I have no doubt it would be an improvement - but the club can't afford it.
I think that the club can afford it if it really believes in it.

Over the years myself and the group offered many suggestions as to what could improve the atmosphere as a whole - not just to benefit us. They were never interested. We/I am still happy to sit down with the club to present these ideas to them, if they’re genuinely interested and show a desire to improve the atmosphere.
I really hope somebody takes you up on that.

There ya go! A positive offer for the club to act on... Free advice, from someone who cares.

With all due respect you are talking absolute rubbish! No one is being forced into paying £100 for a bundle, but it is one of a number of initiatives for those who do attend.

We also have significantly reduced costs for children with a paying adult, a family room and the opportunity for kids to get a tour ahead of their first game. We have membership schemes that offer discounts per games and the chance to get tickets for in demand games. We have frozen ticket prices and are increasing the number of companies offering discounts to season ticket holders. We are looking to increase and improve information on social media to spread the word and are doing so much more in our communities and schools. Zaki and Tiger have been talking up each game, and buses have been put on from around the county to make it easier to get to the games. This included offering access to and from the park and ride on Wednesday night.

It might not be perfect, but it all helps. But seeing as you are so dismissive of all of this, maybe you can suggest some alternatives?

i give up because you clearly don't get it and continue to look through the clubs/current fans eyes instead of those you need to attract..You've got to get them attending and hooked before the sales pitch.

Next 4 Home games Portsmouth ,Doncaster, Rochdale,Sunderland £1 per game a fair chance of 4 entertaining games what have we got to lose?
follow up with 50% Discount on Ipswich (mid November) with all 4 stubs from above games. still anything to lose?

£££

Surely it can't cost too much to put up a metal bar? My local non-league team doesn't have much money and has installed these on the terracing.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

The problem starts with the stadium. It’s a shithole. The east stand is a terrible design and doesn’t generate atmosphere regardless. I was in the North Stand v West Ham & hardly heard the majority of noise from the east stand.
It's not a design fault as the original design was for a two tiered east stand. It has just not been finished.

Back
Top Bottom