International News Holiday Makers "Entitlement"

What if they are just returning? IIRC the Border force can not legally stop a UK citizen entering the UK through the appropriate legal channels.

Normal people, not homicidal religious terrorists. :)

They could be Catholic/Protestant/Jewish/Jedi/Scientologist serial killers but haven't been convicted in a court yet...

Last edited:
A bit like civil service and union entitlement.
“I’m allowed x days sick per year but haven’t used them so will take them anyway.”

Recent news was that people working from home with desk based jobs were less likely to be taking sick leave as many could still do their job with for instance a little sniffle or a twisted ankle.

Shame on those who exploit the system.

A bit like civil service and union entitlement.
“I’m allowed x days sick per year but haven’t used them so will take them anyway.”

Recent news was that people working from home with desk based jobs were less likely to be taking sick leave as many could still do their job with for instance a little sniffle or a twisted ankle.

Shame on those who exploit the system.

God forbid you should actually take time to recover from your sniffle! No, better to be seen by the boss as soldiering on regardless (never mind the quality or impact of your work). Long-live presenteeism!

God forbid you should actually take time to recover from your sniffle! No, better to be seen by the boss as soldiering on regardless (never mind the quality or impact of your work). Long-live presenteeism!
Rubbish, a little sniffle when you are at home shouldn't stop you from doing a desk based job from home. In the old days, perhaps there is an argument that if you are off sick you aren't in an office and therefore are not spreading illness.

The parasites who take sick leave when they are perfectly capable of still doing their job could fund the whole NHS payrise whilst sat at home or off out on their "permitted exercise". The same parasites probably claim an early vaccine jab on the basis they work for the NHS even though they haven't been anywhere near the front line treating patients and are unlikely to be in any contact with the general public for several months.

Taking the middle ground (as always, bloody liberal t**t 😂) from yourself and MarkG, I've found that working from home with an illness resulted in me doing a bit of work, then having a long break, then doing a bit more, and so on. I couldn't have done that in the office, so would probably have had the day off. Yeah, I could have just taken the whole day to rest up, but I didn't.

No idea how the company recorded the day, sick day or work day, however...

Rubbish, a little sniffle when you are at home shouldn't stop you from doing a desk based job from home. In the old days, perhaps there is an argument that if you are off sick you aren't in an office and therefore are not spreading illness.

The parasites who take sick leave when they are perfectly capable of still doing their job could fund the whole NHS payrise whilst sat at home or off out on their "permitted exercise". The same parasites probably claim an early vaccine jab on the basis they work for the NHS even though they haven't been anywhere near the front line treating patients and are unlikely to be in any contact with the general public for several months.

True that.

Luckily the NHS has clamped down on those taking "consistent" sick leave. Proper draconian stuff.

You are allowed 3 episodes or 10 days of sickness per year, if you breach that target you are set a target for the following year.

That target is 3 episodes or 10 days in the next rolling 12 months.

2 years later, and if you have breached again, the target drops to 3 days or 1 episode per quarter, reviewed quarterly.

3 years later you might get a disciplinary..........3 years.....

Muggins here went 15 years with no absence, had 4 days off with Covid (pre isolation regs etc).

Then 2 months later had sacroilliac joint disfunction, pro-lapsed disc and GTPS which crippled me and that was 6 months off until the op. :)

Still had to fit in 38 days AL and the bank holidays I missed around that as well.

True that.

Luckily the NHS has clamped down on those taking "consistent" sick leave. Proper draconian stuff.

You are allowed 3 episodes or 10 days of sickness per year, if you breach that target you are set a target for the following year.

That target is 3 episodes or 10 days in the next rolling 12 months.

2 years later, and if you have breached again, the target drops to 3 days or 1 episode per quarter, reviewed quarterly.

3 years later you might get a disciplinary..........3 years.....

Muggins here went 15 years with no absence, had 4 days off with Covid (pre isolation regs etc).

Then 2 months later had sacroilliac joint disfunction, pro-lapsed disc and GTPS which crippled me and that was 6 months off until the op. :)

Still had to fit in 38 days AL and the bank holidays I missed around that as well.

What if you have a genuine condition that requires regular attention and recovery - a bout of chemo or psychiatric treatment perhaps?

What if those that were present everyday, coming in before their boss and leaving later than everybody else stank when it came to reviewing their performance?

Bonkers that presenteeism is still valued over actual achievements and impact in the company these days...

And yes, I realize that for certain roles such as Customer Services employees do actually need to be present to ensure things don't fall apart. But plenty of office-based jobs don't...

Might be misunderstanding some posts, but apparently the NHS get a pay rise every few years just for being on the payroll, separate to any % pay rise. Really?

obviously the key question is what is the pension entitlement? is it final salary or defined contribution?

Might be misunderstanding some posts, but apparently the NHS get a pay rise every few years just for being on the payroll, separate to any % pay rise. Really?

obviously the key question is what is the pension entitlement? is it final salary or defined contribution?

It used to be an annual increment plus cost of living %.

Now it is a "gateway" based on performance every 2 or 3 years depending where you sit on the pay ladder.

It is a brave manager that doesn`t allow an individual to progress through the gateway.

Pension depends on when you started, length of service as the schemes changed (1995, 2008, 2015) and if you chose to switch from FS (1995) to the other schemes.

Pay scales & increments (plus %) https://www.nhsemployers.org/pay-pe...service---agenda-for-change/pay-scales/annual

It seems Boris is alluding to some travel easing from 17th May.

Personally, I would prefer this restriction to remain in place until the majority of holiday destinations are on a par with the U.K. in terms of Covid cases and vaccinations etc.

It‘s all very well saying we need to proceed with caution, but once travel gateways are open we are bound to be springing Covid leaks and risk undoing all this work so far.

• React
Reactions: QR
It seems Boris is alluding to some travel easing from 17th May.

Personally, I would prefer this restriction to remain in place until the majority of holiday destinations are on a par with the U.K. in terms of Covid cases and vaccinations etc.

It‘s all very well saying we need to proceed with caution, but once travel gateways are open we are bound to be springing Covid leaks and risk undoing all this work so far.
I’m off to Malta end of July and at the moment they’re one of 3 European countries that are safe regarding numbers and so forth,!so I will be keeping my fingers crossed and if things keep going they way they are in Europe then the is a good possibility that other major tourist destinations in Europe could be welcoming but July.

I’m off to Malta end of July and at the moment they’re one of 3 European countries that are safe regarding numbers and so forth,!so I will be keeping my fingers crossed and if things keep going they way they are in Europe then the is a good possibility that other major tourist destinations in Europe could be welcoming but July.

Well, I hope that works out for you and that the world is a much safer place by then 👍

Can’t see me getting an a plane anytime soon.

Cottage in Cornwall this September for us. Always enjoy Cornwall that time of year.

Well, I hope that works out for you and that the world is a much safer place by then 👍

Can’t see me getting an a plane anytime soon.

Cottage in Cornwall this September for us. Always enjoy Cornwall that time of year.
is that north or south cornwall i go to north myself bude .

Back
Top Bottom