Hereford FC

saddletramp

Sacked their manager.
Won the league title every year he has been there.
Took them to Wembley.
Had a great start to the season.
Hit a sticky patch,(3 losses and a draw)
Still 3 points off the play offs with a game in hand.

People say managers/players have no loyalty.
With owners like this,who can blame them ?

Either way it’s extremely harsh on the manager assuming it’s results based.

Playing devil’s advocate for a moment (I think it was a poor decision), when you do get a club that’s on the rise ‘back to where they belong’, you do tend to find they decide to jettison the person who gets them there in favour of a more established and ‘better’ name.

Terry Brown won a tonne of promotions with AFC Wimbledon but the first sticky patch he hit and he was gone in favour of Neal Ardley to take them up to the next level. Neil Warnock has been hired and fired with increasing regularity from many PL sides as he’s seen as a means to an end and not the end itself, Watford sack managers who do reasonably well in favour of new blood each season to stay fresh and I remember the anger at Nigel Adkins getting the boot at Southampton not long after their promotion to the top flight. Where the board got it right there was with a great appointment in Mauricio Pochettino. A further nod to them getting it right is that Nigel Adkins has had a far from stellar post-Southampton management career – fairly ordinary spells at Reading, Sheffield United and what’s looking increasingly like a short spell at Hull.

It goes to show that if the Hereford board get the appointment right, the anger will ebb away and all will be forgotten. Get it wrong and there will be calls for Peter Beadle to come back and the board to go.

Playing devil’s advocate for a moment (I think it was a poor decision), when you do get a club that’s on the rise ‘back to where they belong’, you do tend to find they decide to jettison the person who gets them there in favour of a more established and ‘better’ name.

Terry Brown won a tonne of promotions with AFC Wimbledon but the first sticky patch he hit and he was gone in favour of Neal Ardley to take them up to the next level. Neil Warnock has been hired and fired with increasing regularity from many PL sides as he’s seen as a means to an end and not the end itself, Watford sack managers who do reasonably well in favour of new blood each season to stay fresh and I remember the anger at Nigel Adkins getting the boot at Southampton not long after their promotion to the top flight. Where the board got it right there was with a great appointment in Mauricio Pochettino. A further nod to them getting it right is that Nigel Adkins has had a far from stellar post-Southampton management career – fairly ordinary spells at Reading, Sheffield United and what’s looking increasingly like a short spell at Hull.

It goes to show that if the Hereford board get the appointment right, the anger will ebb away and all will be forgotten. Get it wrong and there will be calls for Peter Beadle to come back and the board to go.

To be fair I never really looked at it like that. Good post ?

I suppose at that level it’s all about contacts and experience, they might consider the old manager to be a bit out of his depth as they are now playing at a decent level where other clubs can match them financially, whereas previously they were the big boys playing against pretty small clubs. They now need a manager who can perform to a budget.

It’s very harsh. Salford did the same I think.
I can always remember Ian Porterfield leaving Rotherham in L2 and going to Sheffield United in L4. Got them to L2 in successive seasons where they finished eighth, and they fired him.
Chris Wilder had better watch out

Back
Top Bottom