‘Here Comes The Cavalry’ Striker Watch

yellowbow

With the January transfer window a couple of months away, and the lack of a prolific striker the obvious elephant in the room, I think everyone agrees which area of the pitch Robinson will be focusing most of his attention.

I reckon it would be interesting for all budding talent scouts out there to post the exploits of (realistic) potential targets during the countdown to the crucial time that could rescue our season.

Having missed the boat on the likes of FGRs Doidge, the only player that I can see who fits the bill is Exeter’s Jayden Stockley. He’s scored a few goals this season and I believe his contract is up in the summer which may help with the price and signing him in January. The downside is he’s very vocal about his admiration for Tisdale and how good a relationship they had at Exeter, so it’s a chance that MK Dons would be his preferred choice.

If anyone has any other options and how they’re doing feel free to post here, there doesn’t appear that many that I can see?

Shockley will probably go to the Championship I believe.

We will probably sign someone called Shockley and claim he is 87.5% as good as the real thing at only 2% of the price! ;)

Which presents an obvious problem. It’s all very well everyone pinning their hopes on a big mobile goal scorer coming in to transform our season but are they really out there in our price range? We’ve gone down the route of gambling on young talent in Smith and so far that hasn’t paid off. Do we go more for a journeyman centreforward, with better physical attributes for the role than Mackie? Someone competent in the role but affordable, somebody like Akinde for example

I stick by my previous comments that buying a decent striker in January is both difficult and expensive - for the obvious reason that supply is low and demand is very high. I suspect we might go down the 'obscure Irish league player' route and hope we find another Whyte. Apart from that, you are restricted to another loan (can we have more if we don't play them all or send one or two back?) - which will be either a 'promising youngster' or a player very much out of favour (another team's Obika, perhaps). Unless you want to pay an absolute bloody fortune - which we won't.

I stick by my previous comments that buying a decent striker in January is both difficult and expensive - for the obvious reason that supply is low and demand is very high. I suspect we might go down the 'obscure Irish league player' route and hope we find another Whyte. Apart from that, you are restricted to another loan (can we have more if we don't play them all or send one or two back?) - which will be either a 'promising youngster' or a player very much out of favour (another team's Obika, perhaps). Unless you want to pay an absolute bloody fortune - which we won't.
With the additional issue that very few good strikers around our level would choose to come to a struggling league one team whose ambition for this season is mid-table.

Stockly will go for too much. He is out of our range after having such a strong start to the season. I would have loved us to get Stefan Payne in the summer...we certainly require that ilk from our striker. I thought Ferrier from Walsall looked quite handy...he was signed from Boreham Wood...so clearly players out there

Have those ambitions developed further since the last window?

Macauley Bonne from Leyton Orient please. Only 23, bagging for fun this season (13 in 17 games I think)

Macauley Bonne from Leyton Orient please. Only 23, bagging for fun this season (13 in 17 games I think)
Not somebody I’ve heard of but definitely the type of player I would hope our recruitment dept are aware of. Getting in a proven goal scorer on a decent contract - and by that I mean a striker who fits into the system we want to play, not another Hemmings situation - would be a real boost to everyone.

Paul Smyth from QPR

Conor Washington from Shef Utd

Aiden O'Brien from Millwall

Not somebody I’ve heard of but definitely the type of player I would hope our recruitment dept are aware of. Getting in a proven goal scorer on a decent contract - and by that I mean a striker who fits into the system we want to play, not another Hemmings situation - would be a real boost to everyone.
Will have a look at him at Eastleigh this evening.

Maybe Erick Thohir will dip in his pocket, and flex his wallet. Money talks!

Having said that he isn’t here yet.

Jayden Stockley
Tom Eaves
Bonne is a great shout. Would love to derail Orients promotion charge!

Maybe Erick Thohir will dip in his pocket, and flex his wallet. Money talks!

Having said that he isn’t here yet.

Jayden Stockley
Tom Eaves
Bonne is a great shout. Would love to derail Orients promotion charge!
I often flex my wallet....but there is often very little in it.

If we got the cavalry coming .... 1st of the 9th Air cav' ..... led by Colonel Kilgore, ain't a bad shout .... hit hard, and on target :cool:

On past experience whoever comes in will probably someone we have never heard of.

Back
Top Bottom