Henry’s OM Comments?

Shaun Rice

“If they can back us then ultimately it will help us. But we can’t blame things like that. We’ve got to go into every game thinking it’s the fans prerogative not to be happy with the way we are playing. But we’ve just got to block everything out and perform.”

Very interesting comments. Always makes me smile when we’re not doing well and the player/s make comments like this.

Should any players or media be reading this then please understand... it’s not us it’s you!
We (the fans) turn up almost every week with anticipation and a smile inside because it’s Saturday and our team is at home. We meet our mates, family or just those who we’ve sat near for years. We chat crap, have a laugh and build up to 3pm in our own way but Everyone, everyone! wants to see us play well and win.

Yeah there are idiots who don’t have a scooby doo. Like the bloke behind me who keeps shouting at players for not tying when they are clearly off side and not going for the ball. But these people are just dysfunctional members of our family. Nobody’s perfect.

The relationship between the fans mood and the football on the pitch is a linked. You play well and we’ll support you. Sorry it doesn’t work the other way around. Think of it like a crap sequel to your all time favourite movie.
You sit in the cinema with such anticipation it’s almost uncontainable. But within 5-10 minutes you’re thinking this is terrible. Yet you still sit there hopeful it will get better. Eventually even the most hardcore fan will get bored, leave, play on their phone or read the program. Watching paint dry is still watching paint dry even if it’s yellow and blue!

Come on last week we didn’t have a single shot on target for the whole of the second half!

So play well, create chances, score goals and give us the exciting entertainment we crave and you will be hero’s to us all.

“If they can back us then ultimately it will help us. But we can’t blame things like that. We’ve got to go into every game thinking it’s the fans prerogative not to be happy with the way we are playing. But we’ve just got to block everything out and perform.”

Very interesting comments. Always makes me smile when we’re not doing well and the player/s make comments like this.

Should any players or media be reading this then please understand... it’s not us it’s you!
We (the fans) turn up almost every week with anticipation and a smile inside because it’s Saturday and our team is at home. We meet our mates, family or just those who we’ve sat near for years. We chat crap, have a laugh and build up to 3pm in our own way but Everyone, everyone! wants to see us play well and win.

Yeah there are idiots who don’t have a scooby doo. Like the bloke behind me who keeps shouting at players for not tying when they are clearly off side and not going for the ball. But these people are just dysfunctional members of our family. Nobody’s perfect.

The relationship between the fans mood and the football on the pitch is a linked. You play well and we’ll support you. Sorry it doesn’t work the other way around. Think of it like a crap sequel to your all time favourite movie.
You sit in the cinema with such anticipation it’s almost uncontainable. But within 5-10 minutes you’re thinking this is terrible. Yet you still sit there hopeful it will get better. Eventually even the most hardcore fan will get bored, leave, play on their phone or read the program. Watching paint dry is still watching paint dry even if it’s yellow and blue!

Come on last week we didn’t have a single shot on target for the whole of the second half!

So play well, create chances, score goals and give us the exciting entertainment we crave and you will be hero’s to us all.

Attachments

• E7F7E5E8-5BCD-4FFC-9BEE-D494E679CC42.jpeg
    E7F7E5E8-5BCD-4FFC-9BEE-D494E679CC42.jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 9
Yes but do they have the ability to do it, against certain teams physically and mentally we are lacking.

Last week against Bristol the banners were back, the atmosphere was back in the East stand, singing throughout, fans trying to lift the team following the optimism of Charlton.

But then we bottled it, because ‘we scored too early’.

Totally disagree with Henry

Who does he think he is? I thought when he scored the other day he was asking us to be quiet by putting his finger to his lips

Every other week 6000 of us turn up and are desperate for us to see a good performance.

We are all behind the team,the chanting begins and continues even though we are playing shite.

Eventually the stadium gets quieter,if the opposition score we try and raise the team,but as in life we can't keep giving all the time and get nothing in return.

Henry came from Reading and having seen them play at home there is no support until they score.

So Mr Henry shut up and put your efforts into the team

Totally disagree with Henry

Who does he think he is? I thought when he scored the other day he was asking us to be quiet by putting his finger to his lips

Every other week 6000 of us turn up and are desperate for us to see a good performance.

We are all behind the team,the chanting begins and continues even though we are playing shite.

Eventually the stadium gets quieter,if the opposition score we try and raise the team,but as in life we can't keep giving all the time and get nothing in return.

Henry came from Reading and having seen them play at home there is no support until they score.

So Mr Henry shut up and put your efforts into the team
Henry is the last player you should be complaining about putting effort into the team him and Eastwood have been our best players last 2 months.

"We are all behind the team,the chanting begins and continues even though we are playing shite." The chanting doesn't make a difference when individuals start attacking our own players if they misplace a pass or lose the ball,the abuse ruins players confidence. Forexample Mousinho gets a lot of abuse and it seems to effect it, so maybe if fans encourage players like Mousinho we'd get confidence into the players and it'll help us push on.

To be fair to Henry let’s add this for balance:

We’ve really got to address our home form, because it’s not been good enough, plain and simple,” he said.

“We’ve got to get bums on seats and start impressing at home, by putting in performances that our fans can be proud of.

“I don’t think it’s a difficult place to play, it’s just for whatever reason we’re not performing there.

“It’s got to change on Saturday because every team in the league will say their stadium should be a fortress.

He lost my respect when he put his fingers to his lips.

When I say put your efforts into the team I meant with encouragement.

Henry is the last player you should be complaining about putting effort into the team him and Eastwood have been our best players last 2 months.

"We are all behind the team,the chanting begins and continues even though we are playing shite." The chanting doesn't make a difference when individuals start attacking our own players if they misplace a pass or lose the ball,the abuse ruins players confidence. Forexample Mousinho gets a lot of abuse and it seems to effect it, so maybe if fans encourage players like Mousinho we'd get confidence into the players and it'll help us push on.

I think the point is valid if the way it’s deliverd is not.

I think the home support has been incredibly patient despite so total dross.

Blackpool, Wigan, Bristol, Bury, Blackburn.

Where patience is wearing thin is that Pep bought in ‘experienced’ players, yet they make the same errors, wobble after conceding and seem insble to establish a consistent performance.

Henry has been one of our best performers in recent times. I understand his comments but feel there does come a point where the team need to deliver *at home*.

As Jim Smith said when the going gets tough the tough get going.

Perhaps as fans when coming to the current stadium it's with no feeling of it being home and there is little confidence from everyone..... when going to The Manor you always had a belief that we could win regardless of the opposition..Those special cup nights everyone had the belief and staff players and fans were all in it together.

The move to our 3 sided wind tunnel has coincided with not just a fall through the leagues, poor on field performance and results (in the main ) but a massive gap in connection between the club and fans....Mark Ashton was addressing that but along with customer focused staff they have all moved on.

To target a competition that was only of interest to the 20.000 extras who turn up at wembley and appear to do nothing to attract them to your home matches where much needed income is required, whilst having your core support pay through the nose and only think of them come July time is hardly going to be good Long Term.

Give me those eerie walks back to the coach in Headley Way that were parked with the visiting fans coaches anytime to standing in the cold and rain waiting 30 minutes for a bus to arrive having just sat freezing for 2 hours largely staring at your feet in a souless place that's meant to be home.

Ah the good old argument that players can’t have a dig at fans but it’s ok for fans to abuse players from the first minute of a game.

Our home form has never been that good, it’s not just this year. Past managers and players have made comments about our fans getting on the players backs. Maybe, just maybe they have a point?

Its a sad day when your team has got to play well before they can expect support from the stands

I think that’s the argument. I think despite poor performances at home they have received decent backing?

I’m going to don my tin hat here. I’m just wonder if the fact that Henry is from Reading leaves him open to getting cut less slack than anyone else in the squad. He shouldn’t have ‘shushed’ the supporters the way he did but would Lego or Ricky have got the same levels of response for doing it? I know the bar hasn’t been set high but Id go along with what others have said, he, along with Eastwood, has been our top performer since Christmas. If Napa or Rothwell had smashed that goal in against Rotherham, we’d still all be gushing about it despite the team performance and result

There’s always a problem with these cheap ‘soundbites’ that the OM always insist on putting out. Exactly the same with Todd Kane’s. They ask for interviews with the players and then edit them for the key points that leave the players open for criticism, especially when things aren’t going well and the supporters are fed up. They probably do wince a bit sometimes when they see their interview splashed across the back page..

In an ideal world the players probably should concentrate on their performances but then we’d all moan that they’re not engaging with the fans

Perhaps as fans when coming to the current stadium it's with no feeling of it being home and there is little confidence from everyone..... when going to The Manor you always had a belief that we could win regardless of the opposition..Those special cup nights everyone had the belief and staff players and fans were all in it together.
Maybe I'm being pedantic here but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that much fun in the last few years at The Manor. Jarman, McGukin et al made sure of that. Absolutely no way there was an expectation of victory in those days and there was similar "dissatisfaction" from the stands then as well.

It is garbage at the moment though.

This is the ruthless nature of modern football. We as fans pay a lot of money to watch our teams and (for some) this makes them believe they are owed a result and a good performance.

I like to think I’m a bit more pragmatic. I know we can’t win every week. Therefore, I’m satisfied as long as I’m convinced that the team has prepared properly and has given in their all. The only thing I’ll ever moan at during a match is a lack of effort of professionalism. If I expected a faultless performance I’d go watch Man City instead.

Players also need to realise just how much clubs mean to the fans. It’s very rare these days to get players than connect with clubs, which is understandable due to the fact they get sold and released on a regular basis. But at the very least they should do their best to appreciate what it’s like being on the other side of the white line.

They also need to realise that fans these days are concerned about what goes on off the pitch almost as much as they are with what goes on the pitch. Often frustration that is displayed during matches relates more to issues such as ownership, the stadium, management etc. rather than the goings on on the pitch.

The solution? Players give their all 100% of the time and fans support the team regardless of the result. Not likely to happen I suppose!

Maybe I'm being pedantic here but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that much fun in the last few years at The Manor. Jarman, McGukin et al made sure of that. Absolutely no way there was an expectation of victory in those days and there was similar "dissatisfaction" from the stands then as well.

No you're absolutely right but there is a connection between those last few years at the Manor and where we are today though. There are always going to be people voicing their displeasure regardless of where you play.

What i would add though is that for many wild horses wouldn't prevent people going to the manor but i bet those feelings are very different about our current stadium.

What also needs to be kept in mind is that nowadays for many the leisure pound is sought in other areas and it's not long before missing the odd 2/3 games quickly becomes 9/10 and then once people are in the habit of doing other things it's harder to get them back...
On top of this i said back in November when we exited the fa cup and the club seemed more interested in the mickey mouse trophy, that in terms of attracting much need extra support at home the season was effectively over.

The last season was absolutely shocking. ONE HUNDRED goals conceded. WE only sold out he home part of the final game at the Manor ever on the day of the game (around what 7000 supporters?)
I remember some fantastic times at the Manor, but some dreadful ones as well. As you rightly point out the final season was virtually atmosphere less with some very very poor home support numbers.

Some of our fans are right snowflakes! You see these idiots full of anger at nothing. The stadium isn’t great, it’s true. I think it only really works if you have a season ticket, it’s not a good enough experience to make the odd game attractive

Back
Top Bottom