Away Match Day Thread Heavy handed walsall stewards?

Sarge

God like member
Anyone directly affected by or who witnessed walsall stewards heavy handed, bullying &provocative actions on saturday contact football supporters federation
Amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk

Walsall stewards have got a reputation for being confrontational ... a 69 year old bristol rovers fan &his grandson have an ongoing case regarding thier treatment by walsall stewards from earlier this season

Edit- amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk

Last edited:
I can only comment on what I saw
I found them polite and friendly even the response team, yes they were firm but there was a section of oxford fans who had been drinking heavily, and when I went forward to the wall celebrate the 3rd goal I was knocked to the ground by some of these, and had to be helped to my feet by one of those response team who asked if I was ok, and I’m not small bloke. My girlfriend, who was at her first away game, was not impressed by the actions of some of these drinkers, as she was almost pushed over, whilst standing by her seat, by a man who had obviously had a few, as she pointed out to me later the majority of those were Middle Aged men not youngsters. And yes she told me off for leaving her ......

I can only comment on what I saw
I found them polite and friendly even the response team, yes they were firm but there was a section of oxford fans who had been drinking heavily, and when I went forward to the wall celebrate the 3rd goal I was knocked to the ground by some of these, and had to be helped to my feet by one of those response team who asked if I was ok, and I’m not small bloke. My girlfriend, who was at her first away game, was not impressed by the actions of some of these drinkers, as she was almost pushed over, whilst standing by her seat, by a man who had obviously had a few, as she pointed out to me later the majority of those were Middle Aged men not youngsters. And yes she told me off for leaving her ......

I agree with you 100%, Oxford Pete. I was seated on the right of Row B as you view the pitch and in my opinion they were, indeed, polite and responsive throughout the game. Certainly no need to report anyone to anybody, contrary to what is suggested by the original poster.

For some balance, at our end of the stand a chap threw a hot dog at Cook as he celebrated his (relegation place maintaining equalising :rolleyes:) goal.

He was politely asked to the front to apologise for his actions and then allowed back to his seat.

I am reminded of this article each time the topic of encroachment comes up;
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...y-manchester-city-bournemouth-police-stewards
An article that should be read by every steward, police officer and football club.
Yes, it is about time the laws were reviewed.
We, as fans, are not "scum" nor are we hooligans and should not be regarded as such by the law makers of this country.

One of them at the end of the game made my 4 year old cry after the final whistle. He was so upset. The steward was shouting at someone and decided to do it right in front of my sons face.
He did eventually apologise though. I did have a few polite words to say to him prior to him apologising

I agree with you 100%, Oxford Pete. I was seated on the right of Row B as you view the pitch and in my opinion they were, indeed, polite and responsive throughout the game. Certainly no need to report anyone to anybody, contrary to what is suggested by the original poster.
All a matter of opinion @tim lane ..... there certainly were several instances where stewards at walsall did over react on saturday, albeit you didnt witness anything untoward doesnt equate to there being no need to report anyone, those on the recieving end of heavy handed stewarding will probably view how they were treated by stewards differently to you? Stewards are not above the law and should comply with the green guide requirements, if they dont ,thankfully organisations such as fsf exist , to ensure football supporters are no longer treated like third class citizens when going to support their team and investigate incidents where those in a position of authority overstep the authority they are bestowed with. Fsf have successfully represented countless football supporters who have had the misfortune to, for often no reason at all, fall foul of individuals who chose to act beyond the remit of their breif.... its not the 1980s anymore, football supporters are people and deserve to be treated as such

All a matter of opinion @tim lane ..... there certainly were several instances where stewards at walsall did over react on saturday, albeit you didnt witness anything untoward doesnt equate to there being no need to report anyone, those on the recieving end of heavy handed stewarding will probably view how they were treated by stewards differently to you? Stewards are not above the law and should comply with the green guide requirements, if they dont ,thankfully organisations such as fsf exist , to ensure football supporters are no longer treated like third class citizens when going to support their team and investigate incidents where those in a position of authority overstep the authority they are bestowed with. Fsf have successfully represented countless football supporters who have had the misfortune to, for often no reason at all, fall foul of individuals who chose to act beyond the remit of their breif.... its not the 1980s anymore, football supporters are people and deserve to be treated as such

The response guy wearing glasses was OTT and hell bent on inciting trouble.

Last edited:
From what I saw and I was sat just tonthe left of the goal thenresponse and stewardsnhad an U’s supporter in a headlock and was dragging himthebothers were just mishandled and took out, now it also appears to me that one of the guys ejected after the 2nd goal also seemed as if he was forced over the wall during the crush to celebrate Garbutt’s goal although he appeared to have sorted himself out and was behind the small fence.
On another note 2 seasons ago before kick off one of their Stewards smacked an OUFC supporter in the mush and if my memory serves me correct the steward was ushered away and the supporter ejected...( I Maybe wrong on the ejection bit )

From what I saw and I was sat just tonthe left of the goal thenresponse and stewardsnhad an U’s supporter in a headlock and was dragging himthebothers were just mishandled and took out, now it also appears to me that one of the guys ejected after the 2nd goal also seemed as if he was forced over the wall during the crush to celebrate Garbutt’s goal although he appeared to have sorted himself out and was behind the small fence.
On another note 2 seasons ago before kick off one of their Stewards smacked an OUFC supporter in the mush and if my memory serves me correct the steward was ushered away and the supporter ejected...( I Maybe wrong on the ejection bit )

I saw that Baz and the fan was thrown out. There was talk at the time of the steward getting the sack but I’ve no idea what eventually happened

I saw that Baz and the fan was thrown out. There was talk at the time of the steward getting the sack but I’ve no idea what eventually happened
Probably sent him to another part of the ground and hushed it up

Totally disagree @Sarge football fans are not people! We a pieces of meat to be treated as such. Stewards are the law and should be allowed to do exactly as they please ;-)

I don’t remember too many incidents from the 80’s cos I was too young and still at games with my parents but the 90’s were bad enough.

Just a thought, we can get all the info on any ground, the away end, facilities, where to eat, where to drink, why not have a league on stewards and how friendly they are or not, maybe a new face book page of stewards good and bad, over the season with input from all visiting supporters they should be a consensus of opinion over a season, I'm sure if a club saw a pattern of bad reviews come out through the seasons they would have to re-assess their procedures.

I went to watch Walsall v Huddersfield a few years back and was sat having a can with a mate when we were approached by a friendly Walsall steward who advised us to drink away from the stewards as they had a reputation for not allowing entry to people they had seen drinking. I’d met him on a train in Birmingham and it was our first drink so not drunk. Shows that even their own stewards are wary of some of their own!

Just a thought, we can get all the info on any ground, the away end, facilities, where to eat, where to drink, why not have a league on stewards and how friendly they are or not, maybe a new face book page of stewards good and bad, over the season with input from all visiting supporters they should be a consensus of opinion over a season, I'm sure if a club saw a pattern of bad reviews come out through the seasons they would have to re-assess their procedures.
think that FSF via their awayday fans surveys try to provide something along those lines? .... fsf awayfans survey link.... they ask for feedback for every away game football supporters go to .....http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/have-your-say-away-fans-survey-2018-19

Back
Top Bottom