Local News Headington Shark

Good old Bill will be spinning in his grave! Part of the reason was "against planning rules" and now they want to protect it!!

Can remember the Moulin Rouge/Flea Pit opposite with the can can legs! Blockbuster Video on the corner.

Happy pub crawls Butchers, Standard, Britt then White Horse or up into Old Headington for the Bell, Black Boy and White Hart.

Good old Bill will be spinning in his grave! Part of the reason was "against planning rules" and now they want to protect it!!

Can remember the Moulin Rouge/Flea Pit opposite with the can can legs! Blockbuster Video on the corner.

Happy pub crawls Butchers, Standard, Britt then White Horse or up into Old Headington for the Bell, Black Boy and White Hart.
diagonally opposite

Remember watching a few films in there when a kid, before the legs were added.
b9652574c786d2aed6972c608f528675.jpg

Didn't the can can legs migrate to st Clements somewhere?

I rented a copy of Evander Holyfield’s Real Deal Boxing for the Mega Drive from there. Also bought a Beavis and Butthead VHS that has an awful lot to answer for.

I just wanted to join in.

Then they moved over the road to the new build where Williams furniture & the bridal shop was, then taken over by Ritz, who sponsored the matchday programme v Southampton IIRC...................... them was the days.

The Internet says they went to BH's other cinema in Brighton.

I’ve been to that cinema in Brighton lots of time - had no idea the legs were previously in Oxford!

We used to sneak in the backdoor of that cinema as kids, seem to remember they showed a lot of the confessions and Emanuel films there.

It was renowned for showing some fairly radical films back in the day. I remember seeing a Japanese horror film (Onibaba), also The Trial and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as performed by the Inmates of Charenton Asylum under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade. (Surely the longest film title ever)? One of the few films I've ever walked out of after around half hour. Totally weird.

It was renowned for showing some fairly radical films back in the day. I remember seeing a Japanese horror film (Onibaba), also The Trial and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as performed by the Inmates of Charenton Asylum under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade. (Surely the longest film title ever)? One of the few films I've ever walked out of after around half hour. Totally weird.

Are you sure this wasn't a dream?

• React
Reactions: MJB
....there were a pair of large 'jazz hands' over the front of the penultimate picture palace cinema, off cowley road ,for a few years
It's now called the Ultimate Picture Palace and has been refurbished though still has an 'indie' feel. I went last night for the first time in ages and really enjoyed the film Belfast.

Definitely no dream. Check it out.
Penultimate picture palace at one point , for a period of time, screened a number of 'world cinema' films - as late night shows .... if memory serves, which it might not! ..... weren't Penultimate Picture Palace on of the first , if not the first, to screen A Clockwork Orange, ( as part of a Kubrick film 'festival'.... possibly to some kind of film club/ association mini season ? ) around the time Kubrick died , thus 'lifting' Kubrick's own UK embargo on the cult film ( he refused British board of censors insistance to make anymore cuts to his film in the 70s, thus A Clockwork Orange was 'banned' - by Kubrick himself- for many years in the UK)

Then they moved over the road to the new build where Williams furniture & the bridal shop was, then taken over by Ritz, who sponsored the matchday programme v Southampton IIRC...................... them was the days.
It was Walkers Furniture. Williams was the fishing tackle/cycle shop which was over the traffic lights towards Bury Knowle Park.

It was Walkers Furniture. Williams was the fishing tackle/cycle shop which was over the traffic lights towards Bury Knowle Park.
they sold sweets in Williams too ..... as an anklebiter going to home games at the Manor with my dad, I remember he'd often call in there to buy a packet of fruit gums (or occasionally fruit pastilles) on the way to football