Ex Player Harry "Bud" Houghton

daisy425

Hi everyone,

I'm the son of Bud Houghton, who played for Oxford United from 1961 to 1963. He passed away when I was 2 and I'm 28 now.

I'm sending out a shot in the dark here to see if anyone has anything still saved over the years with his name on it. Last year I was lucky enough to find and purchase the contract he signed with Birmingham City. Any pamphlets, signatures, random bits of paper with his name on it... I'd love to purchase them from you and pay for shipping to America, whatever the cost is.

I've reached out to the club historian, so hopefully something will turn up there. And if you know someone who might still have something hanging around from his time at OUFC, please feel free to give me their contact information.

Sorry in advance if this type of post isn't allowed, I'm not sure where else to post it.

Welcome to the forum. I watched your father play for Oxford many time. One of my all-time favorite players.
I have only my fond memories but I hope your search is successful.

Hi, good luck with your search. I personally never saw him play but my dad always says what a great player he was. One of his favourite players to pull on the yellow shirt.

I don't have any memorabilia for you, but I did find this Youtube video from the FA Cup game at Arsenal, which your dad played in. You may have seen it already, but if not, enjoy!

Hi everyone,

I'm the son of Bud Houghton, who played for Oxford United from 1961 to 1963. He passed away when I was 2 and I'm 28 now.

I'm sending out a shot in the dark here to see if anyone has anything still saved over the years with his name on it. Last year I was lucky enough to find and purchase the contract he signed with Birmingham City. Any pamphlets, signatures, random bits of paper with his name on it... I'd love to purchase them from you and pay for shipping to America, whatever the cost is.

I've reached out to the club historian, so hopefully something will turn up there. And if you know someone who might still have something hanging around from his time at OUFC, please feel free to give me their contact information.

Sorry in advance if this type of post isn't allowed, I'm not sure where else to post it.
Good luck with your search.
I just missed your father's time at Oxford , but remember him being talked about fondly .
Martin, the club historian is probably your best bet, but hopefully others can help.

Have many boxes of cuttings in the loft. I am sure there will be something there. He scored upwards of 40 goals 1960/61 so definitely in the Hall of Fame.

There would be match programmes for every game he played.
This link shows you which games he scored in for us, which you could use as a starting point:

The programmes wouldn't be cheap though, but there are plenty on ebay.

Hi Daisy, I remember your dad and like others had said what a great player he was for United. I once had a round of golf with him and remember him as a great bloke and his golf wasn't bad.

Hi, one of my all time favourite players was your farther. Watched him play many times for Oxford.
I’m sorry to say that I have only memories, and nothing with his name on it.
I wish you all the luck in your search

Last edited:
dunno if its what youre looking for -or even partly what you're looking for- maybe try Oxford mail sport archive- they may be helpful with match reports etc from the early 60s

I vaguely ( I was 5 years old at the first OUFC game I was taken to in '62) remember my Dad and uncle talking about Bud Houghton after more than a few home games

maybe visit a few old football programme dealer websites may be helpful too

good luck

Bud Houghton was my favourite player because he scored so many goals and seemed a great character though I was only 10/ 11 at the time.
I don’t know why he left as he was always good for goals, The last time I heard of him apart from his sad death, I believe he was a director at Southend Utd!!!
l am sure our skipper then big Ron Atkinson can give you more information as the group in those days were very tight knit

Back
Top Bottom