Happy St Georges Day!

I was hoping for something a bit more in depth Danny, but never mind. Irrelevant of the structure of the Union, you are both English AND British. How do you feel about the Union flag? So to adjust my questions slightly, who do you consider to be English? What are the credentials of a truly 'English' person?

A classic question designed to encourage people to air controversial/"racist" opinions haha.

Brief retrospective look of the Oxford input into St George replacing St Edmund as England's patron saint, and err flag up, some of the many England ( and Oxford-shire) official banners from over the centuries. As it was 'one of our own' , Richard The Lionheart - born in Beaumont Palace Oxford- who's crusading 'firm', the Knights Templar ( corgi registered heating engineers of their time) who it was that changed the patron saint of England from St Edmund ( 9th century King of East Anglia), to a St George, a Christian martyr, who never set foot in our green and pleasant land. Georgios the Turk's religious martyrdom led to him as St George being adopted as patron saint by quite a few counties, as well as which Georgia in the Balkans took its countries name from St George. National flag of England, until St Edmund was given the elbow and St Georges cross was adopted was this .....View attachment 458

Then there is historically the Saxon (King of Wessex flag of a golden lion on a red background)- Another 'one of our own' Alfred the Great , born in Wantage, the only King to be named 'The Great', who was the first King of a united England ( a territory that excluded most of Yorkshire which was under Danish rule , at the time known as Dane law, Alfred the Greats flag ......View attachment 459

which, over time evolved into the plantagenet three lions (adapted for England football team shirt), again it was Oxford boy, Richard the Lionheart who introduced the three gold lions on a red background as his emblem/ flag .....View attachment 460co-opting or incorporating Fleur de Lys as part of Englands coat of arms and one of many varients of the Royal Standard yet again has links to our own Richard the Lionhearts family and a time when various provinces of France were under English rule , also Fleur de Lys has a link to 1066 (and all that).... English Royal Standard......View attachment 462then theres the Saint Georges Cross/ St Georges flag adopted by Richard the Lionhearts elite firm of Knights Templar ( ever wondered what the origins of Cowley , or as it was TEMPLE Cowley are, as an aside? ).....View attachment 463
I've purposely omitted the varients to the Union flag and the United Kingdom royal standard as although England is 'part' of the flags make up, they are none of them exclusively England flags.... though there are at least 4 if not more evolutionary varients to the Union flag into its most recent (1770's) incarnation which is used 'today'

Breaking it down to a more local overview St Friedswides (patron saint of Oxford) flag was the first flag for Oxfordshire ......View attachment 464

as of last year 2017, this is now the county flag of Oxfordshire......View attachment 466

When all is said and done THIS is the flag I prefer .....View attachment 467

Question for @dannyc , which England ,( and for that matter Oxford) flag would be the one you'd prefer to be flying ' everywhere', would it be Georgios the Turk's cross or another of the many options? :unsure:

As yet unanswered despite asking several times ^^^ ...@dannyc ...... a variety of England flags and standards , albeit tenuously linked in some way to Oxford ...plus a trio of Oxford/ Oxford shire flags ..... Question was , which of them, if any would you most prefer to see flying 'everywhere' in England?

Shamefully Sarge I walked past it this morning and didn't notice. I'll be passing it again in about 45 minutes so I'll have a look and report back tonight or tomorrow.

The Winchester KA statue has a sword.

I was hoping for something a bit more in depth Danny, but never mind. Irrelevant of the structure of the Union, you are both English AND British. How do you feel about the Union flag? So to adjust my questions slightly, who do you consider to be English? What are the credentials of a truly 'English' person?

A classic question designed to encourage people to air controversial/"racist" opinions haha.

Only if they have them in the first place

Danny, sing along you know you want to.....

Take a pinch of white man
Wrap him up in black skin
Add a touch of blue blood
And a little bitty bit of red Indian boy
Oh like a Curly Latin kinkies
Oh Lordy, Lordy, mixed with yellow Chinkees, yeah
You know you lump it all together
And you got a recipe for a get along scene
Oh what a beautiful dream
If it could only come true, you know, you know
What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough enough enough to take
The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee coloured people by the score
Rabbis and the friars
Vishnus and the gurus
We got the Beatles or the Sun God
Well it really doesn't matter what religion you choose
And be thankful little Mrs. Graceful
You know that livin' could be tasteful
We should all get together in a lovin machine
I think I'll call up the queen
It' s only fair that she knows, you know, you know
What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough enough enough to take
The world and all its got And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee coloured people by the score

The Wantage one carries an axe and a scroll, both of which are present and correct as of 07:35. @Sarge
Glad to hear that .... vaguely remember KA statue in Wantage having the axe missing on a few occasions?

Back
Top Bottom