Happy St George's day

Happy St George's Day ?????????

Unfortunate that the media and my workplace would rather publicise the start of Ramadan but there you go, it's 2020.
No one cares about St George‘s Day. No one ever has. Even as a kid in the 60s in a pretty right wing part of Essex it wasn’t a thing, when it would have been a fun subject for little kids to explore. I don’t know why it’s not important but it never has been. The only people who make out they care about it are just using it to support some tired agenda.

No one cares about St George‘s Day. No one ever has. Even as a kid in the 60s in a pretty right wing part of Essex it wasn’t a thing, when it would have been a fun subject for little kids to explore. I don’t know why it’s not important but it never has been. The only people who make out they care about it are just using it to support some tired agenda.

Likewise when I was young (70s-80s). No one ever made anything of it at all. We knew it was there, but never felt the need to celebrate anything.

Likewise when I was young (70s-80s). No one ever made anything of it at all. We knew it was there, but never felt the need to celebrate anything.
I mean, it could be a nice thing that united the country - the dragon is fun and the flag striking, and there’s nothing inherently right wing about it. But it’s just never been celebrated.

If we were celebrating any day, I'd go for a bank holiday on 21st October - Trafalgar Day. One of the greatest moments in our history.
The fact that it's also my birthday has no bearing on this at all. ;)

If we were celebrating any day, I'd go for a bank holiday on 21st October - Trafalgar Day. One of the greatest moments in our history.
The fact that it's also my birthday has no bearing on this at all. ;)
We actual already call it Briggsy day 'round these parts. ?

Back
Top Bottom