Happy St George's day

Indeed happy St George’s day to all. I didn’t expect Oufc to be 13 points clear of relegation and in the top half on this day a few months ago. Have a good 1.

It isn't St George's day today:

Taken from another forum by a religious bod:

Today isn’t St George’s Day!

Easter is the greatest feast of the Christian year and, accordingly, no saints days interrupt the festival which continues for what is known as 'The Octave of Easter' (eight days). As with other major feasts all saints celebrations are transferred to the next available date. In the Church Calendar this year, St George’s Day is the 29th April. Which, if there was a Bank Holiday for St George would be that day anyway, as yesterday was already one.

It isn't St George's day today:

Taken from another forum by a religious bod:

Today isn’t St George’s Day!

Easter is the greatest feast of the Christian year and, accordingly, no saints days interrupt the festival which continues for what is known as 'The Octave of Easter' (eight days). As with other major feasts all saints celebrations are transferred to the next available date. In the Church Calendar this year, St George’s Day is the 29th April. Which, if there was a Bank Holiday for St George would be that day anyway, as yesterday was already one.
If you're an Anglican

Yet another reason why England really needs to pick a better national day.

Rather than celebrate some Turkish dude that apparently martyred himself a couple of millennia ago on a day that may or may not vary depending on your religious affiliation, we could.....y'know....celebrate someone or something that's actually English?

Although I say this every year and usually get accused of being unpatriotic...…..

Rather than celebrate some Turkish dude that apparently martyred himself a couple of millennia ago on a day that may or may not vary depending on your religious affiliation, we could.....y'know....celebrate someone or something that's actually English?

Although I say this every year and usually get accused of being unpatriotic...…..
St Edmund ....England's original patron saint?

Sadly on st georges day, England lost to wales... ouwfc 2 cardiff city wfc 3 ....at cpf

He wasn’t Turkish, he was a Greek who was a citizen of the Roman Empire, his life was spent in the Roman Empire at a time when England was also part of the Roman Empire. The Turks didn’t come to what we consider Turkey till about the 11th century, a good 700 years after his death, he would not even of heard of them let alone be one.

Sorry for being pedantic but it’s a bit of a pet hate of mine when people forget that people and empires/nations have moved dramatically over time, not actually that arsed about saints days but England got a nice flag out of it so probably best to just keep it.

He wasn’t Turkish, he was a Greek who was a citizen of the Roman Empire, his life was spent in the Roman Empire at a time when England was also part of the Roman Empire. The Turks didn’t come to what we consider Turkey till about the 11th century, a good 700 years after his death, he would not even of heard of them let alone be one.

Sorry for being pedantic but it’s a bit of a pet hate of mine when people forget that people and empires/nations have moved dramatically over time, not actually that arsed about saints days but England got a nice flag out of it so probably best to just keep it.

Fair enough, I'll rephrase - some dude who came from what is modern-day Turkey......

He's still a dumb person for England to be celebrating on our national day.

Back
Top Bottom